Athletic article forecasting our cap casualties

transplantbillsfan

https://theathletic.com/3110889/2022/02/03/forecasting-bills-2022-cap-casualty-candidates-including-mitch-morse-cole-beasley-and-star-lotulelei/

Basically the prediction is we keep Morse and Beasley... that's it.

Whether cut or potentially traded (Ford), the prediction is that D Williams, Klein, Star, Feliciano, Matakevich, Ford, & Hack are all gone.

If that were all to hold true, cutting those players would give us just over $24 million in Cap savings.

I still wish we would make every effort to resign McKenzie and cut Beasley, who is a $7.6 million Cap hit this coming season.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think Matakevich will be offered to stay with a pay cut like Morse was last year. He takes a lot of the core ST snaps. If he takes it or not is another issue.

I think Ford's future with the team hinges on if he fits what Dorsey wants to run in the blocking schemes. If he fits what we went to do (even as a reserve) he'll likely be here finishing out his rookie contract. 

Even though Beane "anticipates Beasley being back" he also said they have not had a conversation yet. At his current cap hit...not certain he's here. Also, no guarentee he will rework his deal which may end up leading to a release. 

Lots of moving parts with all these guys, for sure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Oh and also, this little nugget

But in all the turnover came a small clue about what to expect from the Bills’ offseason.

When fielding questions at his introductory news conference, Schoen alluded to what he was doing for the Bills leading up to getting hired by the Giants.

“I was working towards free agency,” he said. “We were gonna have some money over there.”

we're cutting players and freeing up money.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I would be okay with all of these guys gone.

Beasley, Williams, and Morse have value. The question is their price and the depth of team and needs.

If cutting these players gets us Bates and Phillips and the possibility of resigning McKenzie/Wallace and 1-2 upgrades at any of the following areas: OG/ 3rd WR/2nd RB/2nd CB/Big DT/Upgraded Edge, then sign me up.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Don't see Williams being cut because there's no replacement on the market who will come even at the same price and be better.  I can see an extension for Klein.  Beasley will depend on who they can get in FA and/or the draft. The rest can go.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

Don't see Williams being cut because there's no replacement on the market who will come even at the same price and be better.  I can see an extension for Klein.  Beasley will depend on who they can get in FA and/or the draft. The rest can go.

They actually speculate more that he'll take a pay cut, but wouldn't be surprised if he's cut.

2 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

I know Star is not popular around here, but with 7.7 mil in dead money and a total savings of 1.5 mil I say keep him.  Im not sure how many guys that are out there that are better for less than 1.5 mil...

He only managed to play in 11 games despite a full year off.  And he's 32.  Not worth it.  Time to turn the page.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

I know Star is not popular around here, but with 7.7 mil in dead money and a total savings of 1.5 mil I say keep him.  Im not sure how many guys that are out there that are better for less than 1.5 mil...

I tend to agree.  I hope we can resign Phillips and I hope Zimmer comes back healthy.  Having Oliver and Phillips as our starters with Zimmer and Star able to rotate in next year seems like a pretty darn good DT rotation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

They actually speculate more that he'll take a pay cut, but wouldn't be surprised if he's cut.

They may approach him about a pay cut or extension to lower his base salary.  But I can't see them cutting him, again given the market.

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He only managed to play in 11 games despite a full year off.  And he's 32.  Not worth it.  Time to turn the page.

I think the other poster's perspective on it is the way the Bills will approach it, though.

It's only a savings of $1.5 million to cut him.  Star would be a fantastic backup/rotational DT.  He was still pretty good on the field this year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I think relative to his performance, Klein is not overpaid.  Relative to how much we use him, he is.  Having a $5m guy or whatever sitting on the bench is a luxury & one I don't think we can afford.

Star is overpaid.  But, w/ all his dead cap, can you really replace his production for ~$1.5 or whatever the savings?  Dubious.

Assuming we run relatively the same offense as before, IF we resign McKenzie (for a relatively modest amount), I think Beasley's production is overpriced & he's a goner.  If we lose McKenzie, maybe try to extend Beasley so his cap hit isn't as much & then likely have some dead hit next yr.  (Sort of like what we did w/ Addison.)

8 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think the other poster's perspective on it is the way the Bills will approach it, though.

It's only a savings of $1.5 million to cut him.  Star would be a fantastic backup/rotational DT.  He was still pretty good on the field this year.  

Yes, that is my point.  In reality he is only costing 1.5 mil.   I think some are seeing his 9.6 mil cap hit and think cut him.  I would too if there was no dead money.  

If

17 minutes ago, artmalibu said:

The issue with Star is availability and he has not been very available.  I was a big supporter of him and no longer.

There are guys who will be available for 1.5 million is you count per game available.

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

I’m not a fan of his play, but I think there’s a fair chance Star will stay another year too.  One is what you pointed out - only a $1.5M cap savings, though that includes $2.6M dead cap accelerated from 2023.  They could designate him a July 1st cut and keep that $2.6M dead cap in 2023, which would create $4.1M in room in 2022.

But the bigger issue to me is that Oliver is the only other DT currently under contract for 2022 (unless you want to count Basham, which I wouldn’t).  Star is due a $500k roster bonus on 3/22.  The league year starts on 3/16.  So it might all come down to whether or not Beane can find a suitable replacement for him and at what price.  Or maybe he does take a pay cut to stay.

Heres hoping they can sign Phillips to a reasonable extension before 3/16 too.  That might help them make the decision on Star. 

1 hour ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Whether cut or potentially traded (Ford), the prediction is that D Williams, Klein, Star, Feliciano, Matakevich, Ford, & Hack are all gone.

I can see all these guys potentially being cap casualties.  A couple of these guys may be asked first to take a pay cut.

Beane got 3 players to take pay cuts last year and I think he goes for that again.

Williams was signed as a RT and has been "demoted" (at least for salary wise) to RG.  I can see him taking a $1M to $2M cut.

If Star was cut it's only $1.5M cap savings but if he decides to retire and the Bills let him keep his signing bonus but then he gives up

another $2.5M in 2022 guaranteed salary of dead cap.  A result of $4.0M in cap savings and not having him on the 2023 roster I think

is worth it.

Beane also will do some modest restructures.

33 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Oh and also, this little nugget

But in all the turnover came a small clue about what to expect from the Bills’ offseason.

When fielding questions at his introductory news conference, Schoen alluded to what he was doing for the Bills leading up to getting hired by the Giants.

“I was working towards free agency,” he said. “We were gonna have some money over there.”

we're cutting players and freeing up money.

There could also be a good amount of restructuring of contracts too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.