Thurman Thomas was far faster than I thought he was...

Big Turk

14 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

If you haven't seen OJ Simpson run then take a look. Spiller might have better clocked speed but OJ had size and speed that might be unparalleled to anyone except Bo Jackson.

Juice had track speed.  He was an All-American in track at USC.  His stride is longer than CJ’s.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Saw a clip on youtube that popped up showing every Thomas TD from 88-90 and there were some really long plays where he ran away from people.  Did not remember him being that fast, but he was definitely faster than I remembered.

Because you've been stuck watching Dingleberry lol dude is so slow. Moss too.

15 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

I'm not old enough to remember the games all that well, I was 8-11 during the prime years.

Though I've always considered Thurman one of the first modern day RBs. His style is still relevant which can't be said for most of the league RBs in that era.

I think plenty of RB's from the 'old days' could stomp ass in today's league.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Just think, Thurman had Barry Sanders on the bench behind him at OSU. Got injured as he tore his ACL... and when he returned...Sanders went back to riding the bench. 

Thomas fell to Buffalo in the second round, pick 40 because most teams thought he was overworked in College and all used up...also that knee injury. 7 RB's were taken ahead of Thurman in that 88 draft. 

The one thing Dan Marino never had at Miami was a Thurman Thomas at RB. John Elway didn't win a SB until Terrell Davis. 

Yah but if you ask today you can get a RB anywhere to fill the spot & do what you need done on the offense just choose any one they'll get it done it had to be more the O line than it was Thurman !! 

WHAT EVER !! 🙄

Can you imagine this Bills offense with a Thurman Thomas in the back field :worthy: !! OMG ...

Edited by T master
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

My lasting memories are of him being caught from behind on long, break away runs that should have gone all the way but for his lack of speed.

Kenny Davis had more runs to the house than Thurman had (as I remember it) because he was that much faster.

I still say Thurman was as dangerous an overall offensive weapon as this league has ever seen.

THAT is your "lasting memories" of Thurman Thomas? Holy crap man! You got it bad...

Also, Davis was about the same top end speed as Thurm, but he looked real fast with those quick feet of his.

22 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Just think, Thurman had Barry Sanders on the bench behind him at OSU. Got injured as he tore his ACL... and when he returned...Sanders went back to riding the bench. 

Thomas fell to Buffalo in the second round, pick 40 because most teams thought he was overworked in College and all used up...also that knee injury. 7 RB's were taken ahead of Thurman in that 88 draft. 

The one thing Dan Marino never had at Miami was a Thurman Thomas at RB. John Elway didn't win a SB until Terrell Davis. 

We need to find Josh his Thurman Thomas...👍

I remember his longer runs more as beautifully surfing a wave and finding the exact right path more than running away from people.

Agreed with those that cited quickness more than speed.

1 hour ago, T master said:

Yah but if you ask today you can get a RB anywhere to fill the spot & do what you need done on the offense just choose any one they'll get it done it had to be more the O line than it was Thurman !! 

WHAT EVER !! 🙄

Can you imagine this Bills offense with a Thurman Thomas in the back field :worthy: !! OMG ...

Yeah, Thurman on these Bills would probably average 4.6 a carry and get around 10 - 12 carries a game. It'd be fantastic.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Saw a clip on youtube that popped up showing every Thomas TD from 88-90 and there were some really long plays where he ran away from people.  Did not remember him being that fast, but he was definitely faster than I remembered.

He was very shifty too. Not Barry Sanders shifty, but then again ... NO ONE is that shifty

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

The icing on the cake was when Thurman just handed to ball to a ref after his TD.

No celebrations ever. True Pro.

He celebrated on the first TD of his career. Upon returning to the sideline, Marv Levy told him to "act like you've been there before." He never again celebrated a TD.

22 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

Does anyone else remember how after being tackled he would lay on the grass for a while and scare you into thinking oh no 34 is hurt. He used to take a long time to get back up as I recall. Then he would get up do something huge and lay there for a minute again

Jim Brown used to do that to the opposing team. Make them think they had hurt him and then would get a huge play on the next down. He said it was demoralizing to opponents.

19 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Only Marshall Faulk and LaDainian Tomlinson are in his league in my opinion.  Both were a little faster than Thurman. Thurman was a better pure pass route runner and receiver as well as a better pass blocker.

Roger Craig is the first RB to run and receive for 1,000 yards in the same season.  Great blocker too.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

It was so much fun watching Sanders and Thomas in their primes.

Both would crush it in today's NFL.

Especially Thurman though. He was Marshall Faulk before that was a thing. 

It pains me to hear people say Faulk was the greatest all around RB. Marcus Allen started the trend. Thurman took it to another level

Thurman had very good speed, not elite speed. IIRC he played his entire career with a severely damaged ligament in his knee, which is the only reason why he fell to us in the second round. Lord knows how good he would have been if that knee was 100% healthy.

I think what made Thurman great was his sense of balance. He was able to absorb huge hits while being able to recover his footing without falling over. Very low center of gravity and the man was an absolute nightmare as a receiver. Had he not played RB, I feel strongly that he could of played WR.

Even in today’s NFL, Thurman would very likely be one of the top 2-3 receiving RBs in the league right up there with McCaffery and Kamara.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.