Why did Marv not directly replace Ted Marchiabroda?

JohnNord

22 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The other day, I couldn’t remember who the Bills offense coordinator during the SB era was after Ted Marchiabroda left to coach Indy.  

I looked it up only to find that there really wasn’t a direct replacement.  Marv did two things - promoted running backs coach Elijah Pitts to Assistant HC and named Tom Bresnahan OC on top of duties as OL coach.   So it wasn’t a situation like we just had in Buffalo where Dorsey was promoted to OC and then Joe Brady was hired to take his job as QB coach.  

Does anyone remember what went into this decision to not replace Marchiabroda with someone from the outside?

Also what was the role of Elijah Pitts as Assistant HC?

Finally I noticed that Bresnahan along with DC Walt Corey had position responsibilities on top of their jobs as coordinators.  Was this something the Bills did to save money on coaches?  Oddly enough Marchiabroda was only OC.  

This was the start of my fandom so I don’t remember much things like this…

For whatever it is worth, Norv Turner was OC and QB coach and Dave Wannstedt was DC and LB coach for Dallas. I’m pretty sure no one ever accused Jerry of being cheap.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I love Marv. I mean he may be the reason I'm a Bills fan. But he was an awful game day coach as a strategist. The first Super Bowl was proof positive. Kelly's ego and Marv's hands off approach lost us that Super Bowl. That should have been the Thurman Thomas Super Bowl. It's where Belichick learned to steal our lunch. Same thing with the Jimmy Johnson Dallas teams. We just couldn't adjust or get out of our own way. Amazing underutilized talent on our side of the ball.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, cale said:

I love Marv. I mean he may be the reason I'm a Bills fan. But he was an awful game day coach as a strategist. The first Super Bowl was proof positive. Kelly's ego and Marv's hands off approach lost us that Super Bowl. That should have been the Thurman Thomas Super Bowl. It's where Belichick learned to steal our lunch. Same thing with the Jimmy Johnson Dallas teams. We just couldn't adjust or get out of our own way. Amazing underutilized talent on our side of the ball.

Absolutely correct!!!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, cale said:

I think you are talking two very situations.  Yes the Bills were out coached in every Super Bowl.  However as you pointed out, Buffalo had the superior roster to NYG in SB25.   The Giants defense was very good, but Buffalo had a pretty advantage and should have won the game.  The play calling on offense was trash and Walt Corey out together a horrible game plan on defense.  

The Dallas teams were just more talented than Buffalo.  Also well coached.  It would have taken a perfect performance for the Bills to win either of those two Super Bowls.  They pulled it off for one half in SB28

Edited by JohnNord
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

You don't need a master's degree from Harvard to know that he was outcoached in some of those Super Bowls. 

When Reed, Thomas, Kelly and Smith were getting older, Levy made little effort to replace them. He just kept drafting defensive backs in a league that was far more run oriented at the time. The team went straight downhill and Levy was reduced to standing next to Mauck and accompanying him in a screaming, spitting, foul mouthed, useless duet. I guess that you never noticed these trivial things.

In any case, thanks so much for allowing me to post opinions on a message board.  It matters.

Bill, please don’t let the less informed here drive you away again. You are missed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, JohnNord said:

The Dallas teams were just more talented than Buffalo.  Also well coached.  It would have taken a perfect performance for the Bills to win either of those two Super Bowls.  They pulled it off for one half in SB28

The real mismatch of all 4 was XXVI, against Washington.

They gave us a total butt kicking and we would have lost to them 5 out of 5 times, by a lot.

The NFC East was the class of the league back then.

Marv Levy. Well me being in that era brought back memories of he chewing OUT referees on the sideline dude got ANIMATED and right

up in the referees Face. FEISTY ole bugger!  He came to san diego once to speak at a national university event, my buddy was his chauffeur

and greeter at the airport. "Hello Michael this is Marv Levy. Reach me at yadda yadda yadda." He sez "MUPPY check this out" and plays

the recording from his phone to me...LOL Im like you did not just meet Marv Levy and drive him from the airport. My buddy of course knew I was a huge bills fan. 

m

Edited by muppy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.