How Do you Feel about the State of The Buffalo Bills-just a little offseason discussion

1 minute ago, JMF2006 said:

Spiraling upward  out of control....fire everyone...playoffs in only 4 of 5 years?

#1 D really...... I know Wrex could make it better ;) 

We need more turmoil and controversy....things just aren't the same ;) 

J/K

Carry on McBeane we Billieve :)

Only when playing bad teams with bad quarterbacks.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JMF2006 said:

The Bills went toe to toe with all the heavy hitters Titans KC TB NE only one blow out and that team didn't even make the playoffs .....Indy

That is because of the offense. The defense got killed in those games. To their credit they played fairly well in the 2nd half against TB but otherwise they got destroyed.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Greg S said:

That is because of the offense. The defense got killed in those games. To their credit they played fairly well in the 2nd half against TB but otherwise they got destroyed.

They played as well as the other teams D they were all one score games except KC1 week 5 where we blew them out and dominated

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

But their defense struggled in all those games… outside of NE and rookie Mac Jones. 

Good point. I forgot to give them credit against NE in the 2nd game and playoff game. But overall the defense wasn't good against good teams.

Really good.

However, I'd feel better with the Bills moving on from their current DC. Perhaps it might not be the best move at the moment though. 

A lot of Bills fans are harping about that kickoff and the 13 seconds that followed. It's the Buffalo defense with the 13 seconds and not covering the two Chiefs only real threats in the passing game...and both caught passes. 

2 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Really good.

However, I'd feel better with the Bills moving on from their current DC. Perhaps it might not be the best move at the moment though. 

A lot of Bills fans are harping about that kickoff and the 13 seconds that followed. It's the Buffalo defense with the 13 seconds and not covering the two Chiefs only real threats in the passing game...and both caught passes. 

It's not just the 13 seconds. Its the Titans, Colts, Bucs, Chiefs. When they faced a good QB with a good offense they failed for the most part. It's a combination of coaching, scheme, players but they need to fix the D going into the 2022 season. 

• Like (+1) 1

We are one of the league's elite teams in every aspect. Any changes will be minor tweaks.

It appears that Beane has built the team for long term competitiveness as opposed a one shot, win now mentality.

Our draft reflects this approach. We took 2 DLs instead of picking up the likes of Geno Atkins and Carlos Dunlap. We registered 42 sacks on D this year or just under 2.5 per game. Not stellar but decent. 

Questions for 2022:

What can be learned from the Bengals ascent? What second half adjustments did they make to snuff out the Chiefs offense?

How many near misses will the Pegulas be willing to sit through before saying "Go All In"? 

What if Rousseau and Basham fail to pan out as pass rushers? 

As long as JA17 doesn't get hurt or has a major regression I think this team should be in the playoff mix for the foreseeable future.

However I would caution the fans that have a more rosy outlook on the near and long term future for several reasons:

1) It's still very possible that McDermott is not the long term answer here and blowing a road PO game is only going to add fuel to those flames all offseason and into the 2022 season. I think anything short of a SB appearance next year and there's a very chance he could be replaced.

2) The AFC is loaded, Mahomes already has 2 SB and a championship and Burrow at worse just got to a SB in his 2nd NFL season after missing half his rookie year to a serious injury. Plenty of other good young talent in the conference as well including Mac Jones, Herbert, Jackson, etc.

3) I still don't see this team taking the next step until wholesale changes are made on the defensive side of the ball and as of right now it appears it's going to be status quo in terms of coaching/scheme which means we'll likely just be relying on more draft picks to improve unless Beane swings a big time trade for a pass rusher.

The Bills need to add a veteran premier pass rusher via trade or FA, re-sign a few key guys and draft some speedy playmakers for the mega-franchise QB early in the draft. 

Then they are good to go, meaning, in the infamous words of Jake Taylor…….

” Win the whole f-n thing”

On 2/1/2022 at 4:08 PM, Special K said:

Burrow seems to be a cocky S.O.B. judging from some of the things he has said to the media in recent weeks.

He seems like a prime candidate to believe his off season hype and regress next year.....if he wins the SB this year, it might make the odds of regression higher, IMO.

I thought the same thing about Tom Brady 21 years ago....and look how that turned out.

I feel much better at this point than I did last year. We got our butts handed to us last year, had a bunch of FA's and what seemed to be a bunch of holes. I really think if we had Tre White we would have beat the Chiefs. Or maybe a better couple of defensive play calls at the end of regulation. 

Could we use improvement,  sure. But, OL came together. Sign Bates and We are pretty good in my opinion. Dawkins, Bates, Morse, Williams and Brown. Backups of Feliciano (G/C), Doyle (swing T) Ford (G) and draft a couple late or FA's. Draft a RB 4-5th rnd, WR and TE 2-3rd. CB 1st rnd. Keep Addison or Hughes for 1 more year, re-sign Obada or see if we can add Shaq on a team friendly deal. Re- sign Phillips.Add depth 6 and 7th rnd. Oh, and sign a new punter. 😉

Feel very similar to the superbowl years.    Offense can hang with anybody, 90 percent of the time.   The D, just not aggressive enough.   Call it mid season lack of physicality, call it coaching philosophy, but as a unit in big games, I feel way less confident in that group than I do the offense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.