Bills 2021 rookie class ranked 27th in league

BillsFan619

Here’s the link. Thoughts?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-2021-rookie-class-does-161553746.html

I thought Groot was showing promise after his INT of Mahomes in KC but he seemed to peter out after that.

Spencer Brown was the best of the 2021 Bills rookie class. He could have a great 2nd year.

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Haha (+1) 1

• BillsFan619 changed the title to Bills 2021 rookie class ranked 27th in league

Aside from the fact that it is way too early to really tell the impact of this rookie class, this was the headline of the article:

Bills 2021 rookie class does not fare well in ESPN ranking

And they ranked them 27th.  Considering the Bills picked 30th, wouldn't that make them slightly above average?  That article is saying that the Bills outperformed their draft position, but then also says they did not fare well.  😕

• Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

And they ranked them 27th.  Considering the Bills picked 30th, wouldn't that make them slightly above average?  That article is saying that the Bills outperformed their draft position, but then also says they did not fare well.  😕

It doesn't work that way.

There isn't necessarily a correlation between draft order and draft quality.

The top teams in the draft year after year often remain terrible--look at the Buffalo Sabres.

And they are picking at the top.

27th for the Bills is NOT a good score but the drafting has been pretty terrible under this regime.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Disagree 6
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Dislike 7

I'm not sure of the other teams 7 round picks but I think it's fair to say bills draft class was a bit underwhelming. (It's still super early of course)

Groot- Started off good then hit the rookie wall a bit

Basham- Inactive half the time. Made some plays when he was in.

Brown- Probably the most exciting. Lots of highs but definitely some lows

Doyle- Found a bit of a role at the end of the year but ultimately didn't do a lot.

Stevenson- Injured and then inactive for a lot of the time.

Wildgoose- Plucked off the practice squad.

Anderson- Plucked off the practice squad.

So ultimately their rookies didn't contribute a lot.

Brown probably had the most important role.

I am optimistic about Groot and Brown for the future. For the others I'm not so sure

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It actually does work that way.  Drafting at the top is an advantage.  Of course, that does not make your team instantly good....or ever good.  As you mention, see the Sabres.

If you draft bad, you can fritter away your draft position, but there is a reason that teams trade up.

• Agree 3

I think they got 2 starters and 2 solid backups out of this draft. When you are a team that's in the final 4 the year before it's hard to find players that can even make your roster let alone get a lot of playing time. This year we need DL and CB help and I'd like them to get a McKenzie type speedster and a short yardage RB

• Like (+1) 3

Hopefully the Basham pick works out and he shows more in a bigger role next year… but when your 2nd RD pick is a luxury pick that barely plays, I wouldn’t expect a high draft grade after one year… especially being late in the draft order.  

Rousseau and Brown show a lot of promise, but outside of them, not much to really write home about yet… especially when two picks were plucked off the PS. 

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The top teams in the draft year after year often remain terrible--look at the Buffalo Sabres.

27th for the Bills is NOT a good score but the drafting has been pretty terrible under this regime.

It has? Multiple starters every year, have you seen other teams drafts? 

• Agree 6

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Do you ever get bored of being so wrong about everything?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Interesting point that we're 27th after picking 30th.  I hadn't thought of it that way.  Not sure it's correct, but it certainly puts you at a disadvantage. (A top 10 Blue chip is certainly more likely to have a big impact relative to a late 1st rounder.)

But I think where we need to be graded on a curve is that we started off w/ an already solid roster, so there's less chance to contribute & make an impact. 

Our top 2 picks were D-line & w/ our rotational system & w/ the other players, did you really expect much  more?  Perhaps Groot could've been better.  We got a starter in the 3rd round.  And although our later picks didn't contribute to our success, other teams thought enough of them to pilfer them.

The fact that we didn't need them to contribute is a good thing.  Let's see what becomes of them this yr.  Potentially Groot & Basham will take over & be the more dominant ends.  If Doyle & Stevenson manage to stick around, all the better.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

This is not true. This topic has been discussed to exhaustion. 

Just because you continue to repeat it, doesn’t make it true. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5

It’s a fair assessment for now. Of course , a draft still takes a few seasons to get a true grade. As was brought up, the Chiefs were a final four team as well and got more out of their picks than the Bills. Brown made a solid and important contribution to the Bills OL in 2021. If he’s a long term RT and Rousseau turns into a dependable pass rushing threat the draft will be a good one. If the Bills had selected Humphrey,  they’d probably get an A. 

• Like (+1) 2

McBeane has struggled to find immediate impact in the draft. Especially in the top 100 picks.

This entire board has shown concern for that the last few years.

But one article points that out and everybody gets a stick up their butt.

Our best pick so far was Brown. By far. Groot was not exciting. Basham couldn’t get on the field. 

McBeane have to be better here. Have to! Allen is still only taking $16M next year. We can’t afford to have players in the top 100 picks come on just before new contracts (Oliver, Harry)

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

McBeane has struggled to find immediate impact in the draft. Especially in the top 100 picks.

Our best pick so far was Brown. By far. Groot was not exciting. Basham couldn’t get on the field. 

McBeane have to be better here. Have to! Allen is still only taking $16M next year. We can’t afford to have players in the top 100 picks come on just before new contracts (Oliver, Harry)

For some reason, that's how these online sports forums are.

They are predominantly made up of kool aid drinkers incapable of critical objective analysis.

Here is the irony---those who defend Edmunds now (for example) will make jokes about him the moment we move on from him and he is on some other team.

It never fails! 

😯

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Unfortunately, CMcD doesn’t seem to trust rookies much so it will be hard for a rookie to breakout their year unless they are truly elite. Even with an elite player I don’t see CMcD trusting them much especially if they make a mistake.

Either way I get why they rank the classes but it’s too early. 

6 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

Unfortunately, CMcD doesn’t seem to trust rookies much so it will be hard for a rookie to breakout their year unless they are truly elite. Even with an elite player I don’t see CMcD trusting them much especially if they make a mistake.

Either way I get why they rank the classes but it’s too early. 

AJE isn’t bad because of McD. I don’t think Basham is a healthy scratch more often than not because he’s a rookie. Tre was a full one starter his rookie year. Groot is 2 in DE snap counts slightly behind Hughes. Oliver Lead DT in snap counts his rookie year. Edmunds was a full time Starter day 1. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is what happens with teams who draft very late.

First, you don't get a shot till in this case 29 other teams have picked. And second your roster is a ton stronger and it's hard for rookies to get many snaps.

It's just what happens. In a few years we'll have a better idea.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.