2022 Winter Olympics

RaoulDuke79

Now that the Olympics has been on for a while, I have to say, NBC's coverage continues to mostly suck...

And they seem to be broadcasting (in a hugely disproportionate manner) all of these Mickey Mouse "X Game" events that involve jumping on skis or snowboards.

You can't escape that crap--it's featured every single night.

I'm guessing those sports are popular with young viewers and their data says that crap pulls in the most viewers...so be it I guess...but man I just have no interest in these new "sports."

Then you get something like the women's downhill and they gloss it over and skip many runners...

They did do a nice job of POUNDING the story about Mikaela Shiffrin losing her dad A FEW YEARS AGO....

They reported it constantly for a while there like it happened the week before the games.

It's always the same crap with American sports broadcasting.

• Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Now that the Olympics has been on for a while, I have to say, NBC's coverage continues to mostly suck...

And they seem to be broadcasting (in a hugely disproportionate manner) all of these Mickey Mouse "X Game" events that involve jumping on skis or snowboards.

You can't escape that crap--it's featured every single night.

I'm guessing those sports are popular with young viewers and their data says that crap pulls in the most viewers...so be it I guess...but man I just have no interest in these new "sports."

Then you get something like the women's downhill and they gloss it over and skip many runners...

They did do a nice job of POUNDING the story about Mikaela Shiffrin losing her dad A FEW YEARS AGO....

They reported it constantly for a while there like it happened the week before the games.

It's always the same crap with American sports broadcasting.

I've been watching most of it on USA for the same reason but the bobsled on NBC last night was great. She likes NBC because it seems to show more of the skating... which I won't watch.

4 hours ago, T&C said:

I've been watching most of it on USA for the same reason but the bobsled on NBC last night was great. She likes NBC because it seems to show more of the skating... which I won't watch.

Agree completely. Normally bobsledding is decided by tenths or even hundredths of seconds. Remember the 2018 Olympics, where there was a tie for the gold medal in the two-man event. And here in 2022 is Friedrich winning by half a second, and one and a half seconds ahead of third place.

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I love the newer ski and board events - the more sliding downhill the better imo. And I am not a young viewer. 

6 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I'll watch again in 2 and 4 years. In 4 years somebody better have invented a decent bobsled dam it, right @BringBackFergy !

With all our engineering schools and kids from all over the globe coming to America to study engineering, one would think we could design a sled that competes with the “Big Boys” (Germany, Norway and Jamaica)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Actually we (USA) recently hired Marc van der Berg who is recognized as one of the best sled engineers in the world.   According to the article I read, the plan is to design and build team USA’s equipment here in the states.  Currently the sleds are all built in Europe (Germany I believe).

Correction - Marc van den Berg.  Google “USA bobsled designer”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.