Daboll wasn’t happy with McDermott?

MWK

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You're talking about the edited title - the original misleading title was "McDermott is driving away coaches"

And Yes, you can make a strong case for the view that McDermott was not happy with Daboll at points during the season.

Since it's a lawsuit, what I hope we hear out of the mouths of both of them would be "I have no comment on that.  It's a legal matter."

No good ever came to anyone out of public comments on a lawsuit where they or one of their employees (at the time) is referenced.

Neither are party to the suit so they are free to comment on their relationship.

3 hours ago, jimmy10 said:

Three years if he’s lucky. My Giants fan buddies think that organization is so f’d up, he’ll be lucky to last two. 

Yeh, but with a good agent he can collect his 5-6 mil for 5 y ears.w total on the Giants contract.  Take a year or two off, or the rest of his life for that matter.

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean how else do you describe a coach leading his team to the playoffs 4/5 years besides in over his head.

Because Cincy just took 2 years and they are in the superbowl.  Read it any way you want to  4 years of playoff appearances  doesn't mean squat if you don't get to the big dance.

McD was over his head all year long and his winning performance against good teams this year was less than stellar.  Beating up on terrible teams and losing to good teams through out this years schedule.   Then there is this.....

Jacksonville loss proves he is over his head.  Are you telling me that there was no way to manufacture a touchdown in that game.  With the talent we have on the Off side of the ball.   Give me a break.  McD sucks.

McD is on borrowed time.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

And Daboll was less than mediocre in his 3 prior OC stints.  McD OTOH got the Bills to the playoffs his first season in Buffalo, despite getting rid of the more talented players and everyone thinking they were tanking.

And so what if Daboll had a problem with McD?  He's gone now.  Problem solved.

Agreed. I recall Daboll canceling a HC interview or two last offseason. His relationship with McDermott could not have been that bad. I also think a lot f people feel burnt and frustrated the way the season ended, not that we have seen it here at all! 😃

The source for this is an aside from Flores going nuclear today. Not sure how Buffalo got mixed up in this, but I don't put much into it. Oddly enough, I thought Flores could have had a shot to be a DC here if Frazier moves on or is replaced. That is a bridge that might be torched now.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Believe what you like my friend but the evidence is starting to pile up that McDermott is in over his head.

And this started long before he figured out how to single handedly blow the Chiefs game and blow one of the best shots this franchise had at a SB again since the 90's.

Right, that’s why Dorsey decided to stay instead of going with Daboll to NJ. To be honest I think Daboll was a problem. His game plans this year we’re very up and down and you could tell Josh was frustrated this year with the play calling. Daboll was probably pissed that McD was calling him out

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For a guy who wasn't interested, he sure put a lot of effort into it...this year he interviewed with the Bears, the Dolphins, and the Giants.
Last year he interviewed with the Jets, the Chargers, and reportedly turned down an interview with the Texans (as just about any sane human would do)

So if he prepped and went on multiple HC interviews last season but "wasn't as interested" that would be strange.

I think Daboll was really really interested in the Chargers HC job and in fact thought he had it at one point. 

If what Flores actually wants is to be a HC in the NFL, he just burnt his bridges pretty irreparably.

You have an interview scheduled, the hiring committee interviews Candidate A before you and is pretty durn sure Candidate A is their gal or guy....but your interview is set up so they go ahead and interview you.  You might knock their socks off and change their mind... or you might actually not have a legit shot at the job at that point...but it's pretty hard to prove either professional harm or bias at that point.  There's also the case where Candidate A decides against the job or accepts a different offer, so they re-set and revisit your application.

I've been on all sides of this, as the candidate or the interviewer.  But it's not exactly some sort of crime, and would be pretty hard to prove bias.

I think Daboll would have taken the right HC job last year, but I also think his preference was to make the right move at the right time.  There are some personal reasons that likely made this timing better for him.

I don’t think Flores gets far with his suit.  He won’t likely get another NFL HC shot anytime soon either.  He also burned Belichick so he can cross off Nick Saban’s fired NFL coach rehabilitation center in Alabama as an option too.

I get what you’re saying about taking the shot at the interview anyway - and doing that does keep you on teams’ radars.  It really couldn’t hurt.  What I honestly think is happening here is that he thinks he’s right.  That’s the only logical answer to why he’s burning so many bridges.  Anger at being fired then jerked around is the only other possibility IMO.  If that is it, then you’d think someone would’ve talked him out of the lawsuit. 

1 minute ago, Toyo321 said:

Because Cincy just took 2 years and they are in the superbowl.  Read it any way you want to  4 years of playoff appearances  doesn't mean squat if you don't get to the big dance.

McD was over his head all year long and his winning performance against good teams this year is less than stellar.  Beating up on terrible teams and losing to good teams through out this years schedule.   Then there is this.....

Jacksonville loss proves he is over his head.  Are you telling me that there was no way to manufacture a touchdown in that game.  With the talent on the Off side of the ball.   Give me a break.  McD sucks.

McD is on borrowed time.

BWAH ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

Oh, you are so precious. This is just sweet and cute.

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

McD was over his head all year long and his winning performance against good teams this year was less than stellar.  Beating up on terrible teams and losing to good teams through out this years schedule.   Then there is this.....

Jacksonville loss proves he is over his head.  Are you telling me that there was no way to manufacture a touchdown in that game.  With the talent we have on the Off side of the ball.   Give me a break.  McD sucks.

McD is on borrowed time.

Wouldn't that mean Daboll was in over his head? McD's defense actually played pretty solid.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

Daboll had an interview the other day on Good Morning Football. I heard the interview when it happened. I thought nothing of it. Some people here want to raise pitchforks and read into things.

Daboll was asked about Daniel Jones in comparison to Allen. In short it sounded like he wants to see what Jones has, that he has some similarities to Josh and that 'it took a village to improve Josh.' All of that is true.

Matt Barkley/ Jordan Palmer/ Ken Dorsey/ Brian Daboll and most importantly Josh Allen all helped Josh get to where he is.

I took it to mean Jones is raw and will need help from a number of people to tap his potential. Much ado about nothing, and people reading into things in a weird day and rough start to the offseason for the Bills and the NFL.

That "it takes a village" comment is one Daboll has made before. 

Basically talking about how a lot of people work with Josh behind the scenes including PR people and media coaches

On the other hand, it's a fair point that the person who probably had the most to do with Josh Allen's development - namely, Josh Allen - seems to get the least of the credit.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Wouldn't that mean Daboll was in over his head? McD's defense actually played pretty solid.

McD has the opportunity to talk to all of his coaches at halftime.  How in the world do you not try to come up with a way to put 7 points on the board.

He has his headset on and is constant communication with his coaches while on the sideline.  

If he can't make a game time strategy change he is over his head..... Which has happened to many times this year.

Edited by Toyo321
  • Vomit 2

3 hours ago, Logic said:

As soon as I saw this report about Daboll, I thought to myself “welp, TBD is going to handle this very well. Lots of calm and rational discussion”

Thread hasn’t disappointed so far. Shoutout to FilthyBeast, in particular. 😆

TSW's collective IQ goes down every year.   This thread alone should shave a point or two off the 2022 mean...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.