East-West Shrine Game

Mark Vader

Apologies that it has taken me a couple of days to get to this... them moving the game to the early hours of Friday morning UK time was not ideal but I did watch it back yesterday and here is a summary of the guys that stood out to me:

Offense

Let's start at the most important position on the field and you would be hard pressed to come up with a more impressive performance than that of #4 East, Quarterback, EJ Perry out of Brown University. I had never heard of Brown University before but apparently it is an Ivy League school and Perry transferred there after appearing in 5 games as a sophomore at Boston College. He was the second Quarterback in for the East but almost pulled off a miraculous comeback. He is not the biggest, he officially measured in at 6'1, and he doesn't look to have a massive arm but he played with some moxie, he displayed nice touch and was making quick, decisive reads and getting the ball out. The guy he reminded me of a little bit was Austin Davis who went undrafted in 2012 but went on to make 10 NFL starts for three different teams and hung around the league for 6 or 7 seasons as a backup. I think he will likely be an UDFA but if his performance in this game was anything to go by he could push for a roster spot somewhere. 

The rest of the eye-catchers on offense were on the West roster starting with #65 West, Right Tackle, Austin Deculus out of LSU. He was absolutely blowing people off the line in the run game and left 1v1 the majority of the time in pass protection (I noticed the West were doubling on the left side a lot) did a really nice job keeping the Quarterback clean. In terms of transition to the next level he measured at 6'5 so you look at him and say he has the size and length to play tackle but I did have a slight concern about foot speed so might look at him as a guy who slides inside to guard. Either way I expect him to get drafted on day 3. He was helped inside on the starting offensive line by #67 West, Right Guard, Cordell Volson and between then they created huge running lanes for #19 West, Running Back, Ty Chandler out of North Carolina. Volson also played tackle in college at North Dakota State and has already transitioned inside. He is a nasty run blocker who puts defenders on the grass. Loved the way he was able to carry momentum, keep his feet moving and finish his blocks. Another guy I think will be drafted on day 3. Chandler is probably a day 3 guy as well but he helped himself with 11 for 69 on the ground and demonstrated really nice burst. He looks tailor made for the proliferation of stretch zone offenses in the NFL where he has the speed to get the defense on their heels and then a sudden cut ability to hit the cutback lanes. Think he is scheme specific but I wouldn't be shocked in the right system if he becomes one of those mid round running backs that out produces his draft stock. If you are looking for a guy who might go day 2 in the draft then look no further than #89 West, Tight End, Jelani Woods out of Virginia. He had 3 catches for 30 yards and a touchdown, demonstrated full effort in his run blocking and made the special teams play at the end of the game. Couldn't have done much. He is not the most explosive, but he is deceptively quick when his long strides get going and he has the potential to be a really solid #2 Tight End somewhere in 12 personnel and offering a safety blanket as a receiver. 

Defense

The first man to catch the eyes on defense was #50 East, Defensive Tackle, Marquan McCall an absolute beast of a man who weighted in at 350lbs out of Kentucky. For a man that size his first step is explosive and while you look at him and say immediately "nose tackle" this isn't a guy who will just play laterally and occupy blocks he is going to make offensive linemen play him vertically as well. Teams might want him to drop just a little bit of weight and I think an NFL conditioning programme would help him, but you don't mind many men his size with that first step speed. He will get drafted but is probably a scheme specific fit for a 3-4 team looking for a nose at this stage. Also on the East defense was #29 East, Safety, Juanyeh Thomas out of Georgia Tech who had a really impressive endzone tackle to save a touchdown early and was flying around all night. He demonstrated excellent closing speed and can play in off coverage and then come up and hit. He is likely a very late pick (think mid 6th onwards) or an UDFA because he is a bit raw and his positioning needs work but the speed and size combination is going to be interesting for teams as a developmental player and I read today he has special teams experience, which might help him make a roster. Finally for my defensive stand outs was #26 West, Corner, Ja'Sir Taylor out of Wake Forest. He is strictly a nickel corner only but for a smaller guy he comes up and hits in run support and was sticky in coverage across the middle. Probably an UDFA but there are plenty of guys who have been that and then made an impact in the league in the nickel. He was a fun guy to watch. Played it like his life depended on it. 

There you go folks. Disappointed we didn't get to see Kyle Phillips, who Barbarian referred to above but they were the guys who popped on my screen. Interested in thoughts from anyone else who watched - any other guys stand out to you? I am going to try and watch the Senior Bowl today because I was out last night and will do a similar report from that when I get around to it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Apologies that it has taken me a couple of days to get to this... them moving the game to the early hours of Friday morning UK time was not ideal but I did watch it back yesterday and here is a summary of the guys that stood out to me:

Offense

Let's start at the most important position on the field and you would be hard pressed to come up with a more impressive performance than that of #4 East, Quarterback, EJ Perry out of Brown University. I had never heard of Brown University before but apparently it is an Ivy League school and Perry transferred there after appearing in 5 games as a sophomore at Boston College. He was the second Quarterback in for the East but almost pulled off a miraculous comeback. He is not the biggest, he officially measured in at 6'1, and he doesn't look to have a massive arm but he played with some moxie, he displayed nice touch and was making quick, decisive reads and getting the ball out. The guy he reminded me of a little bit was Austin Davis who went undrafted in 2012 but went on to make 10 NFL starts for three different teams and hung around the league for 6 or 7 seasons as a backup. I think he will likely be an UDFA but if his performance in this game was anything to go by he could push for a roster spot somewhere. 

The rest of the eye-catchers on offense were on the West roster starting with #65 West, Right Tackle, Austin Deculus out of LSU. He was absolutely blowing people off the line in the run game and left 1v1 the majority of the time in pass protection (I noticed the West were doubling on the left side a lot) did a really nice job keeping the Quarterback clean. In terms of transition to the next level he measured at 6'5 so you look at him and say he has the size and length to play tackle but I did have a slight concern about foot speed so might look at him as a guy who slides inside to guard. Either way I expect him to get drafted on day 3. He was helped inside on the starting offensive line by #67 West, Right Guard, Cordell Volson and between then they created huge running lanes for #19 West, Running Back, Ty Chandler out of North Carolina. Volson also played tackle in college at North Dakota State and has already transitioned inside. He is a nasty run blocker who puts defenders on the grass. Loved the way he was able to carry momentum, keep his feet moving and finish his blocks. Another guy I think will be drafted on day 3. Chandler is probably a day 3 guy as well but he helped himself with 11 for 69 on the ground and demonstrated really nice burst. He looks tailor made for the proliferation of stretch zone offenses in the NFL where he has the speed to get the defense on their heels and then a sudden cut ability to hit the cutback lanes. Think he is scheme specific but I wouldn't be shocked in the right system if he becomes one of those mid round running backs that out produces his draft stock. If you are looking for a guy who might go day 2 in the draft then look no further than #89 West, Tight End, Jelani Woods out of Virginia. He had 3 catches for 30 yards and a touchdown, demonstrated full effort in his run blocking and made the special teams play at the end of the game. Couldn't have done much. He is not the most explosive, but he is deceptively quick when his long strides get going and he has the potential to be a really solid #2 Tight End somewhere in 12 personnel and offering a safety blanket as a receiver. 

Defense

The first man to catch the eyes on defense was #50 East, Defensive Tackle, Marquan McCall an absolute beast of a man who weighted in at 350lbs out of Kentucky. For a man that size his first step is explosive and while you look at him and say immediately "nose tackle" this isn't a guy who will just play laterally and occupy blocks he is going to make offensive linemen play him vertically as well. Teams might want him to drop just a little bit of weight and I think an NFL conditioning programme would help him, but you don't mind many men his size with that first step speed. He will get drafted but is probably a scheme specific fit for a 3-4 team looking for a nose at this stage. Also on the East defense was #29 East, Safety, Juanyeh Thomas out of Georgia Tech who had a really impressive endzone tackle to save a touchdown early and was flying around all night. He demonstrated excellent closing speed and can play in off coverage and then come up and hit. He is likely a very late pick (think mid 6th onwards) or an UDFA because he is a bit raw and his positioning needs work but the speed and size combination is going to be interesting for teams as a developmental player and I read today he has special teams experience, which might help him make a roster. Finally for my defensive stand outs was #26 West, Corner, Ja'Sir Taylor out of Wake Forest. He is strictly a nickel corner only but for a smaller guy he comes up and hits in run support and was sticky in coverage across the middle. Probably an UDFA but there are plenty of guys who have been that and then made an impact in the league in the nickel. He was a fun guy to watch. Played it like his life depended on it. 

There you go folks. Disappointed we didn't get to see Kyle Phillips, who Barbarian referred to above but they were the guys who popped on my screen. Interested in thoughts from anyone else who watched - any other guys stand out to you? I am going to try and watch the Senior Bowl today because I was out last night and will do a similar report from that when I get around to it.

What happened to Phillips, saw him look great at practice but not in the game?

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Offense

Defense

Thank you, Gunner.

I can't believe you didn't know that Brown was an Ivy League school.

On 2/6/2022 at 10:17 AM, GunnerBill said:

Offense

Defense

I haven't watched the recording of the Shrine game yet.  

How did Noah Ellis play?     

6'4" 360#........highly recruited son of a former stud NFL DT Luther Ellis...........just chose to play at Idaho St. because his dad was the DL coach there.

I know he looked good in practices because there were some dominant clips of him plowing OL over on the bull rush that people were gushing about.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I haven't watched the recording of the Shrine game yet.  

How did Noah Ellis play?     

6'4" 360#........highly recruited son of a former stud NFL DT Luther Ellis...........just chose to play at Idaho St. because his dad was the DL coach there.

I know he looked good in practices because there were some dominant clips of him plowing OL over on the bull rush that people were gushing about.

Interesting question. I watched the game and wondered the same thing 😀. I had heard the buzz from the practices but when none of the DL I saw making plays was checking out was him (I just watch the game then when a player catches my eye for a reason I cross reference against the roster) I looked all the way down the roster and he hadn't been allocated a number. I think that means he didn't play in the game. This has happened a fair bit in the all star games this year - guys like him, Kyle Phillips the receiver out of UCLA, Jermaine Johnson the edge out of Florida State - they turn up, blow up in the practices and then call stumps and don't play in the game (suppose because nothing left to gain at that stage and don't want to risk injury?)

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.