Thursday night games to cost Amazon Prime customers more

notwoz

Amazon is raising the price of Prime membership by $20 a year. They're citing the cost of its exclusive deal to televise Thursday Night Football. I know that it works out to $1.3333333333 (ad infinitum) per game for the 15 games Prime will broadcast, but I find Thursday night games to be less than compelling. It irks me that I'm forced to pay for something I rarely watch. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/amazon-to-increase-price-of-prime-membership-due-to-exclusive-thursday-night-football-deal/ar-AATrVjd?ocid=msedgntp

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Every streaming service increases their rate every couple years. Netflix just did the same thing and didn't even bother providing an excuse. It's how all these companies plan to make money in the long run. Operate at a loss for a few years, build a massive customer base, keep that customer base while slowly increasing the rate until they become profitable.

• Agree 6

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Every streaming service increases their rate every couple years. Netflix just did the same thing and didn't even bother providing an excuse. It's how all these companies plan to make money in the long run. Operate at a loss for a few years, build a massive customer base, keep that customer base while slowly increasing the rate until they become profitable.

It’s the American way!!!!

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

You like paying more?  Welp you're gonna love it when all games go PPV

Maybe the 'fixed' firestick and some eastern european sports sites next year then

4 cents a day or let’s break it down to 35 cents a game (4 games a month)

I cancelled my prime but I’ll probably sign back up but I’m not gonna complain about 20 dollars a year when you break it down at a day or game level it’s Pennies and I understand how businesses work 

you spend money you gotta find ways to make it back 

I also thought that was the best gif for this thread lol 

Edited by mikemac2001

I'd bet 90% or more of Amazon Prime members have no interest in watching Thursday Night football. It's BS to make all members pay to cover that contract.

It's like Sirius/XM radio charging ridiculous subscriber rates to cover Howard Stern's contract, who less than half of subscribers even listen to.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My wife orders packages almost daily through Amazon Prime, so there's no chance we'll be canceling.  I have a couple of Fire sticks on older TVs and the app installed on one of my newer ones, so I won't miss any of the NFL Thursday games. 

I have not used Prime for any live content to date, so I wonder how it will work in terms of the broadcasts.  I live in the West, so I often am not home from work by the time the games start.  In the past, I would often record from Fox or NFL Network to my DVR and watch later.  I don't subscribe to or own any Amazon DVR product.  Will I be able to simply start the games from the beginning when I want to watch the stream (and then pause and resume as I like) or will I only be able to watch live?  Does anyone know how it works/will work?  In the past, when the games were available on Prime, it was just easier to watch on Fox or NFL Network, so I never tried the Amazon stream.

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Netflix doesn't carry NFL games that I know of. But they do spend a shitload of money sending out useless crap to  entertainment writers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

My wife orders packages almost daily through Amazon Prime, so there's no chance we'll be canceling.  I have a couple of Fire sticks on older TVs and the app installed on one of my newer ones, so I won't miss any of the NFL Thursday games. 

I have not used Prime for any live content to date, so I wonder how it will work in terms of the broadcasts.  I live in the West, so I often am not home from work by the time the games start.  In the past, I would often record from Fox or NFL Network to my DVR and watch later.  I don't subscribe to or own any Amazon DVR product.  Will I be able to simply start the games from the beginning when I want to watch the stream (and then pause and resume as I like) or will I only be able to watch live?  Does anyone know how it works/will work?  In the past, when the games were available on Prime, it was just easier to watch on Fox or NFL Network, so I never tried the Amazon stream.

I fear there will be no DVR features. That's how most streaming sports work, and it's crazy that the companies don't realize the value of the feature.

I'm sure there will be some kind off offering there - for an additional fee....

Me living out West and my sports teams all being in the East is one of the reasons I have stuck with a more "conventional" TV service and not gone to streaming.  I know that many streaming services are starting to offer cloud DVR services now, but I don't know what/how this will work with Amazon and TNF.  I wouldn't pay an extra fee to Amazon just to be able to record 1 game per week.

Edited by msw2112

2 hours ago, notwoz said:

Amazon is raising the price of Prime membership by $20 a year. They're citing the cost of its exclusive deal to televise Thursday Night Football. I know that it works out to $1.3333333333 (ad infinitum) per game for the 15 games Prime will broadcast, but I find Thursday night games to be less than compelling. It irks me that I'm forced to pay for something I rarely watch. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/amazon-to-increase-price-of-prime-membership-due-to-exclusive-thursday-night-football-deal/ar-AATrVjd?ocid=msedgntp

I use Prime a ton. The TV watching is a bonus. First increase since 2018. I'm not complaining.

2 hours ago, dorquemada said:

You like paying more?  Welp you're gonna love it when all games go PPV

Maybe the 'fixed' firestick and some eastern european sports sites next year then

You realize we all pay for sports TV contracts if you are on cable, right?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, notwoz said:

who's forcing you to purchase amazon prime?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Streaming services. Everybody is increasing the cost on everything largely because they can. 

Don’t get me wrong. They’re are supply chain issues. I deal with a ton of very common manufacturers daily for work. They’re increasing pricing by 20% quarter after quarter without any inventory constraints just because others do have some bottleneck. 

A ton of very popular brands have had record profitability during the pandemic by laying people off and cutting out T&E while

consistently raising prices. 

Basically slashing expenses and price gouging. 

Its not great.

5 minutes ago, klos63 said:

who's forcing you to purchase amazon prime?

Nobody's "forcing" me to subscribe to Amazon Prime. But I don't subscribe to Prime for football and I especially mind being forced to pay for ***** (and Thursday Night Football is *****) I don't watch. Is that plain enough, or do I have to draw you a f***ing picture.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.