Daboll wasn’t happy with McDermott?

MWK

10 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

McD has the opportunity to talk to all of his coaches at halftime.  How in the world do you not try to come up with a way to put 7 points on the board.

He has his headset on and is constant communication with his coaches while on the sideline.  

If he can't make a game time strategy change he is over his head..... Which has happened to many times this year.

Same with Andy Reid. He should be in the Super Bowl. RUN THE BALL until they bring a safety up and play you fairly, THEN you can throw again. I’d have taken that 6 yards/carry they were averaging, but that does NOT make me qualified to to be an NFL coach. Should the Chiefs fire him? I bet the Eagles would LOVE to have him back! 

Relax in your armchair. It’s very hard to be perfect as an NFL coach, as evidenced by the fact that there has never been one. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

McD has the opportunity to talk to all of his coaches at halftime.  How in the world do you not try to come up with a way to put 7 points on the board.

He has his headset on and is constant communication with his coaches while on the sideline.  

If he can't make a game time strategy change he is over his head..... Which has happened to many times this year.

Agree. Daboll didn't make a successful game time strategy that game. And it did happen a few times...not just against Jacksonville. Good point.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

We were referencing the Jacksonville game. 

Yeah, the game that was 6-6 going into the 4th quarter. The offense turned the ball over and desperately needed the defense to make a play to keep the Jags out of FG range. The defense allowed the Jags to march to the 3 yard line and kick a chip shot. They were great that day. Until they weren't.

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Same with Andy Reid. He should be in the Super Bowl. RUN THE BALL until they bring a safety up and play you fairly, THEN you can throw again. I’d have taken that 6 yards/carry they were averaging, but that does NOT make me qualified to to be an NFL coach. Should the Chiefs fire him? I bet the Eagles would LOVE to have him back! 

Relax in your armchair. It’s very hard to be perfect as an NFL coach, as evidenced by the fact that there has never been one. 

Talk to Eagles fans about Reid and running the ball and blowing Championship games.

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Yeah, the game that was 6-6 going into the 4th quarter. The offense turned the ball over and desperately needed the defense to make a play to keep the Jags out of FG range. The defense allowed the Jags to march to the 3 yard line and kick a chip shot. They were great that day. Until they weren't.

Talk to Eagles fans about Reid and running the ball and blowing Championship games.

If that's the take away you had from that game....whoa Nelly.

Good Times Nelly GIF

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If they're asked about the lawsuit, or anything alleged in the lawsuit, their best comment is still "No Comment"

true.  I was responding to the subject re: their relationship.  That's not part of and lawsuit and they are free to comment as it would have no impact on pending litigation.

I think Daboll's nature is to be super aggressive and I think McD's nature is super conservative. I think the reason they worked together is that they balanced each other. I think the reason the Bills go Jauron ball in big games is because McD is Jauron and has taken more control of the offense in big games. I'm worried that with Daboll gone we have way way more Jauron ball ahead of us. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Let's just pray to God we don't start running the football now that Daboll is gone.

He may have been stuck in a power battle with McDermott all year long trying to pass as much as we did.

It makes sense in that in some games, it seemed like we were sticking in weird run plays where they didn't fit or otherwise match the game plan.  Like someone was telling him to do it.

Like the KC game where KC punted from their end zone and we received the ball around midfield and then proceeded to run 3 straight times and punt.  Not sure who’s decision that was but very weird.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'd just like to point out here that all year, Ken Dorsey had the title "passing game coordinator".  So maybe it's not a good thing he got promoted to OC.

Tasker said today he's had that title for 2 years - going in to the 2020 season.  

I think it's possible he's mistaken I hadn't heard that until the start of this season.  

The internet might be my friend I'll go look....

Yea per this it was going into this season:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/01/buffalo-bills-promote-ken-dorsey-offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll/

Edited by Big Blitz

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean how else do you describe a coach leading his team to the playoffs 4/5 years besides in over his head.

This is a far different team than the grind it out run heavy, field position battle, defensive struggle type team it was the first 3 years where highly conservative coaching is beneficial... the team had a -57 and -105 point differential the first two years, so that type of approach helped. 

the team the last 2 years makes the playoffs easily, but it's very different to coach being a high octane offense going toe to toe with the best of the best and being in high scoring battles where you need to maximize scoring opportunities with aggressive coaching rather than playing safe drag it out field position battles. Requires a much different approach and far different mindset. 

McD did an excellent job building culture and grinding out wins. The team was a no show vs the Jaguars, he made horrific mistakes imploding vs the Texans in the 2nd half... but we knew that 2019 wasn't ready yet so it was okay for McD to make fatal errors as it was part of his learning process as well...

Vs the Chiefs last year we had a shot at a SB, but that Chiefs team was better and Allen wasn't ready yet making some frantic mistakes under pressure.  With that said the game plan was horrendous and the staff made zero adjustments defensively getting destroyed by Hill and Kelce as they let them run free as the commentators were literally calling the coaching staff out all game.  To boot we were to conservative with our explosive offense... okay... another year of learning for McD maybe next year. 

Now again, with a super bowl caliber team and a QB playing at a historic level, he found a way to piss the game away in historic fashion, it really is unreal how mishandled it was... he also learned absolutely nothing defensively playing the Chiefs and made zero adjustments again and as defensive coach that's even more troubling....

So made next year he'll learn... or just maybe... he's over his head because his coaching style doesn't fit this type of team and he has shown time and time again he shoots us in the foot come playoff time. 

Overly conservative coaching doesn't win rings in today's NFL. He's a tractor trailer driver trying to drive an F1 race car.

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, pigpen65 said:

I think Daboll's nature is to be super aggressive and I think McD's nature is super conservative. I think the reason they worked together is that they balanced each other. I think the reason the Bills go Jauron ball in big games is because McD is Jauron and has taken more control of the offense in big games. I'm worried that with Daboll gone we have way way more Jauron ball ahead of us. 

This isn't right.  

Nothing about our 2019 offense said super aggressive.    

The progression of Josh and the offense from 2018 to 2021 was a clinic in "how to develop your QB 101."  

In 2018 they kind of let him do his thing.  Had to reign some in but later opened things up some because we weren't going anywhere anyway let's see what he can do - in those last 6 games in 2018 we did and we went 3-3. 

In 2019 we had a great defense and didn't need Josh throwing 40 times a game and we didn't.  The turnovers had to be reigned in some about 1/3 of the way thru the season.  Progression happened and we made the playoffs.  Would you say in 2019 we were very aggressive?  I wouldn't we did what we had to do to win games.  

In 2020, it was all systems go.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Peter said:

I suspect that there are a few other people who are not happy with McCoach . . . especially with how our season ended.

As I have said before, I do not think that he should be fired, but his seat is a little bit warmer and he will not be given the benefit of the doubt that he has had thus far.

It is going to be very interesting to see what happens with the Bills. Thus far, McD has been very fortunate with the strength of schedule and relatively few injuries and (most importantly) a GM who supports him.

His seat is room temp. 

If they don’t make an appearance in the SB next year? The seat gets hot - real hot. 

Times a-wastin’

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.