Mike McDaniel hired as HC by Miami

Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

He was a ball boy with the Broncos when he was in high school as his mom married a member of the Broncos video staff.  When he graduated from Yale Mike Shanahan hired him as an intern for his technical expertise.

technical expertise after a history degree from Yale?  Seems like a stretch.  Any other FB background prior to 2005?   

At any rate, odd hire.  Although he did get a lot out of Jimmy G.  

On 2/2/2022 at 10:58 PM, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He’s a pretty smart guy. This will be a good pick up for Miami if they hire him Friday

I doubt anything comes from this, the NFL already investigated Miami back in 19-20 and they came up with nothing. I’m getting the feeling this is sour grapes from Flores end. He doesn’t like the fact he got fired so he’s going after his former employer 

So as a former post-secondary educator, and someone who worked hard to keep up with best practice in the teaching of underprepared and first generation learners especially, what McDaniel is describing here is "transparency." A teacher, or coach, can foster more trust, buy-in, and efficacy by giving students, or players, an honest look behind the curtain.

Essentially: this is what we're doing, this is why we're doing it and how it will benefit you (and/or the team) in the short- and long-term, and this is how you'll be evaluated on it. It's a whole school of scholarship in pedagogical design. And it's just an authentic way to reach diverse learning cohorts. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, fan_in_tx said:

Looking at his history how did this guy get an NFL Intern job with Washington in 2005?  He was a history major at YALE.  Wondering who sponsored him into the league.  No football background that I could find in my limited research.  

Actually his resume is probably similar, to Brian Flores when he was hired by the Miami. Maybe better. What background do ya want? Not every coach needs to have nfl playing experience. Looks like he knew what he wanted to do the minute he left college and went out and pursued it.

I think scheme wise for Tua... this is a fit. I argued they should go stretch zone last year. I don't think Tua quite has Jimmy G's arm but otherwise their skill sets are familiar. Both are "see it before I throw it" types rather than anticipatory throwers, both can move around but are not runners and both generally have decent touch but don't challenge tight windows. Myles Gaskin should thrive in the run game too although there is an element of re-making the oline that is still needed. 

So I get it with this hire schematically. The question is as posed above. Is he just a glorified coordinator or is he a leader of men? On that it remains to be seen. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 2/2/2022 at 10:57 PM, Augie said:

IF what Flores alleges regarding paying for losses proves to be true, this will probably be the last hire Ross ever makes for the Dolphins. In this day and age, with the gambling angle especially, THAT has to lead to swift action by the league. 

He is just mad they wasted the tank on Tua ;) 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 2/2/2022 at 11:08 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

cool segment for an inside look, but I dont hear anything ground breaking here. Im not at all saying he isnt a genius coordinator, I just dont think this example shows anything every other team isnt doing.  Would love to hear something unique in a setting like this!

That clip is weird...he uses the "F" word 3 or 4 times seemingly out of place kind of for the sake of doing it, not for emphasis.  The culture of an NFL coaching room seems really gross to me.  Bunch of unlikeable people.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.