Travis Jones, UConn DT

Ethan in Cleveland

14 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think a bit early to give up on Rousseau and Basham and even Epenesa.  I would not hate a pass rusher, but would probably rather go to another position in round one.

They knew that they had to pay Allen, so didn’t want to spend on the FAs.

Im not giving up on anyone. I’m just not a fan of taking part time space eaters that high in the draft. 

10 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Unfortunately, they weren’t very good picks...

No argument there but continuing to ignore other roster spots while you’re searching for a pass rusher is not a good strategy. The Lions did it for years as they went in search of a stud WR. The Raiders classically did the same opting for pure speed over football skills. It didn’t work out for either. You build your roster up the middle of the field on both sides of the ball. The Bills have significant work to do at OG, C, DT, MLB, and possibly RB. I’d prefer it if they concentrated there. If they don’t, the piper is going to eventually need to get paid. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Watching the Chiefs game, IMHO we need to enhance our speed in the secondary and be able to push the pocket from the inside as well as pressure the edges.  I would like either Davis in Rd 1 and the corner they like best in Rd 2, or the corner they like best in Rd 1 and Jones or Devonte Wyatt in Rd 2.  Oliver has arrived, sign him and Phillips.  Move on from Star when contract is up.

Agree. I’m assuming CB in round 1

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I feel like I'm in bizarro world with the Davis love.  We want to draft a fat blob who can't play two downs in a row without needing a break in the first round?  I'm sure his motivation will get much better once he gets paid too. 

Got any proof he can’t play two downs in a row?

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I just read about this guy. 6'4" and 325 pounds. All kinds of power. Had a standout week at Senior Bowl according to Daniel Jeremiah. Projected as a day 2 pick.

Harrison Phillips played his best football down the stretch. But he remains athletically limited. I would love to see a real powerful 1-tech guy lined up next to Oliver. 

What does the board know about Mr.Jones?

Other than grabbing a speed RB and maybe another guard the offseason needs to be about adding size and speed to our defence.  We need play makers,  beyond White who is coming off ACL recovery the defence has no top end play makers.  We need to stop thinking that only way to win is score on every series,  the dude sounds perfect because of his size.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Their entire defense was bad that game.  I guess he’ll get no credit for the championship game then?

He's a fine player.  Personally, I'm not taking a giant two down player with conditioning concerns in the first round.

50 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think a bit early to give up on Rousseau and Basham and even Epenesa.  I would not hate a pass rusher, but would probably rather go to another position in round one.

They knew that they had to pay Allen, so didn’t want to spend on the FAs.

Epenesa looks another Cody Ford bust second rounber,  the first two guys showed promise in their first season.  

• Disagree 3

I've recently seen a few mocks that now have Buffalo taking Jones at 25. Is he worth that spot or is that a bit of a reach? 

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I would actually trade up ahead of the Pats for Davis...He’s going to be a Star!  👍

I am afraid of this. Barmore and Davis, together could be a problem. I also think there's a chance he goes to LAC at 17.  

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They were literally 6-7 FA rushers available last off-season… McBeane punted for two rookies and an ex Panther…. Their lack of aggression in Fa has played a part in why they aren’t representing the AFC in the SB IMO.

Outside of Hendrickson how many of those 6-7 guys actually made an impact for their teams?

Judon early on… but he was a non-factor down the stretch… Lawson, Dupree, Watt, Okwara were wastes of money. 

Those were the 6 highest paid guys… my original point was that impact guys rarely reach FA. So if your argument is that they should’ve signed Hendrickson that’s fine… but there was 1 guy not 6-7. 

Thanks for helping support my statement! 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I just read about this guy. 6'4" and 325 pounds. All kinds of power. Had a standout week at Senior Bowl according to Daniel Jeremiah. Projected as a day 2 pick.

Harrison Phillips played his best football down the stretch. But he remains athletically limited. I would love to see a real powerful 1-tech guy lined up next to Oliver. 

What does the board know about Mr.Jones?

He's been on my want list all season. Was hoping he'd slip to Rd 3, but I don't see it happening now. 

2 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

Epenesa looks another Cody Ford bust second rounber,  the first two guys showed promise in their first season.  

I still see some light with AJ

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

They were last off-season. 

They were literally 6-7 FA rushers available last off-season… McBeane punted for two rookies and an ex Panther…. Their lack of aggression in Fa has played a part in why they aren’t representing the AFC in the SB IMO.

Yeah, and with the huge amount of cap we had available last year to .... um .... oh, wait.

31 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Outside of Hendrickson how many of those 6-7 guys actually made an impact for their teams?

Judon early on… but he was a non-factor down the stretch… Lawson, Dupree, Watt, Okwara were wastes of money. 

Those were the 6 highest paid guys… my original point was that impact guys rarely reach FA. So if your argument is that they should’ve signed Hendrickson that’s fine… but there was 1 guy not 6-7. 

Thanks for helping support my statement! 

Agreed. And FA edges are expensive, or the good ones, anyway.

I could see them bringing in a mid-level guy this year, but our best shot at improvement there this year is likely a 1st rounder (and even most of them take a while) or the guys we have developing.

Hey, it’d be pretty cool to have a fellow Husky. But I dunno anything about him. The real test of a GM & scouts is to find guys in smaller programs others might overlook. We’ll see how his combine and/or pro days go.

UConn football is not exactly a prominent program… although there are signs of life as Jim Mora was hired as coach a few months ago.

Nice facility on campus, decent stadium down the highway a bit, but thing just haven’t fallen into place since the death of the Big East and not getting into the ACC because of Boston College.

18 hours ago, njbuff said:

I don’t know if the Bills are gonna spend big money to get speed for Allen in FA, so I suspect that they will use the draft to get some speed on O for Allen.

A big DT that is cost efficient might be where they go in FA.

Considering how much money we've wasted on Star I'd say draft a 1T somewhere. Wouldn't be devastated to go JD @ 25 or Jones day 2.

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I’ll take Jermaine Johnson at 25 if available 

No chance after his performance at the senior bowl practices. Just listened to a few different scouts commenting on two different podcasts and they all think he goes in the top half of the first round.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.