Athletic article forecasting our cap casualties

transplantbillsfan

20 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Williams isn't going anywhere imo. We need to upgrade the line, not make it weaker. He was solid at guard second half of the season and he is fine as backup tackle.

I'd re-sign Bates, bring in Scherff or other best available FA OG, draft IOL in first 3 rounds and still keep Williams. OL has to be a priority.

Scherff was offered a contract making him the highest paid G in the league last year and turned it down. I don't think we sign him. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/washington-gm-martin-mayhew-says-brandon-scherff-declined-record-contract

12 hours ago, Doc said:

Not him.  Did you mean someone else?

spotrac has Ford having a net salary of.   $2.38M with a.  dead cap hit of 850K....   If you cut him, you save 1 approximately $1.5M 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

The only guy whose cap hit is smaller compared what he will earn is Mitch Morse.    He will earn a total of 11.25M with a dead cap hit of 3.75M...If we cut him, we can still find someone else for 6.5M t fill his shoes.

Edited by ganesh

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

spotrac has Ford having a net salary of.   $2.38M with a.  dead cap hit of 850K....   If you cut him, you save 1 approximately $1.5M 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

The only guy whose cap hit is smaller compared what he will earn is Mitch Morse.    He will earn a total of 11.25M with a dead cap hit of 3.75M...If we cut him, we can still find someone else for 6.5M t fill his shoes.

There's not much point in releasing Ford before final cut downs.

On 2/3/2022 at 6:37 PM, ColoradoBills said:

Bates is a RFA.  Bills own his rights.  I'm betting on a 2nd round tender.

For 2021 it was:

Second-round tender: One-year contract worth the greater of

• (a) $3.384 million or
  • (b) 110 percent of the player's prior-year base salary.

Draft-choice compensation: second-round pick.

On 2/3/2022 at 6:55 PM, skibum said:

Beasley has been great at times, but there are probably some very good FA receivers out there who would play with Josh Allen for free. And likewise, there will be many desperate teams looking for a Beasley-type safety valve for their barely adequate QB. On the other hand, if Sanders is also gone, Davis can't replace both vets. 

I don't envy NFL GMs (except for their salaries, of course). It's a complex matrix, and you can only control so much of it anyway. 

NFLPA will not allow players to play for free and doubt many would even if NFLPA allowed. 

I am surprised they do not charge NFL for letting players breathe.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

This one is still a head scratcher in terms of Beane restructured his deal.

And unless he works some real magic in some sort of trade or restructure again we are almost stuck with a guy who it's clearly time to move on from.

The restructure would have worked out had Star not used COVID as an excuse to opt out of 2020. We would've been able to cut him this offseason with very little dead cap. His opt out pushed his contract back a year and really screwed us over 

• Like (+1) 3

Re-sign Klein for sure. He is great depth and I highly doubt he will command much on the open market.

13 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

What's the rush to dump Williams?  His cap hit isn't horrible, at a minimum he's a decent starting guard and if Dawkins or Brown get hurt, he can slide to RT.  As bad as the OL was during that mid-season stretch, I wouldn't be disappointed if they rolled with Dawkins - Bates - Morse - Williams - Brown to start 2022.  If they can upgrade, terrific, but it's not the crying need it was at mid-season.

Exactly. Don't go cutting players on the oline unless you KNOW you have upgrades there.

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, JMF2006 said:

Man let it go Teller wasn't even making the team as the swing guard and is a better run blocker than pass blocker...in case you didn't notice the Browns are run first and the Bills are pass first.

KB got fat and lazy then got hobbled by a knee injury or vice versa.

I thought he could be a large target with a huge catch radius for Josh.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things

Playoffs 4 of 5 years buys a lot of leeway in my books.

With respect to the bolded: yes, the "grand scheme of things" suggests we should reserve or at least temper judgment for any single one of Beane's moves, given the overall results to date. 

However, let's not allow good to be the enemy of great here, either. The Bills need to see better returns on their cap investments moving forward. Just because they've made the playoffs recently doesn't mean we can't critique the roster build and cap construction moving forward. In fact, it means there is LESS room for error and bloat. Paying an ELITE QB tightens the margins considerably (which is a good problem to have). 

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

The restructure would have worked out had Star not used COVID as an excuse to opt out of 2020. We would've been able to cut him this offseason with very little dead cap. His opt out pushed his contract back a year and really screwed us over 

Star.....the gift that keeps on giving. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.