Kurt Warner - Josh Allen deserved the W

Long Suffering Fan

This content is a week old, but I did the site search and couldn't find it.  If this is buried in another thread, mods feel free to merge...

I ran across this by accident.  It is 15 minutes of Warner breaking down some Allen plays in the KC game.  There are some really good details in it pointing out what they were trying to accomplish, why Gabe was open, what Beas was doing, Diggs probably not knowing the play call on the two point conversion he caught, how the Bills ended up attacking the absence of Mathieu on some key plays, etc.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, 34-78-83 said:

Warner is one of the last experts to come around on Allen. Glad he finally has!

Honestly, at this point, anyone with an ounce of simple instinct for self-preservation has got to know its no longer even possible to play the skeptic card for click bate without appearing utterly clueless.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Honestly, at this point, anyone with an ounce of simple instinct for self-preservation has got to know its no longer even possible to play the skeptic card for click bate without appearing utterly clueless.

It's funny you mention it.  I also heard recently that this Allen kid is pretty good.  Who knew?

• Haha (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

This was Kurt's take before the Patriots playoff game:

Kurt himself even took exception to my response.

How about those "layups" now?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This was Kurt's take before the Patriots playoff game:

Kurt himself even took exception to my response.

How about those "layups" now?

Yeah man I had seen that he replied to you! and in this newer breakdown he even refers to the layups and easy throws again saying that Allen achieved that. He'll never admit how crazy unfair he was being to Josh just to preserve his original takes. Maybe Warner should look at some of the throws Rodgers was or wasnt executing in his playoff fail vs. the Niners? LOL

• Like (+1) 2

Kurt is allowed to grade on whatever scale he wants. But one thing I didnt understand with this specific criticism is that he admits he makes up for "missing layups" with his tremendous physical talent. Which implies that he is getting the job done, just not in the way Kurt wants. It almost comes of that he would give him more praise Josh made the layups but wasnt able to impose his will physically. If youre getting the job done then youre getting the job done. I guess isnt the point (or at least a point) of getting a physically gifted QB that they dont have to be perfectly cerebral. The margin for error increases. Otherwise youre Baker Mayfield.

I guess if youre grading Josh as a pure passer its fair. But if youre grading him as a QB capable of moving the ball down the field then it seems incorrect.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 34-78-83 said:

Whenever this topic comes up, I think of Terry Bradshaw saying, some time 2 seasons ago, I think, before a Bills game: "For me, either you are accurate or you aren't.  And if you aren't, you'll always be inaccurate."

That was his sum-up of Allen at the time.

It's stuff like that that makes me record almost all games, watch them a bit late on tape delay, and FF through ALL talking head BS.  There's no need to listen to any of it, ever.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What the ***** is a layup?

Having watched a lot of Warner's breakdowns a layup to him is a single defender read play. Where it is just read one guy if he stays wide throw to spot X, if he cheats inside throw to spot Y. 

I generally like Warner as a guy to break down QB play but I do wonder if it is getting a bit outdated. He is from what @BADOLBILZ has dubbed previously the "cerebral era" of NFL Quarterbacking where he and Brady and the Mannings and Brees beat you with their brain. They made the right decision 95% of the time and that made execution easy. Not saying Allen and Mahomes and Herbert etc can't play neck up, they clearly can... but they have the physical gifts that allows them to make a wrong decision and get a good outcome more often than those guys in the 00s and early 10s could. This generation of NFL Quarterbacks are shifting the dial a bit back towards physical gifts over mental gifts. The "cerebral era" is probably over with #12 retiring. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, eball said:

And by the way, if ANY of you go see his stupid movie I'll personally come to your house and whoop your ass.

A friend said the movie was good if you like sports stories.  He also recommended King Richard...the Williams girls story  (that is  tennis for you football only geeks)

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

A friend said the movie was good if you like sports stories.  He also recommended King Richard...the Williams girls story  (that is  tennis for you football only geeks)

I absolutely intend to watch the Williams movie.  I can't imagine I'll ever sit down to watch the Kurt "Jesus" Warner story.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.