(Edit) Loss of coordinators' effect on success next season

Just in Atlanta

5 minutes ago, TH3 said:

damn...you are correct....no teams with their QB on the second contract ever get to the CG or super bowls....

How do people makes these statements when the history shows just the opposite...?

lol yeah.

People are talking like having an amazing QB who is worth a mega contract is a bad thing.  It's ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

lol yeah.

People are talking like having an amazing QB who is worth a mega contract is a bad thing.  It's ridiculous.

Yeah, nobody seems to think that the Chiefs are done, but the Bills window is closed.  

Tom Brady never made a Super Bowl after his first contract...

Dang.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Jan. 8, 2000 was the only time I broke something after a Bills loss: I threw my remote at the TV, shattering it into pieces. 

This loss, due to the improbability of it — it was called the Music City Miracle after all — was the worst by far for me. 

Here's the important thing: Accustomed to success, who of us thought it would be the last time we'd see our Bills in the post season for 20 years?

I KNEW we'd be back soon. But we lost Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas AND Bruce Smith at once. And Wade Phillips and his coaching staff were replaced by Mike Williams. Dark days, friends, dark days. 

Much to the happiness of so many posters, we lost our offensive coordinator, who architected video game like numbers last year and a surge back to life during the later half of this season. Much to the happiness of many posters, we're also (probably?) losing our defensive coordinator, who architected the best on paper defense this season. 

I personally don't understand how people know, just know, these coordinators are bad. My prediction is, the grass isn't greener and we were lucky to have these guys. I also believe our Super Bowl window was the most open this season. But those are only guesses. 

So, I'd recommend being grateful for what we had these past two years. I have no idea how our new OC will perform, what his philosophy is, and how we'd change under a new DC. In a game where inches and seconds count, even small changes can have big effects — positive and negative. 

Whether or not we ever win the SB, the years we have with 17 will be the most enjoyable time in franchise history.  I have no doubts. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

So what am I to take away from this thread?  We could be worse?  We could be better?  Be thankful, but also realize that we may not win a SB?  Thanks for such keen insight into the obvious.

it may snow tomorrow, it may not ..... 50/50 chance of partly cloudy weather too

8 minutes ago, TH3 said:

damn...you are correct....no teams with their QB on the second contract ever get to the CG or super bowls....

How do people makes these statements when the history shows just the opposite...?

You are, respectfully, either young or ignorant or both to the  Bills' long  history.

I know what other teams do.

More importantly I know what this team's history is, other teams be damned.

...and reading comprehension is important, because I need you to show me where I said it wasn't possible.

I was commenting on that I don't think the window is opening, there are obstacles to overcome, we've seen amazing, record setting performances from the most important position in all of sports, and we didn't get there, so what has to give or what do we need to get over it and can we get it.

I have no desire and am not trying to insult you.  If the above is an insult to you I am sorry and I don't mean it that way...but don't do it to me just because you have "stunned" disagreement with me.  I've been to this rodeo before as fan for over 50 years.  That's how I make THIS comment.  Facts.  Numbers.  History.

Peace and Go Bills.

• Eyeroll 2

This post was written at the start of Free Agency in March 2021.

Condensed Version

I said the Bills had to go "all-in" and that this year's season and next year would be the best Super Bowl window the team likely has with Josh Allen.

This year's Rams made the Super Bowl and did this by getting Miller, Beckham, Stafford, etc. They went all-in this year.

March 2021 post

The Bills' roster is currently constructed to win the Super Bowl in the next two years (now 1 year)

Beane has re-signed last year's squad. A solid start for continuity as a playoff contender.

Now we must go over the top! This year may be the best shot to win the Lombardi. This team must go "All-In" during this brief window!This is the season where we are 1-2 pieces away.

If we need a Najee Harris, a George Kittle, a Khalil Mack-type of player, go for it! Whatever player or two will fill those missing pieces, go and get it.

Kick the can down the road a year or two. I don't care. Trade our picks, cut a popular overpaid veteran, restructure another deal or two. Anything less than "all-in" this year takes away this window.

Yes, Allen and our younger core make it so a second window can come open in the next 10 years.

Barring significant injury, the Bills' are playoff caliber this decade.

But, this first window is wide open right now! A 2nd window is highly probable but no guarantee.

Allen will never be cheaper. The Patriots and Jets have not gained much ground. The Ravens do not have enough offense or the Titans. The Steelers are rarely this messed up. Miami is not a threat yet. Brees is done and Rodgers may have missed his 2nd window these past two years.

And, as talented as the Bills' young core is, future contracts will be massively more expensive. Depth will be harder to maintain and we may not have this many players in or around their prime for awhile.

Get that DE/RB/TE/LB/TE or whatever will fill our championship hole!

Ask Dan Marino and Elway about their first open window. Marino never got a 2nd one. Guys like Elway and Manning squeezed through their 2nd window and did so with significant support and a fair amount of lucky timing.

Now is not the time to settle for really good. Now is the right time to push the ante upward.

Throw the haymaker. Bring in the closer. Go for the jugular. Make the kill shot. 

This is the Window. This is the Way! (Fun Mandalorian reference). 🏈

February 2022 Update

Mortgage some of the farm. Get that RB. Get that DT that suffocates the run or the DE that gets sacks.

No loyalty to Morse, Hughes, Addison, Edmunds, Beasley, Haack, Sanders, etc.

Get that legit 2nd TE for run blocking or that 3rd receiver. Hell with the process. Get Michael Thomas if he is healthy and only a minor a-hole. He'd love Allen.

If Frazier is a liability, get him out. If he is not, this is his last year.

Super Bowl trophy or bust. Playoffs is great but we passed that expectation. The path to win it only becomes harder going forward.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You are, respectfully, either young or ignorant or both to the  Bills' long  history.

I know what other teams do.

More importantly I know what this team's history is, other teams be damned.

...and reading comprehension is important, because I need you to show me where I said it wasn't possible.

I was commenting on that I don't think the window is opening, there are obstacles to overcome, we've seen amazing, record setting performances from the most important position in all of sports, and we didn't get there, so what has to give or what do we need to get over it and can we get it.

I have no desire and am not trying to insult you.  If the above is an insult to you I am sorry and I don't mean it that way...but don't do it to me just because you have "stunned" disagreement with me.  I've been to this rodeo before as fan for over 50 years.  That's how I make THIS comment.  Facts.  Numbers.  History.

Peace and Go Bills.

I have been a fan for 50 years too...Past history of this franchise has nothing  - except superstition - to do with the future. QB's on their second contracts have nothing to do with windows closing on any franchise...unless that franchise is poorly run...

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TH3 said:

I have been a fan for 50 years too...Past history of this franchise has nothing  - except superstition - to do with the future. QB's on their second contracts have nothing to do with windows closing on any franchise...unless that franchise is poorly run...

TH3...I dig it.

I hear you.

I'm bitter, dude.  Ignore me.  A side note is important, too, but I won't bore you with it here.  An envy thing and it bothers me a bit.

I'm sorry.  

Peace and Go Bills!

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The Cincinnati Bengals are going to the Super Bowl.

Their QB, a guy I loved even going back to last season (and good for them) is in the second year of his rookie deal.  

Their 2022 cap space is about 56 million dollars, according to Spotrac.

The Bills are 1 year away from their QB's  (102 TDs in 2 years) deal kicking in.

Their 2022 cap space is 1.37 million dollars...over.

I love my team, but let's be clear...the window aperture is not holding.

This was the year.  If not then something special better happen in 2022.

EDIT: To be more clear with my comment on the QBs...Allen has given us the two greatest QB seasons in the more than 60 year history of the franchise (and the greatest QB playoff season ever), and it wasn't enough even to get us to the show.

...so what has to either give, or where do we go to get that extra horse power to get us there?  Especially with limited "petro" to get it done.

Do you know anything about Cincy? Ha. Mike Brown is going to do everything he can to mess this up. 

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The Cincinnati Bengals are going to the Super Bowl.

Their QB, a guy I loved even going back to last season (and good for them) is in the second year of his rookie deal.  

Their 2022 cap space is about 56 million dollars, according to Spotrac.

The Bills are 1 year away from their QB's  (102 TDs in 2 years) deal kicking in.

Their 2022 cap space is 1.37 million dollars...over.

I love my team, but let's be clear...the window aperture is not holding.

This was the year.  If not then something special better happen in 2022.

EDIT: To be more clear with my comment on the QBs...Allen has given us the two greatest QB seasons in the more than 60 year history of the franchise (and the greatest QB playoff season ever), and it wasn't enough even to get us to the show.

...so what has to either give, or where do we go to get that extra horse power to get us there?  Especially with limited "petro" to get it done.

We have a meeting between the Pegulas, Beane, McD, Frazier and the whole defense (perhaps) to come up with a plan to make our defense Super Bowl worthy. What do we lack? What do we have to do? Make a clear plan focused on not letting Josh Allen, the offense and people of Buffalo and all their fans down.

We need commitments.

We need promises of not becoming soft in any way. To go for it and coach and play to win.

Whether we have to push monies into 2023 or not. (I think we do to add a bonafide impact player for the front seven).

maybe we can get Ed and Tremaine to take another step?

We need Epenesa, Groot and a Basham to change their bodies to as strong as they can get and to practice, practice practice and study film for breakfast. Imho, all three have significant potential and we have to tap ASAP.

I  know Tre white is doing everything he can to get better and I feel certain he will be good as new by October....It might take him awhile to trust it but we're talking playoffs here. That's when we really need him. Although it would sure help to get Josh and the whole team the bye week. If the Bills get the Bye-week I say pencil us right into the big game. The schedule is crazy hard though....

On offense, I think we need a few players. We need another RB and we need some OL depth and to keep Bates.

Keep McKenzie and everybody else and we're good at receiver. If we can't keep everyone we have picks to spare for the offense...

We probably draft a defender in round one then go to offense with a OL and maybe a RB.... then WR, then we can go back to defense for the rest.... We certainly MUST do very well in the draft.

1- Keep team together.

2. sign a helper for the defense.

3. nail the draft.

4. Get Tre White back.

4. win Super Bowl.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

For those who didn't read past the headline -- Johnny Hammersticks, Bruffalo  -- I'll sum up my point:

With breaks in continuity, success can be fleeting -- enjoy it while it lasts. No, that's not a wisdom bomb, just a small thing to think about. I'll make sure to drop greater wisdom next time. 

Our coordinators are at the top of their game. I don't understand what magic knowledge people have by wanting them gone. There is a good chance this team could take a bit of time to adjust. Roethlisberger took two years to adjust to Haley, his new OC many years ago. I don't think that's an inane comment frankly. But what do I know. 

4 hours ago, Magox said:

The window will always remain in provided we have a healthy Josh Allen.  The question is how big is that window and that window for the next couple years is still pretty big.

Nice find. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bills window is Huge. people HUGE !

we have not yet begun to fight !

Go Bills

4 hours ago, Warcodered said:

but is the window clear or tinted?

yes

yes

yes

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.