Daboll wasn’t happy with McDermott?

MWK

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We have no idea. 

If I were Schoen, and I wanted to be the GM and wanted to hire Brian Daboll, the LAST thing I would do would be to suggest to my new employers that maybe they could hire someone other than My Guy, and still recruit him as OC, so it doesn't seem likely to me.

Personally, I think all these HC and HC candidates have big egos.  They may pat dogs on the head and help little old ladies cross the street when outside the facility, but inside it they are determined that What They Want to Do is Correct. 

I think that McDermott probably generally tries to sit back and stay out of the offense and Let Daboll Cook, and to be "growth minded" and positive when he does weigh in, but I also expect that after the Jacksonville game, then after the Indy game, McDermott held a Come to Jesus meeting with Daboll about the state of the run game and it was blunt and ugly,  and neither of them were very happy with the other in the aftermath.

But in fact, the run game improved and it helped us finish the season strong and get to the Division round, which helped Daboll land a HC job.

So it's probably Yesterday's newspaper.

Look at the actual tweets that are quoted.  McDonnell (the NYG pro personnel guy) is quoted as saying "he HEARD" that Daboll wasn't happy and might leave even if not HC.

In other words, it's HEARSAY

You're right, I regret regurgitating that nastiness. 

10 minutes ago, Malazan said:

It's only fake news if it doesn't support the narrative I've made up in my head!

Fair point senor malazan. Peace brother ~m.

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

Fair point senor malazan. Peace brother ~m.

@malazan whut u laughin at me? lol

hahaha thats what I like to read..Im messin with u...m

• Like (+1) 1

Anybody ever get asked a preposterous question during a job interview?  Don't rule out the mention of Daboll's unhappiness just to gauge Flores' reaction.  Flores' answer to that question could provide a wealth of information, not just about Flores' character and views on offense etc... but also would be insightful to an exec considering offering the position to Daboll in the coming days.  Even if true, who knows what the nature of that question really was or if there was any validity to the hearsay.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I don’t think Daboll was as interested in a HC gig last year as he was this year.  He found a team with a GM he’s worked with before and with good ownership.  If the owners are patient with the rebuild, then he should do well with the Giants.

For a guy who wasn't interested, he sure put a lot of effort into it...this year he interviewed with the Bears, the Dolphins, and the Giants.
Last year he interviewed with the Jets, the Chargers, and reportedly turned down an interview with the Texans (as just about any sane human would do)

So if he prepped and went on multiple HC interviews last season but "wasn't as interested" that would be strange.

I think Daboll was really really interested in the Chargers HC job and in fact thought he had it at one point. 

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

As for the Flores lawsuit, it’s an unfortunate situation.  I understand what the Rooney Rule is trying to do - get minorities exposure and opportunities for higher level jobs in the NFL.  I don’t think that there was any intentional racial bias here.  The GM is hiring the guy he’s worked with before and thinks will be successful.  I’m sure if Daboll were a minority he’d still be the new HC of the NYG.  While the inner circle, boys club, who you know argument is still valid, I don’t know what you can do about situations like this.

If what Flores actually wants is to be a HC in the NFL, he just burnt his bridges pretty irreparably.

You have an interview scheduled, the hiring committee interviews Candidate A before you and is pretty durn sure Candidate A is their gal or guy....but your interview is set up so they go ahead and interview you.  You might knock their socks off and change their mind... or you might actually not have a legit shot at the job at that point...but it's pretty hard to prove either professional harm or bias at that point.  There's also the case where Candidate A decides against the job or accepts a different offer, so they re-set and revisit your application.

I've been on all sides of this, as the candidate or the interviewer.  But it's not exactly some sort of crime, and would be pretty hard to prove bias.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For a guy who wasn't interested, he sure put a lot of effort into it...this year he interviewed with the Bears, the Dolphins, and the Giants.
Last year he interviewed with the Jets, the Chargers, and reportedly turned down an interview with the Texans (as just about any sane human would do)

So if he prepped and went on multiple HC interviews last season but "wasn't as interested" that would be strange.

I think Daboll was really really interested in the Chargers HC job and in fact thought he had it at one point. 

If what Flores actually wants is to be a HC in the NFL, he just burnt his bridges pretty irreparably.

You have an interview scheduled, the hiring committee interviews Candidate A before you and is pretty durn sure Candidate A is their gal or guy....but your interview is set up so they go ahead and interview you.  You might knock their socks off and change their mind... or you might actually not have a legit shot at the job at that point...but it's pretty hard to prove either professional harm or bias at that point.  There's also the case where Candidate A decides against the job or accepts a different offer, so they re-set and revisit your application.

I've been on all sides of this, as the candidate or the interviewer.  But it's not exactly some sort of crime, and would be pretty hard to prove bias.

I mean how do you prove you were unfairly passed over when the guy they hired was one of the most popular picks to get hired.

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Believe what you like my friend but the evidence is starting to pile up that McDermott is in over his head.

And this started long before he figured out how to single handedly blow the Chiefs game and blow one of the best shots this franchise had at a SB again since the 90's.

Filthy, saying something (anything) nice about McD won’t ruin your posting credibility, I promise! :w00t:

23 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I would not be shocked by this. It was a weird year for Daboll. How good we were in the end causes some memory loss to most of the season. I think Daboll may have been butting heads with McD all year. 

I dunno about all year, but I expect there were some "growth minded" sessions with McD about the run game at the end of last season and after the Steelers game.

I expect that after the Jags game and the Colts game, the sessions became....louder.

image.thumb.png.16185f73f77fc0a611b16fc77d433dee.png

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The claim features Tim McDonnell, the Giants co-director of pro-personnel, texting "heard Daboll isn't happy with Sean in Buffalo...might be able to get out if he doesn't get a HC job...thoughts?"

So this is 1) hearsay - McDonnell "heard" 2) lacks context - who did McDonnell hear it from?  3) therefore is impossible to evaluate

The title of this thread is misleading, because it's a long jump from a hearsay claim in a lawsuit (where the coach in question in fact was not "driven away", but left to take a promotion to one of 32 HC jobs in the NFL)  to "McDermott is driving away coaches".

More so than misleading, I think the title is backwards.

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

More so than misleading, I think the title is backwards.

You're talking about the edited title - the original misleading title was "McDermott is driving away coaches"

And Yes, you can make a strong case for the view that McDermott was not happy with Daboll at points during the season.

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Crazy how anyone can believe anything out

if the mouth from Flores. Hope we here from Dabol and McDermott regarding this soon. 

Since it's a lawsuit, what I hope we hear out of the mouths of both of them would be "I have no comment on that.  It's a legal matter."

No good ever came to anyone out of public comments on a lawsuit where they or one of their employees (at the time) is referenced.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.