Should there be an NFL Lottery?

Miyagi-Do Karate

21 hours ago, loyal2dagame said:

No good for the NFL.

You can have a 9 or 10 win team miss the playoffs because they are in a tough division and end up with the #1 pick. Throws off the balance in the league and it will destroy the parity the NFL has worked so hard to achieve. 

The lottery would only adjust the bottom 4 or 5 teams so your scenario would not happen.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Firstly I don't think that deliberate tanking by coaches and players does actually happen that much in the NFL. Even in the current story the premise is the owner was the one who wanted to tank and was concerned that the coach and players were trying too hard. The same happened this year where the two teams vying for the number 1 pick both won week 18, including the Jags knocking off a potential playoff team. 

Secondly I hate the idea of voluntarily adding randomness. There is enough luck and randomness in sport in the games. Don't unnecessarily manufacture it in the structures too. A lottery isn't based on anything. Would be absolutely the wrong call to my mind. 

The browns did it too in 2016. Uncompetitive through the first 14 games (especially down the stretch) and once they clinched #1 after 14 games, they all of a sudden became competitive in the final two games. 

As for randomness, I hear you,  but I am only arguing for this approach for the first round. The worst team would pick first in rounds 2-7, and football is a sport where those later rounds really matter with regard to producing good players (unlike say the NBA).

Edited by dave mcbride

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The browns did it too in 2016. Uncompetitive through the first 14 games (especially down the stretch) and once they clinched #1 after 14 games, they all of a sudden became competitive in the final two games. 

As for randomness, I hear you,  but I am only arguing for this approach for the first round. The worst team would pick first in rounds 2-7, and football is a sport where those later rounds really matter with regard to producing good players (unlike say the NBA).

That’s a good plan👍

Every year people assume teams are tanking to get the first pick, so much so that there is a website that tracks draft order called Tankathon. 

But somehow people are outraged when they find evidence that its really happening?

The NFL draft order is fine.  If youre aghast that tanking is happening, imagine all the beautiful ways a lottery can be rigged!

Personally I feel like the entire world needs to grow a pair or get a little common sense.

On 2/5/2022 at 8:58 AM, papazoid said:

tanking is not worth it !!

take the browns....they tanked at least two years in a row.....resulting in them getting the #1 overall pick twice

how'd that work out for them ???  NOT  SO  GOOD !!....lol

i am absolutely against a draft lottery.....it hinders PARITY

the advantages of parity far outweigh the possible disadvantages of tanking

one of the main reasons the NFL is so great is PARITY

the NBA & NHL have a draft lottery......do they have parity ??.....heck NO

in fact, an argument can be made that a draft lottery would make tanking worse by incentivizing even more teams to have a shot at the #1 overall pick. the current set up involves maybe 2-3 teams with a chance.....a draft lottery gives all 18 non playoff a chance at #1

It totally depends if there is a readily identifiable "slam dunk" future franchise QB.  The only two slam dunks in my lifetime worth tanking for  were Andrew Luch and Peyton Manning,  

A lottery system huh.

Yep, the NFL would NEVER favor one team over another, there would be NO CONTROVERSY, NO CONSPIRACY theories, none.

Imagine if the Patriots happened to win the lottery despite all odds.

I am only a modest hockey fan but everytime I see Connor McDavid tearing up the league, makes me want to hate the NHL draft,

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.