Maybe the Fix has been in.

Buffalo Boy

15 minutes ago, Greg S said:

You think the NFL would ever have a draft lottery for teams that miss the playoffs like the NHL does? 

i hope not....i don't like it.....the sabres got screwed ....losing out on conor mcdavid comes to mind

the advantages of true parity outweigh the disadvantages of trying to discourage tanking via a draft lottery

does a draft lottery really stop tanking ??...i say hell no....anyone so inclined can reason they still have a better chance at the top pick

would we want this years colts or chargers getting the #1 overall pick via lottery ??....i don't

19 minutes ago, major said:

For example, Hue Jackson just came out accusing browns owner of same thing and appears to have documentation of it. Some owners and a commish are about to go bye bye 

we shall see.....all the upper management got bonuses.......

hue says for intentionaly losing

owner says for doing a good job under extenuating circumstances

good luck proving hue's take

that would require a GM to commit professional suicide

all hue has are receipts he got a bonus....i doubt they say for losing

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, bobobonators said:

I dont understand how some people act like gambling on games never occurred before? Like Fanduel is somehow now to blame. Or Vegas hasnt existed for - basically - ever. Like the Romans werent gambling on gladiators. 

If someone is willing to take a $200k bribe to “throw a game” does anyone think that same person cares whether or not the NFL has finally partnered with Fanduel? That 200k bribe could have just as easily been offered and taken 60yrs, 70, 80 yrs ago bc we have this thing called..wait for it….wait for it…….. WAIT FOR IT:  MONEY. This thing we call money has existed since football was invented. Theres this other thing called briefcases where money can be placed. Another thing called telephones allow these conversations to occur. And so far ive only scratched the surface of this revolutionary 1950s/1960s era technology. Wait until we get into wire transfers. 

All kidding aside..
The legalization of sports gambling brings regulation and taxation into the fold. One can easily argue that this synergy, between the gambling industry, states legalizing it and the NFL only makes it HARDER for this kind of stuff to occur. 

People need to remind themselves of a couple of simple things when it comes to sports and gambling:

1. The opportunity to cheat will always be present

2. Betting will always occur, regardless of legality. 

Now i hope you can all sleep soundly at night without the tinfoil on your pillows. 

stop making sense.  People need their delusions clutched close to their pearls.

45 minutes ago, major said:

I don’t think Jerry would be a owner that would ever do that. But you look around the league and you can find some other owners that would purposely tank for draft picks. Heads are about to roll in the nfl 

owners can't "tank"

• Vomit 1

19 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Improper game specific scheming and intentionally poor play calling at critical moments would be the easiest ways to throw a game unless you include paying off a player to do so.  A critical INT, fumble, missed kick, blown coverage, etc. would do the trick in most games. 

kind of like… McDermott and Frazier in the last 13 seconds of regulation in the Divisional Round!

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

stop making sense.  People need their delusions clutched close to their pearls.

owners can't "tank"

Owners can certainly tank. They have the ability to take away your job (coaches, players) if you don’t play ball, so to speak 

19 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Improper game specific scheming and intentionally poor play calling at critical moments would be the easiest ways to throw a game unless you include paying off a player to do so.  A critical INT, fumble, missed kick, blown coverage, etc. would do the trick in most games. 

Why did "13 seconds" just pop into my mind?

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, major said:

Owners can certainly tank. They have the ability to take away your job (coaches, players) if you don’t play ball, so to speak 

Not only can owners tank, owners are the ones who initiate the tanking, obviously.

From them it goes to the GM, and usually STOPS THERE.

The GM builds a team and coach that, despite trying its best in competitive games, loses a lot.

That's how tanking has always worked, and it's what makes this situation with the Dolphins VERY different...

The moment you bring the coach into it, it's different.  You now have a team not trying its best to win games.

Whether he is offered money or not, to me, is immaterial.

As long as the coach is in on the fix or aware of the fix, you have a huge problem.

1 hour ago, major said:

For example, Hue Jackson just came out accusing browns owner of same thing and appears to have documentation of it. Some owners and a commish are about to go bye bye 

The franchise owners who make up the NFL will do whatever they have to, including selling their first born sons into slavery, to get the "integrity" of the game back again.

And yes, I would think that would mean a commissioner change (very possibly) and there is no way any owner involved in this sort of thing (effectively bribing his own coach to lose) is going to still own a franchise when the smoke clears.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, major said:

and then what?   Bad teams fires it's coaches all the time.  a better or worse coach takes his place.  

Although one can certainly make the argument that by  keeping Hue Jackson, Haslam was openly tanking every year for a while there.

• Disagree 1

46 minutes ago, major said:

Again, this is all coming down because Bill Belicheat doesn’t check his contact before texting. So fitting that shady B brings down the house because of technology 

Also fitting that a guy whose reputation is built around being the smartest guy in the room creates this controversy because he sent a text message to the wrong guy.

As though he's not quite sure how to work a cell phone.

• Agree 2

a slight stretch....but,couldn't an arguement be made that a draft lottery actually enables/encourages more teams to tank ?

normally only a couple teams are in the running for dead last....with a draft lottery 10-15 teams could improve their chances for a shot at #1

Tanking don't matter in the NFL if you don't get the right players... Browns taking and grabbing multiple bad QBs with the latest being Baker Mayfield.

Or doesn't work if you don't have the right front office people... Jags tanked for Trevor and had just as bad a season b.c of the HC.

On 2/2/2022 at 1:50 PM, Buffalo Boy said:

What would it look like if you were going to throw a game from a coaching perspective?

Run a bunch of low percentage plays and punt while shackling your best player(s)?  Make absolutely befuddling and egregious decisions that are completely indefensible?

Ha!  I get what you're insinuating but frankly, McDermott would be dead on a slab somewhere by now because his benefactor would be worried that McD made it too obvious the fix was in.  Ironically, the grosser the incompetence, the more likely it's just incompetence and not malfeasance because cheaters are mindful to "make it look good".  McD was too stupid to have been fixing.

• Agree 1

On 2/2/2022 at 3:07 PM, billsfan1959 said:

Shekels? So who are you saying is behind the conspiracy?

The Pentavirate, who run everything in the world including the newspapers, and meet tri-annually in a secret country mansion in Colorado known as The Meadows……The Queen, the Vatican, the Gettys, the Rothschilds...and Colonel Sanders before he went teets up!

Ooh I hated the Colonel, with his wee beady eyes and that smug look on his face! Ohh you're gonna buy my chicken! Ooh!

Edited by JDubya76

5 hours ago, harryS said:

Ha!  I get what you're insinuating but frankly, McDermott would be dead on a slab somewhere by now because his benefactor would be worried that McD made it too obvious the fix was in.  Ironically, the grosser the incompetence, the more likely it's just incompetence and not malfeasance because cheaters are mindful to "make it look good".  McD was too stupid to have been fixing.

I agree. I think it was just stupidity. However, that’s the problem when you allow doubt to creep in

Super Bowl 56 does seem scripted to me: Tinseltown’s team moves back. They need to win over the fickle fans. Their new stadium opens up. They make it back to the Super Bowl for the first year that their stadium hosts it. Their adversary is a young Cinderella upstart team whose quarterback is played by Macaulay Culkin. Yeah right. All of us pro football fans are living in some type of Truman Show.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.