Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

48 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Where did the Giants admit to it? 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/01/giants-brian-flores-was-a-serious-candidate-we-hired-the-coach-we-felt-was-most-qualified/

Flores contends that the interview was a sham, but the Giants responded by saying that Flores was a serious candidate for the job.

“We are pleased and confident with the process that resulted in the hiring of Brian Daboll,” the statement said. “We interviewed an impressive and diverse group of candidates. The fact of the matter is, Brian Flores was in the conversation to be our head coach until the eleventh hour. Ultimately, we hired the individual we felt was most qualified to be our next head coach.”

Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, Giants defensive coordinator Patrick Graham, Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and Bengals defensive coordinator Lou Anarumo also interviewed for the Giants before Daboll was hired. Frazier and Graham are Black and the NFL’s Rooney Rule requires teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for head coaching openings but Flores’ suit contends that they were not under real consideration for the job.

Unless we know exactly what Belichick heard and from whom, we really don't know that the Giants, in fact, made a hiring decision prior to Flores interview.

And if they did, they very likely won't admit to it.

On Pro Football Talk, Mike Florio claims that most owners (75%) already know who they want to hire next before they make their decision to fire the current coach.  That would make most interview processes an "equal opportunity sham": both the white and the minority candidates are working with a stacked deck where the winning card is already known.  I think this is still true in some cases (Raiders hiring Gruden; Jacksonville hiring Urban), but in others, the process is more open and a legitimate open search is conducted.  (I don't think the Pegulas knew they wanted to hire McDermott when they fired Ryan, for example).

My guess would be that Mara legitimately was very interested in hiring Flores, and had his FO people talking to Flores (for example, the Jan 11 text conversation where McDonnell supposedly said that Daboll might leave Buffalo for a lateral move).    But once they hired Joe Schoen as GM, he  may have stipulated for a strong voice or maybe the deciding voice in hiring the HC, and he had a different set of names that started with Brian Daboll, and included Leslie Frazier.  TBH, I think Schoen wanted an offensive guy, and Daboll was his top choice - and actually, the only offensive coach they interviewed.

If they'd already interviewed Frazier and Graham then they didn't have to interview Florez at all, maybe they wasted his time but it wouldn't really be because of the Rooney Rule.

Oh external never mind.

Edited by Warcodered

Last week the topic of why Flores still didn’t have a HC position came up with Peter King and Mike Florio.

Around the 5min10 mark it starts. 

‘’

For King the major sticking point was ‘the personality stuff’ such as  4 OC’s, 4 QB coaches and 4 OL coaches in 3 years. 

I think it was Doug Gottlieb who said “If you can’t get along with Chris Grier, you can’t get along with anybody.”

24 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Of course I mostly agree with you here. But..when you say "we" are aware of the situation already, who all is included in that collective? Because I've read posters in this thread who absolutely DO agree with it, and I've read those who do NOT. My point is that there is NOT yet a consensus that equitable representation and opportunity is a problem in the NFL.

I don't think there will ever be consensus on any issue, and it's pretty typical that the loudest voices are not necessarily the majority view.

That said when I say "we all know what's going on", I think that even people who don't believe that equitable NFL coach hiring is a problem, would, if questioned about some specific cases, admit that they recognize the coaching choice was pre-determined and any interview process of other candidates was a sham.

Jon Gruden being hired as the HC of the Raiders would be one example.

That's what I mean by saying "we already know it (sham interviews where the hire is known) is going on".

3 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

21 % of HC since the Rooney Rule began are have been minorities. So that’s interesting. 

I'm not doubting you, but that's a much higher figure than I've seen elsewhere - can you share your source?

And of course, right now there is only one (Tomlin) - and a couple of recently hired minority HC's were fired after 1 year, which many people regard as way too short of a time to have a fair chance at building a team and culture.

• Sad 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think there will ever be consensus on any issue, and it's pretty typical that the loudest voices are not necessarily the majority view.

That said when I say "we all know what's going on", I think that even people who don't believe that equitable NFL coach hiring is a problem, would, if questioned about some specific cases, admit that they recognize the coaching choice was pre-determined and any interview process of other candidates was a sham.

Jon Gruden being hired as the HC of the Raiders would be one example.

That's what I mean by saying "we already know it (sham interviews where the hire is known) is going on".

Okay, the agreement "we" have is that the Rooney Rule forces "sham" or "token" interviews, rather than the lack of representation is a serious problem requiring solutions. I don't disagree with that assessment of general fan sentiment. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

How does a coach tank?

Prepare poorly? The players would have to be in on it you'd think. 

The most obvious way would've been to start Josh Rosen the entire season in 2019.  Flores didn't do that though and inserted Fitzpatrick after Rosen struggled.

37 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Okay, the agreement "we" have is that the Rooney Rule forces "sham" or "token" interviews, rather than the lack of representation is a serious problem requiring solutions. I don't disagree with that assessment of general fan sentiment. 

It does in some instances but I'm sure there have been black coaches who wowed in interviews and got a job who wouldn't have gotten the interview without the Rooney rule in place.  I think something like the Rooney rule is needed as this idea that a private business hiring practices will overcome racial or other biases and naturally go to some sort of meritocracy utopia is naive.  They'll continue to tweak it as it's not going away.

This does point out the silliness of the Rooney Rule as it currently stands.  Teams know whom they want to hire, yet they're required to waste the time and effort of several other people to pretend anyone else has a shot.

Overall, the black HCs have done about as well as the white HCs.  Tomlin is an excellent HC.  Caldwell had great success.  Flores himself did a great job pulling the Dolphins up from being terrible to being not that bad -- although he didn't seem to be getting anywhere moving beyond that level.  But there have been so few black HCs that the sample size isn't representative of their skill.

The rule about how if you have a minority coach on your staff and you lose him to another team, then you get extra draft picks -- now THAT'S something that should help get more black coaches into the game.  And yet it still doesn't seem to be working.  

the NFL will circle the wagons and Flores will get Kaepernicked. No one tells billionaires what to do. 

The Rooney rule all but assures that teams will interview candidates they don't intend to hire. 

Flores would have been a very bankable HC candidate for the remaining openings. Do you think Arians will stick around now that Brady is gone? 

This lawsuit just reinforces his reputation as a hot head who can't work with people. Were the Broncos racist when they hired Vance Joseph?  

23 minutes ago, stuvian said:

the NFL will circle the wagons and Flores will get Kaepernicked. No one tells billionaires what to do. 

The Rooney rule all but assures that teams will interview candidates they don't intend to hire. 

Flores would have been a very bankable HC candidate for the remaining openings. Do you think Arians will stick around now that Brady is gone? 

This lawsuit just reinforces his reputation as a hot head who can't work with people. Were the Broncos racist when they hired Vance Joseph?  

Good point! I think the man just Kaepernick'd himself...

He will never have another NFL HCing job again. Shame too, because he was a pretty good NFL HC taking that Dolphins team to a 10-6 record. Sweeping the Patriots is never easy.

Why hasn't any former players filed a class action suit against the NFL and NBA? These leagues need more diversity and representation among players. If I was cut by either league I would definitely sue. Once you get to a certain level of athletics it's all pretty shady how certain players make it and others don't when you are all so closely talented and a lot of times it's based on how well the scouts think you will continue to develop and not about how good you are currently. Doesn't seem fair. Clearly there is a bias towards certain demographics of players for whatever reason, one of which is perceived athleticism.

• Dislike 1

I think we can all agree that Flores has committed career suicide as it pertains to the NFL.

What drove him to it?  And why now?  I wonder if in interviews he was asked the tough questions about inability to work with others?  Does the Rooney Rule have more to do with his actions, even more than he has let on?  Did Ross get in the ears of other owners?  Whatever the reason, he decided that doing this now was more important to him than ever coaching in the NFL again.  I do applaud his convictions and standing up for what he believes.

The ramifications of this bombshell lawsuit won’t go away anytime soon.

1.  Ross and his ownership.  NFL will certainly look into the allegations of tank for pay.  If Ross did make that offer, what other shady things has he done?  You don’t wake up one morning and suddenly change your morale compass and offer the HC of your team 100 grand per loss unless you are a dirtbag to begin with.  At the very least there will be monetary and possibly draft pick fines.  In the end,  I don’t know how Ross survives this.

2.  Rooney Rule.  On the face of it, seemed like a good way to get minorities a foot in the door where they may not have had a chance previously.  In practice, it probably did not fully do what was intended.  Yes, it’s great to get your name bandied around as a HC or coordinator candidate.  It may help you later.  Problem is, most coaching replacements are picked even before the old coach is fired.  That doesn’t mean the Rooney interviews are shams per se, but are likely not going to lead to HC jobs.  

There needs to be a deep cultural change regarding racism before something like the Rooney Rule will have its intended effect.  I guess if there were less racism, we wouldn’t need rules like that.

4 hours ago, FireChans said:

Flores wasn't good as a head coach. And he hated his black QB. His owner chose the black QB over the black coach.

Flores is not going to win. He is torpedoing his career for nothing. A former Bills AGM wanted to hire a former Bills OC with an impressive resume because he had worked with him. That former Bills AGM did his due diligence in interviewing other candidates because that's what a good manager would do. But he wanted Daboll and he hired him. 

The rest is just smear and hearsay.

fired after 10-6 and 9-8 records....

When Flores got those texts from Belichick, he shouldn't have revealed who he was.  He should have gotten additional details from BB on who specifically gave him that info and what was said, to secure evidence.  Then send it to the league like "woops, looks like the Giants hired their new HC without satisfying the Rooney Rule first".

Might be possible the league demands BB's cell to get his call/text records to investigate the claims.  See if another phone gets destroyed like Brady.

*edit*

I also wouldn't put it past BB to have leaked that info on purpose in some kind of 4D chess move lol.

Edited by 1ManRaid

I want to clarify that I know this topic has many avenues and lanes to travel down and I am not interested in going in any of those directions because I feel neutral in most of those topics slightly agreeing and disagreeing with everything. 

Although one big issue I have with the situation specifically is that this guy was indeed hired as a minority head coach and served as a head coach for an NFL team and is a shining example of the fact it can and does happen so I don't feel sorry for him honestly in some respects. He was the thing he is complaining about not being given a fair chance to be so it's case closed for me. 

Although if he does have evidence of some claims he made about Miami I think it's a good thing to expose that.

If he does have specific evidence that he wasn't hired by an NFL team specifically because of his race such as a witness or text message I will respect that for sure but just because you got passed over doesn't mean it was racially motivated. 

I am in no way saying there isn't a problem to be debated about around hiring head coaches, I am just saying I don't think it was a problem for this guy and isn't a problem now unless he has something concrete to show that he hasn't yet. 

Edited by Lfod

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.