Joe Brady for QB Coach? [Now Hired]

Rubes

This might be the most important under the radar coaching hire by the Bills in the last 20 years.

Joe Brady is a phenom when it comes to designing an elite passing attack. What he did in LSU in one season with a transfer QB and a couple of unknown WR's is the stuff of legend. LSU did not have a reputation of being a passing team. They were a play great defense and run the ball type of program. That Joe Brady was the sole architect of an LSU passing offense that was the greatest ever seen in college football history is beyond dispute.  Both the LSU head coach and offensive coordinator were novices when it came to implementing an NFL level passing game.  That's why they hired Brady.

Obviously going from Saints Offensive Quality Control coach to Passing game coordinator at LSU to offensive coordinator at Carolina in three years was a classic case of being promoted to fast.  Now we have a guy who was thrown under the bus by the Panthers getting a chance to take a step back and show the league what he can do.  We should all be very excited at what Dorsey, Brady and Allen will do together.  I suspect we're about to see history made.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

Except for LSU and Penn State and William and Mary.  Guy is 32 years old and has 2 years on NFL experience and suddenly isn’t “a college coach”.  

i get what you are saying - but a little stability for him would go a long way. Been successful everywhere (except Carolina) - but needs to stay put somewhere and build a resume. I think he would do just fine in college. 

Which 2 years of NFL experience are you talking about?    The 2 with the Saints or the 2 with the Panthers?   He was twice suddenly not a college coach and that's the way he wanted it because he doesn't want to recruit.

I have no idea if he needs stability.    I think he figures he probably needs to be a year removed from getting fired before he can secure an OC job in a situation where he is poised to succeed (and advance his likely goal of becoming a HC).    

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This might be the most important under the radar coaching hire by the Bills in the last 20 years.

Joe Brady is a phenom when it comes to designing an elite passing attack. What he did in LSU in one season with a transfer QB and a couple of unknown WR's is the stuff of legend. LSU did not have a reputation of being a passing team. They were a play great defense and run the ball type of program. That Joe Brady was the sole architect of an LSU passing offense that was the greatest ever seen in college football history is beyond dispute.  Both the LSU head coach and offensive coordinator were novices when it came to implementing an NFL level passing game.  That's why they hired Brady.

Obviously going from Saints Offensive Quality Control coach to Passing game coordinator at LSU to offensive coordinator at Carolina in three years was a classic case of being promoted to fast.  Now we have a guy who was thrown under the bus by the Panthers getting a chance to take a step back and show the league what he can do.  We should all be very excited at what Dorsey, Brady and Allen will do together.  I suspect we're about to see history made.

Sure, but what's the upside?

• Haha (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Sure, but what's the upside?

I suspect that as more Bills fans become aware of Brady's history and what he did at LSU they are going to get real excited about the possibilities here.  IMO this could be a perfect storm that results in a historically explosive NFL offense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Which 2 years of NFL experience are you talking about?    The 2 with the Saints or the 2 with the Panthers?   He was twice suddenly not a college coach and that's the way he wanted it because he doesn't want to recruit.

I have no idea if he needs stability.    I think he figures he probably needs to be a year removed from getting fired before he can secure an OC job in a situation where he is poised to succeed (and advance his likely goal of becoming a HC).    

It's easy to say today that Burrow, Chase and Jefferson were always great but the reality is that they were relative unknowns when Brady took the job as LSU's passing coordinator in 2019.  The LSU head coach and offensive coordinator suspected they had something special with these guys but didn't have the knowledge to create an offense they could flourish in.  Brady not only implemented an NFL stye passing game at LSU he called the pass plays on game day.  And that LSU team went to have the greatest passing attack in college football history with the QB and both WR's having great success in the NFL.

For me it's Brady's experience at LSU that is so exciting for what he might do in Buffalo with Allen.  Brady recognized that he had an NFL caliber QB and WR's and he designed an NFL passing attack to take advantage.  Go back and watch some of those LSU games in 2019, particularly the SEC championship game and the two playoff games to see how Brady coordinates a passing attack.

Not only will Diggs love what Brady brings to the table but Davis s going to really emerge as a threat in a Brady passing system.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I suspect that as more Bills fans become aware of Brady's history and what he did at LSU they are going to get real excited about the possibilities here.  IMO this could be a perfect storm that results in a historically explosive NFL offense.

This guy seems to agree with you...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The problem Brady is having getting what he wants is that everyone in college knows he wants to be in the pro's...........and doesn't want to recruit...........otherwise he would get a huge deal as a college OC.

Everyone in the pro's knows he sucked as an OC at Carolina.

So while it seems like a step back.......taking a QB coach job with a Bills team that.........if they play their personnel cards right this offseason.........could end up as one of the all-time scoring offenses in NFL history certainly makes sense.

Offensive goal for 2022......38 points per game. 

Yeah, hard to believe he couldn't get more out of Sam Darnold, Cam Newton, PJ Walker and Chubba Hubbard...

Anyway, I don't think Josh needs this guy at this point.  His QB Coach is now also his OC.  

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, hard to believe he couldn't get more out of Sam Darnold, Cam Newton, PJ Walker and Chubba Hubbard...

Anyway, I don't think Josh needs this guy at this point.  His QB Coach is now also his OC.  

They need a QB coach.  It's best to let Dorsey concentrate on being an OC only.

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The problem Brady is having getting what he wants is that everyone in college knows he wants to be in the pro's...........and doesn't want to recruit...........otherwise he would get a huge deal as a college OC.

Everyone in the pro's knows he sucked as an OC at Carolina.

So while it seems like a step back.......taking a QB coach job with a Bills team that.........if they play their personnel cards right this offseason.........could end up as one of the all-time scoring offenses in NFL history certainly makes sense.

Offensive goal for 2022......38 points per game. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Allen is very coachable and open to any ideas that improve his game.  Joe Brady is well known to the QB's & WR's of the NFL because of that amazing season at LSU. Allen will appreciate the insight Brady brings to the table and Brady will appreciate that he's lucked into coaching the NFL's most electrifying QB. There is ever reason to believe that these two will make magic together.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Now can we just get an old grizzly proven OL coach in the building please? That would be ideal. 

Like Carl Mauck?

😄

I love the hiring. Great credentials for the position... plus the William and Mary pedigree (Marv, McDermott, Tomlin) and the fact that he's from the Sean Payton coaching tree.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.