Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

30 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Yeah I was under the understanding that Arizona wanted Josh Allen too, but couldn't get ahead of the Bills.

Although if Allen was their guy, why would they then trade up for Rosen? Was that to get ahead of Miami who may have wanted him? Definitely a head scratcher. 

Allen might have been their guy but they still needed a QB and Rosen was considered the most pro ready one.  And yes I think they did do it to get ahead of Miami.

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty stupid to not even pretend to consider every candidate, given the landscape in the NFL and the hyper focus on race in HC openings.

And they go and tell Mularkey that he is chosen before you even interview anyone? I don't think that is racist, but it sure is idiotic. Even if you have a favorite candidate in mind, keep that to yourself until you go through the process.

On 2/9/2022 at 12:51 AM, reddogblitz said:

My own conspiracy theory based on being in the same division with Bill, is it was no mistake.  He wanted to make sure Coach Daboll didn't end up in the AFC East.  Since Coach Flores worked for him 9 years, he knew how to piss him off.  NFC East is a much better place for Coach Daboll.

Oh, that's a good theory.

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

Pretty stupid to not even pretend to consider every candidate, given the landscape in the NFL and the hyper focus on race in HC openings.

And they go and tell Mularkey that he is chosen before you even interview anyone? I don't think that is racist, but it sure is idiotic. Even if you have a favorite candidate in mind, keep that to yourself until you go through the process.

Here's a different point of view.  You have an internal candidate who is already familiar with the job, the players & the organization.  Why go outside the organization & start all over again when you feel you have the right person already in the job?  I've seen a lot of people promoted from within during my career.  Most of the time they knew they were the only serious candidate and only the interviewees who knew nothing about the job weren't aware that the chosen candidate was getting the job in spite of other interviews to meet certain hiring requirements.  All the interviewees other than the chosen one participated in sham interviews. 

Another reason is you don't want your chosen candidate taking another job due to uncertainty.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

47 minutes ago, MJS said:

He was the interim head coach. Also its up to the candidate to win the interview. Because Mularkey was told he was going to get the job does not mean that during Horton's 4 hour interview he couldn't have convinced them that he was the better candidate.

I've been told before I am a favorite for a position and even had insider preference to choose me, but I lost out because someone else convinced them they were the better fit.

I find it hard to believe a court will somehow say that Mularkey on the podcast is evidence that the Titan's management's mind could not have been changed had Horton had an incredible interview.

Edited by What a Tuel

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

A couple things come to mind after a quick Wikipedia check. First, he didn’t mention that he was the interim coach at the time. This probably doesn’t change the rules, but he conveniently leaves that out. There also just may be another version of that story.

He acts like he wants to take the high road and smell like a rose, but he was pretty quick there to throw the owners under the bus and expose them. Maybe the fact that they let him go following the 2016 season influenced his outing of them? . “Malarkey and the Titans agreed to part ways” according to Wiki, but it sounds like at least one party is still harboring some resentment. 

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Here's a different point of view.  You have an internal candidate who is already familiar with the job, the players & the organization.  Why go outside the organization & start all over again when you feel you have the right person already in the job?  I've seen a lot of people promoted from within during my career.  Most of the time they knew they were the only serious candidate and only the interviewees who knew nothing about the job weren't aware that the chosen candidate was getting the job in spite of other interviews to meet certain hiring requirements.  All the interviewees other than the chosen one participated in sham interviews. 

Another reason is you don't want your chosen candidate taking another job due to uncertainty.  

Because the NFL instituted the Rooney Rule and there is a hyper focus on race and fairness with HC openings. That's why the smart thing to do is to at least appear to go through the process and consider each candidate.

44 minutes ago, MJS said:

Because the NFL instituted the Rooney Rule and there is a hyper focus on race and fairness with HC openings. That's why the smart thing to do is to at least appear to go through the process and consider each candidate.

No not each candidate - just those protected by Rooney Rule.

Tampa Bay to lure Teflon T*m back signed DC as HC but did not need to interview other candidates.

39 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

No not each candidate - just those protected by Rooney Rule.

Tampa Bay to lure Teflon T*m back signed DC as HC but did not need to interview other candidates.

True but the point of the Rooney rule is you must give an interview and real consideration to a minority candidate, so they did not break the rule. I might think the rule is dumb if an organization has a man selected before the search starts but the 32 owners made it happen so live by it.

I don't understand what teams are supposed to do here.

They have insider knowledge on a candidate they know they want. Their options:

1) conduct a sham interview

2) don't conduct sham interview

One breaks the rules, the other doesn't. You're "racist" either way. Seems very thought police-y.

• Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.