2022 Winter Olympics

RaoulDuke79

Please merge if there's another thread. I didn't look too hard. 

I'm just not as into it this year. I love to watch competition and root for our country, but I think that it's in China after everything that's happened over the past several years has really lessened my  enthusiasm. 

Go USA 🇺🇸....I just don't think I'll be watching as much.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

USA Network (NBCU) did a great job explaining the basics of curling tonight. So NBC reporter decides hes going to throw the stone, slides forward and falls on his ass and the stone goes maybe 5 feet ... :lol:

I think if there's one event I could compete, it would be curling. Kinda like shuffleboard minus the traction. 

49 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Thanks for starting this thread BTW!  I've got to really like curling, I can see why it can be a good beer drinking sport

I would watch it as a kid on the Canadian channel growing up. It was strangely captivating! And I didn’t even drink beer when I was eight. Well, not much….. 😋

Just now, Augie said:

I would watch it as a kid on the Canadian channel growing up. It was strangely captivating! And I didn’t even drink beer when I was eight. Well, not much….. 😋

LOL... My dad always gave me a little glass when mom was working 3-11 at the hospital

I love the Olympics.  Watched the entire opening ceremony last night (the live broadcast tape delayed so I could FF through all commercials) though I found it kind of lackluster.

They are wasting no time giving us the men's downhill TONIGHT which I will be watching...probably my favorite single event of the games.  

It's supposed to be shown for 2 hours between NBC and USA at 10 and 11pm.

Right at the top NBC did their best to have "Chinese experts" on and politicize the hell out of the games, mentioning how the USA is "diplomatically boycotting" the games and so on.

I hope they avoid that crap going forward--I want to watch the sports, not listen about Hitler and Joe Stalin wannabes like Putin and this big slob currently running China.  They kept showing close-ups of Jinping and it looks like he last washed his hair about 2 weeks ago.  

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

Fee free to add your own BS commentary and strategy thoughts on sports you know nothing about.

I dislike the Canadian guy on their mixed curling team. Not a guy I want to grab a beer with. Feels like that’s should be one of the skills on a curling team. A guy people want to drink with. 

He also seems controlling. He sweeps for his own throws which seems weird. 

Gives off a strong ranch on chicken wing vibes. 

• Haha (+1) 1

For those who care: the men's downhill is in a delay situation because of high winds on the course.

It was supposed to start 10 minutes ago at 10:00pm eastern, now they are going to meet at 11pm eastern to see if they can go at midnight, eastern.

Watching some luge now on USA.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Bad Things said:

The celebration and t!t grab by one of the other medalists when  her score was announced was epic.  Congrats to you guys!!

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/5/2022 at 10:06 PM, Bad Things said:

This was exciting as all get out.  Congrats to the Kiwis and this young lady.

I watched this live as the rest of the family went to bed.  This event is my daughters favorite.  ( The daughter who hiked the Appalachian Trail)

The next morning SIL turned on Peacock to watch this and I  watched in silence , not wanting to spoil the outcome.

The celebration  started by the Silver and bronze medalists was great.  Even greater when all 12 participants joined in.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/5/2022 at 9:06 PM, Bad Things said:

I guess you mean Winter Olympic gold medal. I can remember some rowing golds at summer games.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

I watched this live as the rest of the family went to bed.  This event is my daughters favorite.  ( The daughter who hiked the Appalachian Trail)

The next morning SIL turned on Peacock to watch this and I  watched in silence , not wanting to spoil the outcome.

Years ago, probably more than 20, my brother and I were watching the Olympics on a Canadian station. Long before getting results online, or having multiple stations showing events. That night, whoever carried it in the US was showing the same event we had seen earlier that day.  We start talking about the athletes, their countries, how we think they will do, etc.  Our parents start looking at us strangely and ask us how we know all this.  We told them we're just really into the Olympics.  Eventually we did tell them we had already seen the event earlier that day.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.