Thurman Thomas was far faster than I thought he was...

Big Turk

Thurman was tremendous. His situational awareness was fantastic. Pass blocking, pass catching, what was needed for a first down. Everything. He was a team guy and a stud. Yes he had good teammates around him on those offenses but he made everybody look better too. One of my all time favorite Bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Thurman Thomas was, IMO, the best RB of the past 40 years. He was also the last Buffalo Bill to be named league MVP.

Thurman was incredible, and in a time when the game was much more based on defense and running the ball, he was a 2000's era RB.

He could run, for sure, with incredible vision, power and speed. Then he could line up as a freaking WR and catch the ball 25 yards down the field along the sideline, not just in the slot (although he could do that too).

Then he could come in and pass block or run block for another runner. 

The dude was a 2020's RB 30 years ago, when you could hold, illegal contact was not a thing, and pass interference was rarely called. Guys could take headshots without it being a penalty. There was no defenseless WR. I could go on and on, but in an era of brutal, physical defense he was still nearly unstoppable. 

In today's game he would be even more unstoppable. 

I would take Thurman Thomas over EVERY RB who has played since 1980, at least. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Thurman Thomas was, IMO, the best RB of the past 40 years. He was also the last Buffalo Bill to be named league MVP.

Thurman was incredible, and in a time when the game was much more based on defense and running the ball, he was a 2000's era RB.

He could run, for sure, with incredible vision, power and speed. Then he could line up as a freaking WR and catch the ball 25 yards down the field along the sideline, not just in the slot (although he could do that too).

The dude was a 2020's RB 30 years ago, when you could hold, illegal contact was not a thing, and pass interference was rarely called. Guys could take headshots without it being a penalty. There was no defenseless WR. I could go on and on, but in an era of brutal, physical defense he was still nearly unstoppable. 

I love Thurman, but there is a lot of debate on who the best RB since 1980 is.

Hell, there will be idiots who wouldn't even have Thurman in the top 10.

Anyways, imagine if Josh had Thurman?

2 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I love Thurman, but there is a lot of debate on who the best RB since 1980 is.

Hell, there will be idiots who wouldn't even have Thurman in the top 10.

Anyways, imagine if Josh had Thurman?

If Josh had Thurman of the 1990 season then we might never punt all season, unless Josh uncorked a deep ball on 3rd down and just missed a guy andwe had to here and there. 

I also loved Barry Sanders, but he was not as good as Thurman as an all around back, IMO. Emmitt Smith was also great, but not the all around threat. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

Always remember a Monday night game I think against the Jets, had a shot at  the single game rushng record, he was just gashing them.   Didnt care about the record, sat out garbage time in a Bills win.

I was at that Monday night game in NJ.   He had over 200 yards on less than 20 carries.   Averaged 11 or 12 yards / carry. Definitely could've set some records that night if he played the whole game

Great player, great team mate, BETTER PERSON.

1995..Panthers 1st visit to Buffalo. Frank Reich qb

My 10 yr old son's birthday. 

He burns his hand on bbq and is bandaged in first aid but we stay. 

Front row seats, 50 yd line behind Bills bench. At half time he sees my son and nods.

Game over, Bills win. TT jogs over to our seats, reaches up and gives his gloves to my son. Smiles and jogs off to the dressing room.

They are framed, and autographed. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

This^^^^

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Niagara Bill said:

Great player, great team mate, BETTER PERSON.

1995..Panthers 1st visit to Buffalo. Frank Reich qb

My 10 yr old son's birthday. 

He burns his hand on bbq and is bandaged in first aid but we stay. 

Front row seats, 50 yd line behind Bills bench. At half time he sees my son and nods.

Game over, Bills win. TT jogs over to our seats, reaches up and gives his gloves to my son. Smiles and jogs off to the dressing room.

They are framed, and autographed. 

I can corroborate. I once had the chance to meet TT in person and he was incredibly friendly and nice. Once he found out I was a Bills fan (and I didn’t even tell him he was my favorite player, didn’t want to look like a kiss-up), he gave me a bunch of cool gear. Very cool, very warm person who I feel honored to have met.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, fan_in_tx said:

Think of it this way... I recall CJ Spiller being caught from behind on 2 or 3 occasions and I believe he was the fastest running back we have ever had. 

If you haven't seen OJ Simpson run then take a look. Spiller might have better clocked speed but OJ had size and speed that might be unparalleled to anyone except Bo Jackson.

• Like (+1) 2

Straight line speed isn't even in my top 5 skills for a RB. 

1. Vision

2. Quickness 

3. Pass catching/route running

4. Read blocks

5. Ability to break tackles

6. Speed

7. Pass blocking 

I'd take all of these traits which Thurman excelled at over a straight speed guy like Spiller who had none of these. 

Thurman is my favorite player of all time though Josh is challenging that with every dramatic moment.

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Only Marshall Faulk and LaDainian Tomlinson are in his league in my opinion.  Both were a little faster than Thurman. Thurman was a better pure pass route runner and receiver as well as a better pass blocker.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.