Athletic article forecasting our cap casualties

transplantbillsfan

so, assuming we keep morse for 1 more year, i see us ditching mongo and williams, drafting a guard who can also play C, perhaps 2 guards.  i can also see wallace walking and they draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd.  i feel like for whatever faults, our FO knows cbs and how to coach them up like no one's business.

for next season we need a new G and CB as above, for the future we need someone who can play C.  potentially for both, we need a slot WR, a TE2, and would be nice to have an RB w speed.  We also need a punter but given how often we punt, i'd say any just ok guy will do.

im getting ahead of myself, but i think we move some contracts around and sign chandler jones and possibly someone on O, and fill in our JAGS in the draft and maybe the odd cheap FA.

the one upside of paying meh players who don't start or barely play so much is we can move money around and when their contracts are off the books the young guys behind them can fill in the spots w no drop off.

looking back, mongo and williams were bad resignings.  mongo was awful, and a pine rider, williams was bad at right tackle when he had to play it (vs a raw raw rookie, which is kinda shocking) and played RG decently by the end of the season, but net net is not even an average starting RG in the NFL at 10mm.  odd guy, was great for the jets one year, fell apart.  was great for us one year, did the same.  laziness/motivation issue i bet.

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

The dead cap hit for letting go Ford and Star are monstrous.   You save about 1.5M in cap for each of these players and you will have to spend more than that to get the save average skill sets.   We are going to retain them for upcoming season.  

Not him.  Did you mean someone else?

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

I will let our GM be the GM :)

I trust his decisions :)

Like trading one of the best guards in the league for a 5th round pick or trading a 3rd round pick for Kelvin Benjamin? He’s done his share of good things but he’s certainly had his fair share of horrible moves as well. 

• Eyeroll 1

What's the rush to dump Williams?  His cap hit isn't horrible, at a minimum he's a decent starting guard and if Dawkins or Brown get hurt, he can slide to RT.  As bad as the OL was during that mid-season stretch, I wouldn't be disappointed if they rolled with Dawkins - Bates - Morse - Williams - Brown to start 2022.  If they can upgrade, terrific, but it's not the crying need it was at mid-season.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He should first be approached about taking a pay cut.  I doubt he accepts one though.

If he doesn’t time to move on. Anuko (spelling) or a Rookie DT would replace the production in a smaller contract. 

we paid Josh. Time to start removing the bloated contracts on older declining players. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, artmalibu said:

Yes, that is my point.  In reality he is only costing 1.5 mil.   I think some are seeing his 9.6 mil cap hit and think cut him.  I would too if there was no dead money.  

If

I'm pretty sure if they cut him as a post June-1 designation they can split his dead cap over 2 seasons. So possibly factor in an extra 3.5Mish in savings next year for a $5M savings if they can.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Man I love Beaners but a dead cap hit for a punter, smh at some of the things this GM does in free agency…

700k according to SPOTRAC. Chump change.

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Like trading one of the best guards in the league for a 5th round pick or trading a 3rd round pick for Kelvin Benjamin? He’s done his share of good things but he’s certainly had his fair share of horrible moves as well. 

Man let it go Teller wasn't even making the team as the swing guard and is a better run blocker than pass blocker...in case you didn't notice the Browns are run first and the Bills are pass first.

KB got fat and lazy then got hobbled by a knee injury or vice versa.

I thought he could be a large target with a huge catch radius for Josh.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things

Playoffs 4 of 5 years buys a lot of leeway in my books.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://theathletic.com/3110889/2022/02/03/forecasting-bills-2022-cap-casualty-candidates-including-mitch-morse-cole-beasley-and-star-lotulelei/

Basically the prediction is we keep Morse and Beasley... that's it.

Whether cut or potentially traded (Ford), the prediction is that D Williams, Klein, Star, Feliciano, Matakevich, Ford, & Hack are all gone.

If that were all to hold true, cutting those players would give us just over $24 million in Cap savings.

I still wish we would make every effort to resign McKenzie and cut Beasley, who is a $7.6 million Cap hit this coming season.

Another one of those articles that you can't read unless you buy a subscription 😢 .

I'm not sure if they will let that many get away Beane can be pretty resourceful when it comes to manipulating the cap so i hope some are brought back .

If there isn't as much dead cap for Star just because of how well they did when he wasn't available if he has a bigger cap hit than dead money i'm thinking he should be 1 that's gone because for the pay he gets his impact isn't significant and they have others below him that could do as good for a lot less money .

Williams, Klien, & Matakevich i wouldn't mind seeing them come back if they can be had Mongo to but at a better price because he is more in the depth player now with others stepping up .

17 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://theathletic.com/3110889/2022/02/03/forecasting-bills-2022-cap-casualty-candidates-including-mitch-morse-cole-beasley-and-star-lotulelei/

Whether cut or potentially traded (Ford), the prediction is that D Williams, Klein, Star, Feliciano, Matakevich, Ford, & Hack are all gone.

If that were all to hold true, cutting those players would give us just over $24 million in Cap savings.

I still wish we would make every effort to resign McKenzie and cut Beasley, who is a $7.6 million Cap hit this coming season.

I don’t know about Beasley.  It would surprise me for coaches and FO to watch his tape and see that he’s lost a step and is less effective versus man.  Bills are likely to see a lot of zone next year.  Do they still keep him?

I’d like to keep Darryl Williams, but the problem is he’s playing guard and is paid as a right tackle.  Still if the Bills can find a way to keep him, I wouldn’t mind

6 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Man let it go Teller wasn't even making the team as the swing guard and is a better run blocker than pass blocker...in case you didn't notice the Browns are run first and the Bills are pass first.

KB got fat and lazy then got hobbled by a knee injury or vice versa.

I thought he could be a large target with a huge catch radius for Josh.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things

Playoffs 4 of 5 years buys a lot of leeway in my books.

The revisionist history with Teller is so annoying.  He wasn’t the player he became when he was traded.  Should the Bills hung onto him for one more season?  Maybe.  But it’s not as lopsided as it looks in retrospect.  

As far as Kelvin Benjamin, the Bills had no one at WR.  They needed to do something and he was the best option.  We all loved the move at the time.  Beane probably paid a little too steep of a price for him.  But it was a seller’s marker and he was going all in to break the playoff streak which he did.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Read the article, it talked about coaches and Schoen leaving for Giants and then also stated: "one staff member soon following".  Any idea who that might be??

Agree would be good to resign McKenzie, but don't think he wants to come back.  Likely the only was would be no one else wants to pay him much, but even then not sure he'd take more here.  Seems he has a gripe with McD, from what is known is legit, but who knows what happened behind the scenes?

20 hours ago, artmalibu said:

I know Star is not popular around here, but with 7.7 mil in dead money and a total savings of 1.5 mil I say keep him.  Im not sure how many guys that are out there that are better for less than 1.5 mil...

This one is still a head scratcher in terms of Beane restructured his deal.

And unless he works some real magic in some sort of trade or restructure again we are almost stuck with a guy who it's clearly time to move on from.

17 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I think we could look for a Klein eventual Edmunds replacement in this year's draft if a guy we like falls to us. As I can't see us giving Edmunds big time money with Josh's big salary starting in 2024.

We're never paying Edmunds what he thinks he's worth. This will be his last season in a Bills uniform. I hope we draft a mid round LB and maybe use a 4th on Araiza?

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

The dead cap hit for letting go Ford and Star are monstrous.   You save about 1.5M in cap for each of these players and you will have to spend more than that to get the save average skill sets.   We are going to retain them for upcoming season.  

2 absolutely terrible acquisitions. So we're stuck with them drawing a huge payday as they sit the bench watching Bates & Phillips play.  Wonderful.....

Edited by LABILLBACKER

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.