The WR FA list for 2022 is very intriguing…

eball

1 hour ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I never thought they gave him the chance he deserved nor did they use him according to his skills set. Washington can run after the catch and it always seems like they were having him run deep fly routes.

I’m interested also in Will Fuller . Adding Fuller speed to this offense would take us to another level. He needs to rebuild his stock so we can get him relatively cheap. Diggs, Gabe and Fuller would just be dangerous for opposing defenses. We also can start using Diggs more in the slot where he can be nearly as unguardable as Coop Kupp

Fuller would be significantly average in the 6 games he suits up for.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Bills were the worst YAC team offensively in the league…. They need help at wide out along with the offensive line of course.

Josh was 3rd in the NFL in passing yards on passes behind the LOS with over 800 yards from that.  

This worst YAC is a fable.  Watch the games, we run a lot of plays where the receivers curl, sit down in an open spot, or come back to the ball.  We run a lot of crossing playa to the sidelines.  And most importantly, because Josh extends plays so much, receivers are often coming back to him or running to the boundary to give him a target.

People watch the Chiefs and think we need players who can do that while failing to realize it’s not the players, it’s the offense.  Chiefs offense is built on short passes with gains on the run.  Mahomes led the league on yard gained on throws behind LOS by a lot.

Again, our offense is not the problem, nor do we need to change it to be short strikes for YAC.  We have a beast of a QB, it’s more important to support him with more protection and a consistent run game.  

• Like (+1) 1

A true pass rusher changes the game for Buffalo. Rather than criticizing McBeane for not delivering a stud rusher with picks in the mid to high 20’s, we’ve added quality D players , just not a game wrecker. Add one in FA and all of a sudden EVERYONE on the Dline is ‘improved’. Keep Beasley, draft another WR and sign a game wrecker at DE. 
Super Bowl reservations by October.

• Agree 1

Will Fuller for 1 year 3 million with chance to earn more based on playing time incentives. 

We need to add a vertical deep threat to this offense which Fuller provides in spades. Allen to Fuller on deep throws will be lethal and opens up the field for everyone else. Fuller will want to come to Buffalo to improve his stock, he’ll be motivated. It’s a no brainer. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I can't disagree more with this.  The Bengals won because their defense held the Chefs to 24 points.  The Bills do that, they're going to the SB.

Offense wins in the NFL. Bengals were a bottom tier D all year. Saints and Broncos were top 5 on D. NE was 2nd

3 hours ago, SWATeam said:

It's a good class.

One guy I find intriguing is James Washington.  Think he could be a good fit.  Deep threat undervalued by playing with Big Ben.

I thought he was gonna be big when he got drafted. But ya deep threat with big Ben the past few years didn't work. I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on him, he did nothing the past few years so he would probably come cheap.

51 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes…. Consider the two teams in the AFC championship(or even SB)…. Their skills position group are tops in the league….Would love to see the Bills get Allen those types of weapons outside. 

Agreed unfortunately…. Been saying for a while I would love to see them take a Rams like approach to the offseason, not throw away the entire draft but move some picks to get some great veteran talent in here….unfortunately the group is conservative from the top down and as you said, it’s not their type of approach to things.

Agreed, I think Beane could benefit from finding a middle ground between his current approach vs the Rams approach. Like not trading away 5+ years of 1st round picks, but rather selectively picking up that one big piece to push us over the edge (in this case, most likely that piece would be someone who gets to the QB). 

Now that the Bills are approaching the point of having their previously drafted guys entering their prime (or close to) I’m curious if Beane’s strategy changes at all. Perhaps, the first step for Beane is a mid season acquisition, picking up someone who can bring something to the table we don’t have at that point. 

Note: I know we picked up K. Benjamin, mid season, but I’m referring to a mid season acquisition with the attempt to push the team over the top.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

The SB is always going to be won by the team who can light up the score board.

I said this a couple months ago when a lot of fans here were saying "rebuild the roster" and "we need to get tougher" and "we must build a running game."

No, we must throw the ball even better than we do now and increase offense! 

If we don't win the SB in that manner, someone else will.

Look who the Final 4 teams were and who's playing in the big show...

A lot of folks here were jealous of teams like Indy and Tennessee with their "tough" build and strong running game...and at least 6 weeks ago, I commented that if you think either of those teams are going to win the SB you're insane...

I wasn't wrong.

Sorry but scoring 36 points is lighting up the score board.  Scoring 24 like the Bengals did...isn't (median scoring was around 24 PPG this season). 

And you can improve both the offense and defense.  The decision is where to best allocate resources.  Spending $15M to add another WR or a 1st rounder on a WR, one who is coming off an ACL no less, isn't the smartest use of resources.

As for the Titans and Colts, more were jealous of having a balanced attack.  So you'd be arguing for them drafting a RB in the 1st.  And utlimately, it was the Bengals' defense that shut down the Titans' offense, to the tune of 16 points.

Edited by Doc

31 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

A true pass rusher changes the game for Buffalo. Rather than criticizing McBeane for not delivering a stud rusher with picks in the mid to high 20’s, we’ve added quality D players , just not a game wrecker. Add one in FA and all of a sudden EVERYONE on the Dline is ‘improved’. Keep Beasley, draft another WR and sign a game wrecker at DE. 
Super Bowl reservations by October.

This is what the team needs more than anything. Hopefully Beane shows us all again that he is the Wizard we believe him to be. 

2 hours ago, Simon said:

I don't think it's so much an issue of “D wins championships” as it is an issue that a lack of D can lose you championships. A single sack in the 4th qrtr could have changed the outcome of that game.

I don't have an issue with the Bills bolstering their offense by making improvements on the OLine, but I think adding a dominant pass-rushing DE could be equally effective.

Many say mahomes just had a bad game against the bengals, I disagree. I think the difference between the bills and bengals beating the chiefs was Hubbard getting his hands on mahomes and getting him to the ground. After that, mahomes was off. The bills got to mahomes and he leaked out for big gains, it fueled mahomes. Bengals had a difference maker on defense that made a play and now the bengals are going to the super bowl. So I agree with your take, a single sack by the bills and I think we host the bengals.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Josh was 3rd in the NFL in passing yards on passes behind the LOS with over 800 yards from that.  

This worst YAC is a fable.  Watch the games, we run a lot of plays where the receivers curl, sit down in an open spot, or come back to the ball.  We run a lot of crossing playa to the sidelines.  And most importantly, because Josh extends plays so much, receivers are often coming back to him or running to the boundary to give him a target.

People watch the Chiefs and think we need players who can do that while failing to realize it’s not the players, it’s the offense.  Chiefs offense is built on short passes with gains on the run.  Mahomes led the league on yard gained on throws behind LOS by a lot.

Again, our offense is not the problem, nor do we need to change it to be short strikes for YAC.  We have a beast of a QB, it’s more important to support him with more protection and a consistent run game.  

I agree , but I do think we need to upgrade at the 3 and 4 receiver spots.  I think Beasley is on the decline and MacKenzie is very likely a goner.  Hopefully Stephenson can step up into MacKenzie's role - I am sure that was the plan in drafting him - but I suspect the Bills will be looking to draft another WR with that skill set and better this year, although probably not in the first.  They also need a TE which may be better found in FA than the draft.  

Beane's staff will earn their money looking for a FA upgrade for Beasley that they can afford.  One option could be Jakobi Meyers who is an RFA this year.  They could probably steal him from NE for relatively cheap.  I am sure their will be other potential guys out there.  

Edited by FLFan

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

First think Beane will need to do is cut some players and rework some existing contracts so he can have so money to spend. Right now we're over the cap

This. Plus we have what 16-18 FA' of our own we need to figure out first.

Plus trying to keep with the thread topic.🤔

I'm glad Coloradobills peaked in. I always look for his CAP threads (my local capologist.😉).

@coloradobills. How we looking there boss? Restructure, our own FA signings and draft. What's left in the bank account?😂

Edited by LyndonvilleBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I agree , but I do think we need to upgrade at the 3 and 4 receiver spots.  I think Beasley is on the decline and MacKenzie is very likely a goner.  Hopefully Stephenson can step up into MacKenzie's role - I am sure that was the plan in drafting him - but I suspect the Bills will be looking to draft another WR with that skill set and better this year, although probably not in the first.  They also need a TE which may be better found in FA than the draft.  

Beane's staff will earn their money looking for a FA upgrade for Beasley that they can afford.  One option could be Jakobi Meyers who is an RFA this year.  They could probably steal him from NE for relatively cheap.  I am sure their will be other potential guys out there.  

Oh yeah, we definitely need to add someone, but I just don’t think we need some crazy move at WR that some suggest.  

I disagree about Cole though.  He stepped up every time he was called upon, stats were down because last year him and Diggs got more targets with Brown being hurt most of the year.  This year, Sanders, the emergence of Knox, that surge of Davis, and the use of the RBs more led to just less targets to go around.

I think we are solid at the top 3 spots and I think Stevenson is set at the returner.  Be interesting to see if he can contribute as a WR, if so, they may only add one guy and keep just 5 (assuming McKenzie doesn’t come back).  If he is just gonna be a return guy, then they likely keep 6 WRs, meaning we add 2 (unless McKenzie comes back, then one more).  

Wildcard would be if Cole gets traded, but unless that happens, he will be back for sure.

Edited by Alphadawg7

13 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

This. Plus we have what 16-18 FA' of our own we need to figure out first.

Plus trying to keep with the thread topic.🤔

I'm glad Coloradobills peaked in. I always look for his CAP threads (my local capologist.😉).

@coloradobills. How we looking there boss? Restructure, our own FA signings and draft. What's left in the bank account?😂

Right now over the cap,  Beane could create around 35 million with some acceptable cuts and a few players restructure.

1 hour ago, billykay said:

Fuller is a walking hamstring. It seems like every year.

I'd be open to a flier on Fuller but he would have to come cheap. Very cheap. He was 1 year, $10m with the fins to prove he could stay healthy and couldn't stay healthy. I think he is looking at 1 year about half that in 2022. 

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Oh yeah, we definitely need to add someone, but I just don’t think we need some crazy move at WR that some suggest.  

I disagree about Cole though.  He stepped up every time he was called upon, stats were down because last year him and Diggs got more targets with Brown being hurt most of the year.  This year, Sanders, the emergence of Knox, that surge of Davis, and the use of the RBs more led to just less targets to go around.

I think we are solid at the top 3 spots and I think Stevenson is set at the returner.  Be interesting to see if he can contribute as a WR, if so, they may only add one guy and keep just 5 (assuming McKenzie doesn’t come back).  If he is just gonna be a return guy, then they likely keep 6 WRs, meaning we add 2 (unless McKenzie comes back, then one more).  

Wildcard would be if Cole gets traded, but unless that happens, he will be back for sure.

I'd say the wildcard is if they find someone in FA to replace him, for less than his cap savings.  If they do, it's sayonara and thanks for the memories.

9 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

Agreed, I think Beane could benefit from finding a middle ground between his current approach vs the Rams approach. Like not trading away 5+ years of 1st round picks, but rather selectively picking up that one big piece to push us over the edge (in this case, most likely that piece would be someone who gets to the QB). 

Now that the Bills are approaching the point of having their previously drafted guys entering their prime (or close to) I’m curious if Beane’s strategy changes at all. Perhaps, the first step for Beane is a mid season acquisition, picking up someone who can bring something to the table we don’t have at that point. 

I think a logical slight adjustment for Beane and Co to make is to take advantage of now being considered a SB Contender, offensive juggernaut, great QB, team.  This upgrade allows for getting top shelf prove it players (see Fournette/OBJ/A Brown/Gronk).  It has been done by NE, recently Tampa, and by the Rams.  The Bills are now in that category and should be taking advantage.  These are the top quality players that want to go to showcase themselves on proof it deals.  See Fournette/OBJ/A Brown/Gronk/Ertz.

I would like to see the Bills get a player or two from that pool now. My first choice is OBJ.  Spotrac has OBJ estimated at under $6M.  Gronk is back on the market, as is Ertz.  A Brown could come dirt cheap.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.