Athletic article forecasting our cap casualties

transplantbillsfan

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

Don't see Williams being cut because there's no replacement on the market who will come even at the same price and be better.  I can see an extension for Klein.  Beasley will depend on who they can get in FA and/or the draft. The rest can go.

Williams really turned the season around and became solid at guard. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Williams really turned the season around and became solid at guard. 

I agree.  Shift him to RG full-time and have him get himself ready mentally and physically for that role.  Again I don't see an alternative who will be better and even the same price.  They will have to look to the draft for that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://theathletic.com/3110889/2022/02/03/forecasting-bills-2022-cap-casualty-candidates-including-mitch-morse-cole-beasley-and-star-lotulelei/

Basically the prediction is we keep Morse and Beasley... that's it.

Whether cut or potentially traded (Ford), the prediction is that D Williams, Klein, Star, Feliciano, Matakevich, Ford, & Hack are all gone.

That's actually not what I read:

"Regardless, Williams seems like a candidate for a pay cut above all else" (then he goes on to say the Bills might cut him"

He was also wishy-washy about keeping Beasley:

"Like Williams, Beasley seems like a distinct candidate for a pay cut. Beasley’s impact, snap count and trajectory do not add up to a nearly $8 million player, but the player has to agree to those terms. Whether Beasley would do so is unknown. My guess is that Beasley will be back next season if he’s playing in the NFL."

He forcasts that we'll move on from Lotulelei, but the savings from cutting him are meagre, only $1.5M.  That's not much above vet minimum, and might cost us more to replace him.  So I suspect whether he stays or we move on, will depend upon where we think he is health-wise and what he wants to do.

The most positive part of it was at the beginning, the quotes from Schoen and Beane:

When fielding questions at his introductory news conference, Schoen alluded to what he was doing for the Bills leading up to getting hired by the Giants.

“I was working towards free agency,” he said. “We were gonna have some money over there.”

That’s not far removed from what Beane said in Orchard Park on the same day during his season-ending news conference. Beane discussed having a bit more flexibility with an increased salary cap in 2022. “We’ll still have to make some moves,” Beane said. “I wouldn’t see us being like, big spenders or anything like that, but we’ll look to fill some spots from the outside as well as retain some of our guys.”

Probably the most interesting part was at the end:

The name to keep an eye on here is Diggs. With the cost of receivers going up, it wouldn’t be a surprise if the Bills make taking care of their star receiver a priority. His contract expires after the 2023 season, and with the 2023 cap expected to jump, the Bills could lock in Diggs to a long-term deal. At the same time, they can reduce his 2022 cap hit from its current figure of $17.9 million and give themselves more breathing room this year.

Beane seems to like to start negotiating with important players the year before their contract is up.  Renegotiating Diggs contract to extend him and lower his 2020 cap hit would actually give us more space than cutting a lot of these guys.

Working on an extension for Edmunds would also accomplish this, though it seems like 3/4 of TBD would choke on their Cheerios if that happens.

Overall, I thought it was pretty wishy-washy and vague from Joe B.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Williams is garbage, addition by subtraction. Guy was a welcome addition in 2020 but man he was a liability,  especially in the Jaguars game when he didn't even know the snap count ugh. 

We need 2 new guards to be honest, unless we keep Bates but I expect NJG to offer him a decent deal.

Just now, ArtVandalay said:

Williams is garbage, addition by subtraction. Guy was a welcome addition in 2020 but man he was a liability,  especially in the Jaguars game when he didn't even know the snap count ugh. 

We need 2 new guards to be honest, unless we keep Bates but I expect NJG to offer him a decent deal.

Bates is a RFA.  Bills own his rights.  I'm betting on a 2nd round tender.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Working on an extension for Edmunds would also accomplish this, though it seems like 3/4 of TBD would choke on their Cheerios if that happens.

Flutie Flakes my man, we'll be choking on Flutie Flakes

81j1kfenEQL._AC_SX425_.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Doc said:

Don't see Williams being cut because there's no replacement on the market who will come even at the same price and be better.  I can see an extension for Klein.  Beasley will depend on who they can get in FA and/or the draft. The rest can go.

If a 3rd year UDFA can outplay him then so can an affordable vet. But we know Beane uses free agency to plug holes and I doubt he would create a hole by cutting Williams. Hopefully they can get him to take a pay cut because $9.9 million is wayyyyyyy too much for a mediocre guard to be making.

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's actually not what I read:

"Regardless, Williams seems like a candidate for a pay cut above all else" (then he goes on to say the Bills might cut him"

He was also wishy-washy about keeping Beasley:

"Like Williams, Beasley seems like a distinct candidate for a pay cut. Beasley’s impact, snap count and trajectory do not add up to a nearly $8 million player, but the player has to agree to those terms. Whether Beasley would do so is unknown. My guess is that Beasley will be back next season if he’s playing in the NFL."

He forcasts that we'll move on from Lotulelei, but the savings from cutting him are meagre, only $1.5M.  That's not much above vet minimum, and might cost us more to replace him.  So I suspect whether he stays or we move on, will depend upon where we think he is health-wise and what he wants to do.

The most positive part of it was at the beginning, the quotes from Schoen and Beane:

Probably the most interesting part was at the end:

Beane seems to like to start negotiating with important players the year before their contract is up.  Renegotiating Diggs contract to extend him and lower his 2020 cap hit would actually give us more space than cutting a lot of these guys.

Overall, I thought it was pretty wishy-washy and vague from Joe B.

As a proud member of the 3/4 club, i am actually coming back from the ledge that Edmunds is going to be extended.   Seems a lot negotiations (not all), but most, stop when the season starts.   So if Beane doesnt extend Edmunds before the start of week 1, then the end of the 22 season leaves the Bills 2 options,  tag Edmunds or let him test FA.   Im coming around to they will let him test FA unless he turns it up to 11 next year.

Edited by billsfan714

Seeing three Guards on that list might be a Guard too many, especially since Bates is a RFA as well. I can't see them getting rid of Williams, but Feliciano and Ford could be wearing Jersey Blue next season.

I could see Klein coming back on the cheap.

I could see the Bills and Beasley mutually decide to go in separate directions.

We don't need a Punter, save the money and make QB2 the holder on FGs and XPs.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when they bring Williams in to talk about a pay cut. I'd imagine he's going to be thinking..."Aren't you the same guys, and isn't this the same room where we negotiated a big pay RAISE less than a year ago?"  

Edited by SoCal Deek

6 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

If a 3rd year UDFA can outplay him then so can an affordable vet. But we know Beane uses free agency to plug holes and I doubt he would create a hole by cutting Williams. Hopefully they can get him to take a pay cut because $9.9 million is wayyyyyyy too much for a mediocre guard to be making.

Who? 

I'd still try to extend him a year to lower his average salary.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I would love to be a fly on the wall when they bring Williams in to talk about a pay cut. I'd imagine he's going to be thinking..."Aren't you the same guys, and isn't this the same room where we negotiated a big pay RAISE less than a year ago?"  

"Yes, but as a RT, where you struggled this year.  So we're moving you permanently to RG."

Williams isn't going anywhere imo. We need to upgrade the line, not make it weaker. He was solid at guard second half of the season and he is fine as backup tackle.

I'd re-sign Bates, bring in Scherff or other best available FA OG, draft IOL in first 3 rounds and still keep Williams. OL has to be a priority.

Beasley has been great at times, but there are probably some very good FA receivers out there who would play with Josh Allen for free. And likewise, there will be many desperate teams looking for a Beasley-type safety valve for their barely adequate QB. On the other hand, if Sanders is also gone, Davis can't replace both vets. 

I don't envy NFL GMs (except for their salaries, of course). It's a complex matrix, and you can only control so much of it anyway. 

Edited by skibum

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

"Yes, but as a RT, where you struggled this year.  So we're moving you permanently to RG."

I'm sure that's exactly what Beane's going to say, but I'm also pretty sure Williams agent is going to reply...."So says you, because you then went and drafted a RT....maybe I wouldn't be being asked to take a pay cut had you drafted a RG". 😉

I'll never cease to be amazed at how much work they make for themselves with the way NFL contracts are structured. Seems to me they should be shaped more like a traditional bell curve, where they gradually go up and then gradually go back down. The player wouldn't feel like the Team doesn't love them anymore, and the Team wouldn't have these awkward moments where they have to give their one-prized free agent an ultimatum. I'm sure they know what they're doing but from the outside it looks like working harder, rather than smarter.

On 2/3/2022 at 5:49 PM, Doc said:

He’s also their backup right tackle. He fills 2 roles. I think I’d trust him more than Tommy Doyle if there is an injury to Brown

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.