Should there be an NFL Lottery?

Miyagi-Do Karate

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

isn’t the way to account for that to change the odds based on record, or

narrow the lottery group to those with x wins or fewer? 

Not saying I would support the lottery, but there are measures in place that could still preserve parity. 

Yes NBA and NHL give the worse team a bigger chance more balls in the bingo machine for the worst teams

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I thought you were dragging the Tua pick

Not for the purposes of this discussion (despite their records, Herbert is the far better QB and this isn't even debatable).  What I'm saying is that it's entirely plausible that Ross wanted Flores to tank in his first season so as to get a shot at Tua in the upcoming draft, not every season that he was HC.  And also that Flores didn't listen to Ross because he won games late in his first year and finished with an almost .500 record overall.

Edited by Doc

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

With all the talk about intentional tanking in Miami and Cleveland (stemming from the Flores lawsuit), should the NFL change its draft format? 

Jason McCourtey alluded to the NFL doing a lottery similar to the NBA, where basically the non-playoff teams go into the lottery for their draft position. The worst record team is guaranteed no worse than the 5th draft pick. 

Would such a system work in the NFL

and be better for competitive balance and anti-tanking? 

I hate the lotteries in NBA, NHL.  I will forever suspect that the NBA rigged their first draft lottery to put Patrick Ewing in NY.  

The whole point of the draft is to help the worst teams get better.  Anything that allows a very weak team to fall more than a few spots in the draft due to a lottery is not working in that direction.

Honestly, for fans of bad teams the quest for high picks is entertaining in itself.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

It's going to happen.  The Flores lawsuit guarantees it.

Maybe there will be a quota system for management position.  And, maybe a players quota as well.  That knife would cut in reverse for folks of color. (see Bakke vs Univ of California)

Lottery is not needed.   Make a rule that if a HC or coach is told to tank to report it to the NFL.  If not, they can be held culpable too.  The person asking for them to tank lifetime ban and if it is the owner, loss of the franchise.  Akin to the NCAA death penalty.  Just a thought.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

With all the talk about intentional tanking in Miami and Cleveland (stemming from the Flores lawsuit), should the NFL change its draft format? 

Jason McCourtey alluded to the NFL doing a lottery similar to the NBA, where basically the non-playoff teams go into the lottery for their draft position. The worst record team is guaranteed no worse than the 5th draft pick. 

No lotteries don’t work either teams will still tank for more lottery balls. The NFL is the greatest league in the history of sports they don’t need to learn from the dynasty driven NBA no thanks.

I’d rather take the chance of a team tanking, then trusting the, “randomness” of a lottery. With a lottery, there always will be the worry that lottery draw is manipulated in some way (even with a minimum spot guaranteed). At least the way it is now draft positions are transparent to all. 

And honestly, you can “tank” by fielding a less experienced team, while also asking them to go out there and do their best to win. Should that not be allowed? One could easily argue they want to develop their young guys by giving them more reps, with an eye towards the future. 

However, with Miami, we have an owner offering the coach $100k a loss. From the outside looking in, that appears to be a wholly different kind of tanking. Like possibly develop a ***** game plan with bad situational decisions type stuff. I feel like something like that would be so rare, it just needs to be firmly dealt with when it arises. 

43 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Instead of a lottery, I would set the draft order after week 12.  Then there is no incentive to keep losing. 

This would create its own issues.

Consider, a fringe playoff team (however could be a weak division’s winner) going on a run from week 13-18 (without a bye, that’s 6 wins). This team would get a nice draft pick, while still being competitive in season, and possibly making the playoffs. 

I wouldn’t be shocked to see it but I don’t like it.  It sounds fine until your favorite team is the one that misses out on the #1 pick.   The one consolation as a fan of a terrible team was always a high draft pick.  I’m sure they would set up the draft where the team with the worst record can finish no lower than 5 or whatever but still. 

Lottery systems are just awful. I really don't think tanking is something worth stopping. It doesn't really happen in football to begin with. the past couple of years a team with a shot at a top pick won a meaningless game at the end of the year to ruin their spot. On top of that, the teams that tank seem to use it to benefit themselves directly via adding  a critical player like a QB, so what's the harm?

The whole point of the NFL draft is to create parity as much as possible, and with the exception of Tom Brady screwing it up, the league does a pretty good job of it compared to other sports. I don't think there's any other sport where it's as critical to have one single great player at a position, more than it is for an NFL team to have an elite quarterback. Due to the NFL's own making of pushing a passing league, it's going to be even more important than ever. If a team wants to lose so they can win later, I say let em. Of course, they won't since the NFL decided to become bedfellows with Vegas.

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Not for the purposes of this discussion (despite their records, Herbert is the far better QB and this isn't even debatable).  What I'm saying is that it's entirely plausible that Ross wanted Flores to tank in his first season so as to get a shot at Tua in the upcoming draft, not every season that he was HC.  And also that Flores didn't listen to Ross because he won games late in his first year and finished with an almost .500 record overall.

I mean I’m sure Ross did. Who cares 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.