Ok time to get rid of Mongo

YoloinOhio

Meh - I'm not gonna complain about anyone's personal pizza preferences....

Talk to a dozen people - you'll get a dozen different "preferred" vendors/brands/pizza joints...

(I have admittedly 'plebian' pizza taste, myself. Gimme a 'supreme' pizza from nearly anywhere and I'm probably good. My only request is that you don't SEE puddles of grease on the pizza....)

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, aceman_16 said:

I have no idea why (in general) Rochesters pizza is better than Buffalos...but it is.

Funny - the first pizza I ever had in Rochester was one I remember the most.  One of my first nights in college and someone ordered Dominos - I had never had it before, and it was shocking to me.  I could not believe an actual pizza place made pizza like that (growing up it was always exclusively local pizza joints).  Of course over time my body adapted to it on beer-soaked nights

44 minutes ago, uninja said:

So you're telling me that food nostalgias, deep seated concepts of 'good/yummy' etc, core food memories are not created during childhood?

I only say this because i have kids under 10 and I've tried to convince them pizza in WNY is real pizza. Whatever I'm doing, it's not working 😂

Well.....I, as an adult, don't like most of the same stuff I liked when I was 8

My kid, as an adult, doesn't like most of the same stuff she liked when she was 8 (in fact, she wouldn't touch pizza of any kind then)

Sure there are family favorites like Grandma's cheesecake that still rule

Dunno what to tell you

I get different places have different styles.  But it is wild to me entire cities can get it wrong. 

I am in Saratoga now and the pizza game here SUCKS. We have found a certain pizza here or there. But overall the corner pizza shop is terrible. 

(The food scene here blows overall. But that’s a different thread)

For what it's worth, I grew up in Upstate NY in the 70's and 80's and still visit.  It may just be nostalgia on my part, but I remember that the pizza of my youth was far better than what I generally see when I'm home visiting family.

Maybe I was just spoiled with the little family-run Italian places of back in the day, when I lived there.

That said, I sooooooo miss NY State food!

Thankfully a little pizza place, run by an Italian family opened up in town about a year ago.  My wife and I almost cried when we first ate it... best pizza since we moved here 16 years ago, with the exact same taste and texture in the crust and sauce that I remember from Upstate NY pizzas of my youth.  (In fact, I'm eating some right now!)

Edited by Bad Things

4 hours ago, Bangarang said:

He’s not wrong

Buffalo pizza rates high in National contests and I know a lot of people living in other places that ship it from here to them because the pizza sucks wherever they are living.

• Like (+1) 1

I was born in Buffalo, and my mom moved me to Northern Virginia when I was only one, but I got to spend every summer in Buff, and visit multiple times a year, and I gotta say pizza in Buffalo is the bees knees to me, and if we're getting specific, my top 3, in order from 1st to 3rd are Leonardi's, Bocce's, then La Nova.  Sweet mercy my mouth is watering right now just thinking about a slice from any one of those places...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, uninja said:

So you're telling me that food nostalgia's, deep seated concepts of 'good/yummy' etc, core food memories are not created during childhood?

Absolutely. Pizza Hut in the late 70s / early 80s was a family dining experience. The building was an actual hut. You crammed into a little waiting area with 5 other families standing behind a wooden "Please wait to be seated" sign. There was a jukebox and an arcade game that was either Ms. Pac Man or Galaga. Everyone drank out of red plastic cups with loads of tiny crushed ice. They would finally bring you your pizza in a black metal pan that was 5,000 degrees and warned you "Don't touch the pan, it's hot!" But you didn't listen. You touched the pan and ate the 5,000 degrees pizza and burned the roof of your mouth so bad you needed a trip to the Burn Treatment Center. And you looked forward to doing it again next month.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I guess the question is what pizza does he like better? I prefer thinner crust pizza, which Buffalo is not known for.

I remember that player for Atlanta claiming Atlanta wings were better than Buffalo. Now that's a ridiculous statement. I'm sure some wing spots in Atlanta are really good.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I had a good friend in graduate school who worked as a Pizza Hut shift manager while he was in college.  Champaign/Urbana IIRC.  There were several in the area at the time.

One time, he had the closing shift one night and the opening shift the next day.

At closing, the procedure was they would put oil in the pans for the deep dish pizza and stack them up, ready for the rush.  They would work their way down one stack, then the next, then the next.

So.  That night, unbeknownst to him and with no precautions to cover the cookware or to wash it afterwards, the Hut had bug exterminators in.

The next day, a leaden-faced customer came in with deep dish pizza that had one slice cut from it and the piece tossed back in the box, and asked to see the manager.  He flipped the pizza over and told my friend to take a look.  There, baked into the crust, were 4 and 20 cockroaches, baked into a pie.

Needless to say, my friend was very apologetic, refunded the guy's money, and offered him anything else he wanted - a new pizza, a gift certificate?  The guy didn't want anything.  He was Done with the Hut.

Friend went to check the top pan in each stack - every one full of dead cockroaches.

Thanks.. 🤨 I WAS craving a pizza reading this thread, until..

I’m good now.

5 hours ago, LongTermBuffalonian said:

Meh - I'm not gonna complain about anyone's personal pizza preferences....

Talk to a dozen people - you'll get a dozen different "preferred" vendors/brands/pizza joints...

(I have admittedly 'plebian' pizza taste, myself. Gimme a 'supreme' pizza from nearly anywhere and I'm probably good. My only request is that you don't SEE puddles of grease on the pizza....)

HA!🤣 Having grown up in WNY, I actually love a puddle of grease in the middle of the pie. Haven’t found a good greasy pizza in Florida in 27 years.😢

7 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

It's been about 15 years since I lived I'm buffalo. My favorite pizza in western NY was always Pontillos. I don't recall ever having bad or amazing pizza living in Buffalo.

Rochester I know for a fact has amazing pizza.

So I'm gonna say he's bitter cause he's about to be sliced.

Actually now I remember getting slices on Elmwood when I was at buff state.

And it was good.

Ya he's crazy.

Now here in Raleigh, there's no good pizza imo

Try Tony’s pizza one the best around raleigh

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That night, unbeknownst to him and with no precautions to cover the cookware or to wash it afterwards, the Hut had bug exterminators in.

Plus, they cooked a batch of meth in the kitchen that night.  Vamanos Pest, we salute you.

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I agree with him.  Buffalo has great food but the pizza sucks and you guys use blue cheese on wings….unacceptable.

image.thumb.jpeg.257d9f3b9b603c79e4f44a3fb588f2e6.jpeg
"Tu es un idiot!"

• Haha (+1) 1

I have nostalgia for the Buffalo pie - doughy and slathered in tomato paste instead of sauce, with thick ‘roni cups and three times the amount of cheese that it should carry… nostalgia but not love.  

But still, there are true Pizza Deserts in this country like California.  Try getting a decent slice in San Francisco if you think Buffalo pizza is bad.

• Like (+1) 1