(Edit) Loss of coordinators' effect on success next season

Just in Atlanta

Jan. 8, 2000 was the only time I broke something after a Bills loss: I threw my remote at the TV, shattering it into pieces. 

This loss, due to the improbability of it — it was called the Music City Miracle after all — was the worst by far for me. 

Here's the important thing: Accustomed to success, who of us thought it would be the last time we'd see our Bills in the post season for 20 years?

I KNEW we'd be back soon. But we lost Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas AND Bruce Smith at once. And Wade Phillips and his coaching staff were replaced by Mike Williams. Dark days, friends, dark days. 

Much to the happiness of so many posters, we lost our offensive coordinator, who architected video game like numbers last year and a surge back to life during the later half of this season. Much to the happiness of many posters, we're also (probably?) losing our defensive coordinator, who architected the best on paper defense this season. 

I personally don't understand how people know, just know, these coordinators are bad. My prediction is, the grass isn't greener and we were lucky to have these guys. I also believe our Super Bowl window was the most open this season. But those are only guesses. 

So, I'd recommend being grateful for what we had these past two years. I have no idea how our new OC will perform, what his philosophy is, and how we'd change under a new DC. In a game where inches and seconds count, even small changes can have big effects — positive and negative. 

(EDIT) I hope the new head is better for everyone. The point stands: I don't think the grass is greener with new coordinators. They were and are at the top of their game. (END EDIT)

Edited by Just in Atlanta
improved headline
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

The Cincinnati Bengals are going to the Super Bowl.

Their QB, a guy I loved even going back to last season (and good for them) is in the second year of his rookie deal.  

Their 2022 cap space is about 56 million dollars, according to Spotrac.

The Bills are 1 year away from their QB's  (102 TDs in 2 years) deal kicking in.

Their 2022 cap space is 1.37 million dollars...over.

I love my team, but let's be clear...the window aperture is not holding.

This was the year.  If not then something special better happen in 2022.

EDIT: To be more clear with my comment on the QBs...Allen has given us the two greatest QB seasons in the more than 60 year history of the franchise (and the greatest QB playoff season ever), and it wasn't enough even to get us to the show.

...so what has to either give, or where do we go to get that extra horse power to get us there?  Especially with limited "petro" to get it done.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Jan. 8, 2000 was the only time I broke something after a Bills loss: I threw my remote at the TV, shattering it into pieces. 

You're a novice. I once sheared all the knobs off my RCA black and white console TV with my foot after a Bills loss. There were no remotes. I had to turn the channel with pliers until I could afford a new TV.

And I walked 5 miles to school and back, uphill both ways....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You're a novice. I once sheared all the knobs off my RCA black and white console TV with my foot after a Bills loss. There were no remotes. I had to turn the channel with pliers until I could afford a new TV.

And I walked 5 miles to school and back, uphill both ways....

PLIERS? Growing up, my dad made me use my teeth. Boomers don't know how lucky they had it. 

• Haha (+1) 7

34 minutes ago, Just in Atlanta said:

This loss, due to the improbability of it — it was called the Music City Miracle after all — was the worst by far for me. 

Here's the important thing: Accustomed to success, who of us thought it would be the last time we'd see our Bills in the post season for 20 years?

I KNEW we'd be back soon. But we lost Andre Reed, Thurman Thomas AND Bruce Smith at once. And Wade Phillips and his coaching staff were replaced by Mike Williams. Dark days, friends, dark days. 

Much to the happiness of so many posters, we lost our offensive coordinator, who architected video game like numbers last year and a surge back to life during the later half of this season. Much to the happiness of many posters, we're also (probably?) losing our defensive coordinator, who architected the best on paper defense this season. 

I personally don't understand how people know, just know, these coordinators are bad. My prediction is, the grass isn't greener and we were lucky to have these guys. I also believe our Super Bowl window was the most open this season. But those are only guesses. 

So, I'd recommend being grateful for what we had these past two years. I have no idea how our new OC will perform, what his philosophy is, and how we'd change under a new DC. In a game where inches and seconds count, even small changes can have big effects — positive and negative. 

I read you first sentence.  Then I stopped ️ 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

The Cincinnati Bengals are going to the Super Bowl.

Their QB, a guy I loved even going back to last season (and good for them) is in the second year of his rookie deal.  

Their 2022 cap space is about 56 million dollars, according to Spotrac.

The Bills are 1 year away from their QB's  (102 TDs in 2 years) deal kicking in.

Their 2022 cap space is 1.37 million dollars...over.

I love my team, but let's be clear...the window aperture is not holding.

This was the year.  If not then something special better happen in 2022.

EDIT: To be more clear with my comment on the QBs...Allen has given us the two greatest QB seasons in the more than 60 year history of the franchise (and the greatest QB playoff season ever), and it wasn't enough even to get us to the show.

...so what has to either give, or where do we go to get that extra horse power to get us there?  Especially with limited "petro" to get it done.

damn...you are correct....no teams with their QB on the second contract ever get to the CG or super bowls....

How do people makes these statements when the history shows just the opposite...?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.