Is Brian Daboll Driving Coaches Away?

JGMcD2

6 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Didn’t hurt Doug Pederson or Matt Nagy getting jobs not holding the play card with Reid.  Not carrying a play card didn’t hurt Zac Taylor get Bengals job or Hackett getting hired in Denver.

So you think the failure of other coaches under Reid are causing the issue? I assume Eric calls plays also, but it seems like Reid is always calling plays in the high pressure times.

1 minute ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

So you think the failure of other coaches under Reid are causing the issue? I assume Eric calls plays also, but it seems like Reid is always calling plays in the high pressure times.

Maybe.  My Bears fan good friend says the Nagy is really screwing Bieniemy.  Still think it is crazy the Eric hasn’t gotten a shot where all of these other assistant coaches with much less resume get all these jobs.  Maybe Saints will be one for him.

1 minute ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Maybe.  My Bears fan good friend says the Nagy is really screwing Bieniemy.  Still think it is crazy the Eric hasn’t gotten a shot where all of these other assistant coaches with much less resume get all these jobs.  Maybe Saints will be one for him.

I was reading the Bieniemy thread and I guess there is some personal baggage he has to overcome too. Will be interesting to see what happens with him.

9 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I don't know what's true, but people have said that Kafka (QB coach) drew up the game plan and Reid calls the plays 🤷‍♂️

The other problem Bieniemy has is his rap sheet as a college player and NFL player, continuing into his early career as a college coach (where he added a DUI)

It would probably help Bieniemy's HC aspirations to take a lateral step to an OC position where he unambiguously does all the OC stuff, but hiring decision makers also look for HC from successful teams.  So there's a risk.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

I do think the Nagy effect is hurting. I think that is true. It is also the things in Bieniemy's past and the fact he is apparently a "no BS" interview. That last factor was what stopped Bruce Arians getting a HC job all those years too. He didn't pander to owners and tell them what he thought they wanted to hear. I still say had Chuck Pagano never got sick then BA would never have got a shot. 

And then of course there is the race question. I don't know that is definitely playing a part but I don't know that it isn't. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do think the Nagy effect is hurting. I think that is true. It is also the things in Bieniemy's past and the fact he is apparently a "no BS" interview. That last factor was what stopped Bruce Arians getting a HC job all those years too. He didn't pander to owners and tell them what he thought they wanted to hear. I still say had Chuck Pagano never got sick then BA would never have got a shot. 

And then of course there is the race question. I don't know that is definitely playing a part but I don't know that it isn't. 

I agree it’s probably a little of everything.  I live just outside Boulder here in Colorado and we all remember his college issues.  What I do feel is minority coaches don’t get the benefit of the doubt for current set up, past performances and previous actions as white coaches do.  Hell McCown might gets HC job in Houston without coaching a single game at any level.

• Like (+1) 1

Lol, as long as he drives our current DC away from Buffalo I’m good… 😁

LFs biggest failing is knowing when to be more aggressive, he certainly has done a reasonably good job outside of that, unfortunately those moments have cost the team dearly, chances of him leaving are small imo, so hopefully he and SM can have a meeting of the minds, so that they recognize when those moments are happening and implement an action to optimize a potential outcome. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Dislike 2

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Two. Bobby Johnson (OL to OL) and Shea Tierney (Assistant QBs to QB Coach). 

On a serious note (I didn't bite @JGMcD2, honest) losing Graham is a blow for them. He has done a good job there. But allegedly Wink Martindale was the DC name Daboll was giving this year at interviews it just so happened with the Giants that they had a guy in situ who Daboll had familiarity with. 

Surprised that the Ravens fired Gameshow in the first place, and more surprised he hasn't been snapped up yet.  I'm guessing he has his choice of positions, but he could do worse than hitching his wagon to Dabollocks. 

Edited by Freddie's Dead

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Translation:

What crawled up your ass and died!

Poor translation. 

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

Sometimes coordinators leave because they had aspirations of landing the head coaching job and feel slighted when they don't get consideration.  That may have had something to do with Jim Schwartz leaving the Bills for the Eagles a few years back.

In this case, Graham got consideration for the HC job. Daboll interviewed Tuesday.  Graham interviewed Wednesday.

If I were interviewed for a big promotion and didn't get it, I might well not care to stick around and report to the guy who got the step I wanted.  I'd be like "Oh, OK Then, I see how you rate me" and I'd make plans to make tracks, even if it were a lateral move.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

The amount of people that managed to read my post and comment on it, that missed the sarcastic part at the end. 

I pray for our children and our schools. Bring back reading comprehension. 

Sheesh, some people are never happy.  You played a bunch of 'em, you're supposed to be 😂

And it even initiated some good football discussion so I forgive you, you Bad Man[tm]🦨

2 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

OK somehow I was thinking Cousineau was in 83.  Or was it we got the extra 1st round pick in 83 because we traded his rights away??  Is that why I was thinking 83?

Cousineau left Canada after the 1981 season, wanting to play in the NFL in 1982.  He signed an offer sheet with Houston, but the Bills matched, since they maintained his rights because he had signed with another football league (unlike Bo Jackson  a few years later who signed a baseball contract & went back into the draft the next year). They then traded Cousineau for multiple picks including the 14th pick in the 1st round of the 1983 draft used to select Jim Kelly.  

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Cousineau left Canada after the 1981 season, wanting to play in the NFL in 1982.  He signed an offer sheet with Houston, but the Bills matched, since they maintained his rights because he had signed with another football league (unlike Bo Jackson  a few years later who signed a baseball contract & went back into the draft the next year). They then traded Cousineau for multiple picks including the 14th pick in the 1st round of the 1983 draft used to select Jim Kelly.  

So in other words Ralph was a genius!  He deliberately didn't sign Cousineau so he could use that pick in the future to sign Kelly!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.