Barbarian Draft

Buffalo Barbarian

Using drafftek big board so dont freak out about the rankings, they will get in line as the draft approaches. 

1. Treylon Burks Arkansas WR 6'3"232 , 4.3 /40

2. Trent McDuffie Washington CB 5'11"190

3. Abraham Lucas Washington State OT 6'6"328

4. Jelani Woods Virginia TE 6'7"275

5. Greg Dulcich UCLA TE 6'4"238

5. Jacub Panasiuk Michigan State EDGE 6'4"255

6.Jerrod Clark Coastal Carolina DL1T 6'3"335

6. Tayland Humphrey UL Lafayette DL1T 6'5"349

7. Tycen Anderson Toledo CB 6'2"210

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Using drafftek big board so dont freak out about the rankings, they will get in line as the draft approaches. 

1. Treylon Burks Arkansas WR 6'3"232 , 4.3 /40

2. Trent McDuffie Washington CB 5'11"190

3. Abraham Lucas Washington State OT 6'6"328

4. Jelani Woods Virginia TE 6'7"275

5. Greg Dulcich UCLA TE 6'4"238

5. Jacub Panasiuk Michigan State EDGE 6'4"255

6.Jerrod Clark Coastal Carolina DL1T 6'3"335

6. Tayland Humphrey UL Lafayette DL1T 6'5"349

7. Tycen Anderson Toledo CB 6'2"210

2 TEs Barbarian?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

2 TEs Barbarian?

didn't plan on it but really like both of those guys. That Dulcich has great hands and is a good route runner.

7 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Burks is an excellent player and would be a perfect fit on the Bills. The question is will he last? 

Hopefully but you know how the rankings change as the draft gets closer.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Would absolutely love those first 2. Not sure either lasts to that point. I'm not as high on McDuffie as I am on his running mate in Washington Kyler Gordon but I think both are gone late first / early 2nd. 

Jelani Woods gets a mention in my Shrine game write up. 

I like the profile write up of McDuffie so went with him, didn't get to see any Washington games this year.

Jelani is a freak and McBeane like their height, weight and length guys.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I like the profile write up of McDuffie so went with him, didn't get to see any Washington games this year.

Jelani is a freak and McBeane like their height, weight and length guys.

Yea I would not be against McDuffie at that spot at all. Wouldn't love him at #25 but second round? Absolutely. 

Only thing on Jelani is whether his speed brings his RAS score down and we know last year in particular the Bills were all about high RAS guys. I think he would be a very good fit here though. He is exactly the kind of guy I'd like behind Dawson. A guy that blocks and while not a break away threat in the pass game is a big target with safe hands.

• Like (+1) 1

I worry that they’ll draft a corner early day 3. Besides Tre they’ve only drafted DB’s on day 3. Siran Neal, Taron Johnson, Jaquan Johnson, Dane Jackson, and Damar Hamlin were all day 3 picks. 

I think they’ll sign a cheaper vet as insurance against Tre (Jason Verrett?) and let Jackson battle s rookie or two for playing time. 

But ultimately I like the first two picks.

Edited by Dkollidas
  • Like (+1) 1

This is long but I actually took the time to think out my picks from what was available and tried to reason out each one of them.   Is it sexy?  No but I think it makes sense and was successful.

I didn't like what was there at 25 so I traded back to Tennessee for 26 and their 5th round next year.  They took safety Lewis Cine

Then Green Bay offered me the 28th and their 3rd next year for the 26th.   They took linebacker Devin Lloyd

At 28 Seattle rang wanting that pick and the 89th for the 41st, 72nd and their 2nd round pick next year.  They took OT Trevor Penning at 28 and running back Jerome Ford at 89.

Still not liking how the board was falling when Pitt called for 41 and 245 while offering 52 and 84 I accepted.  They took QB Carson Strong and QB Mike Beaudry.

At 52 I took Derion Kendrick a 6'0 200lb CB from UGA.  He started out at Clemson as a WR and was compared to Sammy Watkins.  His sophomore year he switched to CB because of numerous injuries in that room.  After a couple of games Clemson made the move permanent and he finished the season 2nd team All-ACC.  He was even better his junior year and finished 1st team All-ACC.  Then after being suspended from the team he entered the transfer portal which allowed UGA to pick him up.  He finished last season 2nd team All-ACC, was the MVP of the Orange Bowl and won his 2nd national Championship.  More importantly Smart and Swinney both speak very high of him and Smart went as far to say he was the key player that allowed their defense to excel.  He played in the Senior Bowl and did not allow a completion.

Next next pick was Phadrian Mathais at 57th.   He's a massive 6'4" 312lb from Alabama where he played DT and appeared in 54 games over his 4 years.  He was known as a power player who was a great run stuffer with only 1.5 sacks over his first 3 years (40 games).  I say was because this past season he dropped the QB an amazing 9 times from the DT spot in addition to adding 49 tackles, including 10.5 for a loss, a forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries and 2 passes deflected .  Mathais was also defensive captain this past season.

In the 3rd round I traded the 72nd pick and a 5th from next year to move up and get 6'0 200lb CB Kyler Gordon of Washington.   He has great athletic ability.  Is considered very "football" smart.  A willing hitter at the line.   Solid in coverage and can play zone or man.  He has a high floor and a very high ceiling.  If not for Stingley, Booth, McDuffie (his teammate at Washington), Gardner and McCreary teams would be looking his way as a 1st round prospect but his draft is deep at the top of the CB board so he slides.

With the 84th selection that I got from Pitt I took OC Alec Lindstrom from Boston College.  He finished with the No. 3 pass blocking grade in the country at center (84.6) and allowed just one sack and two quarterback hits last season.  He was All-ACC twice and a finalist for the Rimington Trophy which is given to the nation's top center.  He finished 2nd to Tyler Linderbaum.   He can play guard although center is his natural and best position.  With the concussion's Morse has had and it being the last year of his contract drafting and insurance policy for this season and developmental replacement.   His brother has been the starting guard for the Falcons over the last 2 years.

The next selection I had was 127th and with that I took Alec Pierce a 6'3 210lb WR from Cincinnati.  While there a number of great receivers in this draft Pierce may very well have the best hands of them all.   In addition he is long armed and his coach said when a 50-50 ball is thrown to him it becomes a 60-40 or 70-30 because of the radius he possesses.  He's not just tall and long - he's fast and should run a 4.4 to 4.5 40 plus he showed out not just during the season 884 yards on 52 catches - a 17 average but also at the Senior Bowl where he reportedly had one of the best weeks of practice.  

I then traded away #167 in the 5th round for #180 and #199 to the Jags who took OG Chasen Hines.

At 180 I selected Obinna Eze from TCU.  When it comes to tackles Beane likes them big and Eze is huge.  He's 6'8 330 with quick feet.  At TCU they would have him pull frequently on running plays.  While a very good run blocker he still has a lot of work to do mostly because he only played 1 year in high school and while at Memphis he didn't play his first year, in only 5 games his second year and 14 in his last year before transferring to TCU where he started 11 games.  In other words he's very raw but has an upside as big as he is and you can't coach size.

With pick 185 I took Josh Paschal a 3 year starting DE for Kentucky.  He's got decent size at 6'3" 275lbs and has played both on the edge and inside.  While not a great pass rusher he was lauded for his play against the run and was named 2nd team All-SEC.  He's strong but not overly quick and like most players this late in the draft has to work on his technique.   That being said the way the Bills rotate DEs during the game he might have a chance to be more than inactive on game days.

The 199th pick that I got from the Jags I picked up Iowa State LB Mike Rose.   He's considered one of the best LBs they have ever produced and he has the numbers to go with it including 41 Tkls for loss.  He was 1st team All-Big 12 in both 2020 and 2021.   Last year in addition to being one of the top tacklers in the nation he had 5 Ints which was the 3rd most of any LB in the country.  A quick big hitter with coverage skills and size (6'4" 245lbs) its almost as if he was built to cover TEs.

Seeing the Bills lost Fromm and Webb to the Giants at 204 I took Jack Coan from Notre Dame.   The QB had a very good season for the Irish completing 66.5% of his passes to go with 25 TDs to 6 Ints.  His previous season, in Wisconsin he completed 69.6% of his passes and threw for 18 TDs vs 5 Ints.   He played in practices for the Shrine Bowl and played very well so far.

My last selection was Jake Camarda from Georgia.  Yes I took a punter.  He's consider the best in the nation and I have little confidence in Haack.  In his 4 seasons there he averaged nearly 46 yards.   Out of 187 punts he put 69 within the 20, 57 were fair caught, 22 downed, only 32 returned and 67 that were longer than 50 yards.  Not only was he the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year he had a great Senior Bowl Week (where they found Bass) and in the game he average 51 yards on 6 punts with a long of 58 yards.  

So to recap I finished with:

52 - Derion Kendrick CB Georgia

57 - Phadarian Mathias DT Alabama

69 - Kyler Gordon CB Washington

84 - Alec Lindstrom OC Boston College

127 - Alec Pierce WR Cincinnati 

180 - Obinna Eze OT TCU

185- Josh Paschal DE Kentucky

199 - Mike Rose LB Iowa St

204 - Jack Coan QB Notre Dame

230 - Jake Camarda Punter Georgia

In 2023 - Seattle's 2nd round, Green Bay's 3rd and Tennessee's 5th round selections. 

Edited by FlaFitz1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:05 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Burks is an excellent player and would be a perfect fit on the Bills. The question is will he last? 

Man, Burks is BIG and looks fast to me on video.  He could be great - but you are right, he is likely gone before Bills’ pick.

Do you like either Olave or Penn State WR?

Think very likely a CB in round 1, but depends how it falls.  If a WR they can’t pass over is there, they could come back with CB and interior DL on day 2, but that still leaves IOL unaddressed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Man, Burks is BIG and looks fast to me on video.  He could be great - but you are right, he is likely gone before Bills’ pick.

Do you like either Olave or Penn State WR?

Think very likely a CB in round 1, but depends how it falls.  If a WR they can’t pass over is there, they could come back with CB and interior DL on day 2, but that still leaves IOL unaddressed.

Tbh, I have not seen enough of either of them to make a pertinent comment. I focus primarily on the SEC. I really do hope they avoid a DB in round one. Josh is GREAT and he needs and deserves more weapons and protection. 

If the top wrs are gone, there still might be some high quality offensive linemen left when we pick. If not, I hope that they trade out of the first round if they can get a suitable offer. 

I'm no expert, but I think that this draft is the worst one since perhaps 2013. 

As always, jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/8/2022 at 11:25 AM, H2o said:

This is one I just did on the PFF Simulator.

image.thumb.png.34fa0b85c48c9b7efa316b7484072a00.png

LB is never happening round one

On 2/8/2022 at 2:01 PM, FlaFitz1 said:

This is long but I actually took the time to think out my picks from what was available and tried to reason out each one of them.   Is it sexy?  No but I think it makes sense and was successful.

I didn't like what was there at 25 so I traded back to Tennessee for 26 and their 5th round next year.  They took safety Lewis Cine

Then Green Bay offered me the 28th and their 3rd next year for the 26th.   They took linebacker Devin Lloyd

At 28 Seattle rang wanting that pick and the 89th for the 41st, 72nd and their 2nd round pick next year.  They took OT Trevor Penning at 28 and running back Jerome Ford at 89.

Still not liking how the board was falling when Pitt called for 41 and 245 while offering 52 and 84 I accepted.  They took QB Carson Strong and QB Mike Beaudry.

At 52 I took Derion Kendrick a 6'0 200lb CB from UGA.  He started out at Clemson as a WR and was compared to Sammy Watkins.  His sophomore year he switched to CB because of numerous injuries in that room.  After a couple of games Clemson made the move permanent and he finished the season 2nd team All-ACC.  He was even better his junior year and finished 1st team All-ACC.  Then after being suspended from the team he entered the transfer portal which allowed UGA to pick him up.  He finished last season 2nd team All-ACC, was the MVP of the Orange Bowl and won his 2nd national Championship.  More importantly Smart and Swinney both speak very high of him and Smart went as far to say he was the key player that allowed their defense to excel.  He played in the Senior Bowl and did not allow a completion.

Next next pick was Phadrian Mathais at 57th.   He's a massive 6'4" 312lb from Alabama where he played DT and appeared in 54 games over his 4 years.  He was known as a power player who was a great run stuffer with only 1.5 sacks over his first 3 years (40 games).  I say was because this past season he dropped the QB an amazing 9 times from the DT spot in addition to adding 49 tackles, including 10.5 for a loss, a forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries and 2 passes deflected .  Mathais was also defensive captain this past season.

In the 3rd round I traded the 72nd pick and a 5th from next year to move up and get 6'0 200lb CB Kyler Gordon of Washington.   He has great athletic ability.  Is considered very "football" smart.  A willing hitter at the line.   Solid in coverage and can play zone or man.  He has a high floor and a very high ceiling.  If not for Stingley, Booth, McDuffie (his teammate at Washington), Gardner and McCreary teams would be looking his way as a 1st round prospect but his draft is deep at the top of the CB board so he slides.

With the 84th selection that I got from Pitt I took OC Alec Lindstrom from Boston College.  He finished with the No. 3 pass blocking grade in the country at center (84.6) and allowed just one sack and two quarterback hits last season.  He was All-ACC twice and a finalist for the Rimington Trophy which is given to the nation's top center.  He finished 2nd to Tyler Linderbaum.   He can play guard although center is his natural and best position.  With the concussion's Morse has had and it being the last year of his contract drafting and insurance policy for this season and developmental replacement.   His brother has been the starting guard for the Falcons over the last 2 years.

The next selection I had was 127th and with that I took Alec Pierce a 6'3 210lb WR from Cincinnati.  While there a number of great receivers in this draft Pierce may very well have the best hands of them all.   In addition he is long armed and his coach said when a 50-50 ball is thrown to him it becomes a 60-40 or 70-30 because of the radius he possesses.  He's not just tall and long - he's fast and should run a 4.4 to 4.5 40 plus he showed out not just during the season 884 yards on 52 catches - a 17 average but also at the Senior Bowl where he reportedly had one of the best weeks of practice.  

I then traded away #167 in the 5th round for #180 and #199 to the Jags who took OG Chasen Hines.

At 180 I selected Obinna Eze from TCU.  When it comes to tackles Beane likes them big and Eze is huge.  He's 6'8 330 with quick feet.  At TCU they would have him pull frequently on running plays.  While a very good run blocker he still has a lot of work to do mostly because he only played 1 year in high school and while at Memphis he didn't play his first year, in only 5 games his second year and 14 in his last year before transferring to TCU where he started 11 games.  In other words he's very raw but has an upside as big as he is and you can't coach size.

With pick 185 I took Josh Paschal a 3 year starting DE for Kentucky.  He's got decent size at 6'3" 275lbs and has played both on the edge and inside.  While not a great pass rusher he was lauded for his play against the run and was named 2nd team All-SEC.  He's strong but not overly quick and like most players this late in the draft has to work on his technique.   That being said the way the Bills rotate DEs during the game he might have a chance to be more than inactive on game days.

The 199th pick that I got from the Jags I picked up Iowa State LB Mike Rose.   He's considered one of the best LBs they have ever produced and he has the numbers to go with it including 41 Tkls for loss.  He was 1st team All-Big 12 in both 2020 and 2021.   Last year in addition to being one of the top tacklers in the nation he had 5 Ints which was the 3rd most of any LB in the country.  A quick big hitter with coverage skills and size (6'4" 245lbs) its almost as if he was built to cover TEs.

Seeing the Bills lost Fromm and Webb to the Giants at 204 I took Jack Coan from Notre Dame.   The QB had a very good season for the Irish completing 66.5% of his passes to go with 25 TDs to 6 Ints.  His previous season, in Wisconsin he completed 69.6% of his passes and threw for 18 TDs vs 5 Ints.   He played in practices for the Shrine Bowl and played very well so far.

My last selection was Jake Camarda from Georgia.  Yes I took a punter.  He's consider the best in the nation and I have little confidence in Haack.  In his 4 seasons there he averaged nearly 46 yards.   Out of 187 punts he put 69 within the 20, 57 were fair caught, 22 downed, only 32 returned and 67 that were longer than 50 yards.  Not only was he the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year he had a great Senior Bowl Week (where they found Bass) and in the game he average 51 yards on 6 punts with a long of 58 yards.  

So to recap I finished with:

52 - Derion Kendrick CB Georgia

57 - Phadarian Mathias DT Alabama

69 - Kyler Gordon CB Washington

84 - Alec Lindstrom OC Boston College

127 - Alec Pierce WR Cincinnati 

180 - Obinna Eze OT TCU

185- Josh Paschal DE Kentucky

199 - Mike Rose LB Iowa St

204 - Jack Coan QB Notre Dame

230 - Jake Camarda Punter Georgia

In 2023 - Seattle's 2nd round, Green Bay's 3rd and Tennessee's 5th round selections. 

Thats a lot work, good job.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.