Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

46 minutes ago, papazoid said:

wait....isn't calling past employers to check on references normal ?

why would it be unusual for someone in the giants organization to call BB and/or kraft

The best thing to do was to be quiet after the lawsuit. Don't put personal opinions out there until the lawsuit is settled.

My guess is he was never serious about continuing the suit, he just wanted to make a point. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Hopefully he stays the course and helps change the views of owners in the NFL.

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have no idea what "that parlance" means in this context.

Let's start here, and maybe we can at least see where we disagree.

1)  57.5% of NFL players are African American, 9.4% identify as "two or more races, and 24.9% identify as white  (source: Statista)

2) According to this source, 35-40% of assistant coaches are black

3) Last year, only 3/32 head coaches were black (9%) and now 1/32 (3%)

So of the relevant population - those who know the most about playing and coaching American football - more than half of the players are black, more than 1/3 of the overall coaching population is black, but 3-9% of the top level HC are black.

I don't think you have to be a stats genius to realize that something non-random, something systematic, is probably at work there.

But what?  Is it that owners are sitting around saying "we don't want to hire black guys"?

I personally and strongly doubt that.  I could be wrong, but I think the overwhelming majority of folks aren't prejudiced in their thinking, and that would include NFL owners and execs (some are - we've seen some flashes of it here in these threads).  I think if you hooked them up to a lie detector test and asked them "do you believe a black coach can have all the qualities needed to coach an NFL team to a Superbowl win?" they would say "yes" and the needle wouldn't waver.  (Maybe 1 or 2 would).

The challenge is that unlike the athletic qualities and demonstrated in-game abilities that showcase a player's talent, the qualities that make a winning HC are a lot more subjective, and harder to measure.  A partial list could be made - inspires people to follow him, able to hold people accountable, very well organized, great football mind, able to lead and coordinate the activities of a group of people, great communicator, able to work well with peers (like the GM and FO), etcetera.  How important each of those qualities are, and how well a specific individual exemplifies them would probably be seen as variable. 

So it becomes a subjective process, and to some extent governed by "gut feeling" - Russ Brandon/Doug Whaley's "you'll just KNOW" advice to the Pegulas - rather than measurables.  The GM wants a guy he feels comfortable with.  The Owner doesn't want to look like a fool, so he doesn't want to hire someone who will crash-n-burn (unless he wants the team to tank).

So then you ask, who are these people who elicit the feeling of "he's right, I just KNOW" or "I can really work with this guy" (from the GM) or "I'm confident this won't be a mistake" (from the owner)?  They are typically going to be either people who have been head coaches with some success - the "coaching carousel" that gives fired head coaches like Gase or Rivera a fast track to a second chance - or people who have connections with and "click" with the hiring team so that they feel comfortable.

And who are those people?  Typically, they're people who we "click" with, or feel akin to - because they are "like us" in some way.

It's not that the hiring team is consciously prejudiced.  It's that when you have a subjective process, your unconscious beliefs and assumptions become part of the process - get "baked in".

OK, that's my best effort to reprise.  Not saying the owners are racists or making consciously racist decisions.  Saying that the results indicate some form of biased decision making is almost certainly at work.  Using my own experience as a hiring manager/interviewer and a bystander to higher-level decisions to give understanding of how bias gets into decisions without conscious intent.

I should say the common parlance of our times, being systemic racism.

Your explanation is fair and as objective as it can be given that a lot of what you’re talking about is subjective. The fact that you’re investigating and really thinning trough it rather than just jumping to a conclusion should be commended (not that you need my affirmation). All too often people seem to jump to conclusion and want tk immediately say racism or systemic racism as a lazy way out without investigating what’s actually happening. This causes policies like “disparate impact” policies in work places simply because there is an inequality, even if it wasn’t racist to be used to sue an employer because of the way things shook out from that policy (My hr background talking here). Basically they say the system is racist and that’s what’s happening rather than looking at root causes and making sure. 

It is in fact human nature to be around people that make you feel comfortable and I think you’re right that it’s not that they’re racist, just that they want someone first who can get the job done and most qualified and then that will mesh with the organization the best. As long as you’re basing that on individual personality, that is all above the line. I would contend it is about personality, but if it were to be found racism was a big part the process (would have to be clear, which I don’t think this is nearly clear) then of course throw everything at them as harshly as possible. 

I actually think you and I are very close if not spot on in our thinking. How do you flesh out the thoughts a person has and keeps hidden though? I hope we never get that answer because that would be a truly dystopian world, think Minority Report. Racism is a consideration but only one of many different reasons why, not the forefront of every reason. 

Not for nothing, Ross is still listed as being on the Board of RISE:

https://risetowin.org/who-we-are/index.html#board-of-directors

Of all the people to go after, Ross has spent years championing diversity efforts in sports and was owner of the only NFL team with a Black GM, coach and QB during the last few years (ever?)…

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How dumb is Hue Jackson?   On the radio yesterday saying Haslam deposited $750K in his bank account, but he didn't tank.

Flores's people running away from Hue right now.

Was the follow up question, "so you went 1-31, while TRYING to win?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

on ESPN Get Up,  they are debating whether Flores will still get a head coaching job in the NFL, maybe even this cycle.  Um, I don't think so.  You can't blame the Texans, Saints, Jags, etc...  Why would they want to bring this drama into their organizations?

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The best thing to do was to be quiet after the lawsuit. Don't put personal opinions out there until the lawsuit is settled.

My guess is he was never serious about continuing the suit, he just wanted to make a point. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Hopefully he stays the course and helps change the views of owners in the NFL.

He potentially destroyed his career to make a point? Very Captain Ahab.

4 hours ago, Billznut said:

With the way Flores threw Belichick under the bus in the last day or so with his additional comments, I’d be highly shocked if Flores is ever near Belichick or Patriotsland again. 

I just saw this headline on yahoo

As Brian Flores speaks, the deeper he draws Bill Belichick into his class-action lawsuit against the NFL

Charles Robinson

·NFL columnist

Thu, February 3, 2022, 9:08 PM·5 min read

the html link wont post to click article not sure why-m

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’d say Flores has no case at all. 

You may be right...I’m just waiting see if anything else comes out of the Dolphins situation, to be sure...that seems like a story that has many layers...

That being said, I’m still not sure anything can be done legally...it seems more of an internal affairs type of situation imo...

Edited by JaCrispy

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Not for nothing, Ross is still listed as being on the Board of RISE:

https://risetowin.org/who-we-are/index.html#board-of-directors

Of all the people to go after, Ross has spent years championing diversity efforts in sports and was owner of the only NFL team with a Black GM, coach and QB during the last few years (ever?)…

To be honest, there wasn't one claim made in the complaint alleging racism on the part of the Ross or the Dolphins. The only thing that even remotely addresses it is the following:

"From that point forward, Mr. Flores was ostracized and ultimately he was fired. He was subsequently defamed throughout the media and the League as he was labeled by the Dolphins brass as someone who was difficult to work with. This is reflective of an all too familiar “angry black man” stigma that is often casted upon Black men who are strong in their morals and convictions while white men are coined as passionate for those very same attributes."

It is also interesting that most of the talk after Flores was fired, regarding conflict within the organization, revolved around his poor relationship and conflicts with Chris Grier, who is black. There were numerous reports that Flores went to Ross to try to erode Grier's decision making powers.

The more I read and hear about Flores leads me to believe he is not the man of "strong morals and convictions" he and his legal team are trying to portray. He rose through the ranks and achieved all he wanted to achieve in becoming a head coach - and held that position for 3 years -  and, by his own behavior, demonstrated he would have willingly accepted the head coaching job with the Giants and never said a word about the issues that violated his "strong morals and convictions." I have no doubt he was pissed about not getting the Giant's job and the way he perceives the process transpired. There just is no evidence in the complaint that anything that happened to him was the result of racism. His actions appear, to me, to be more personally vindictive than anything to achieve a "greater good."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

You may be right...I’m just waiting see if anything else comes out of the Dolphins situation, to be sure...that seems like a story that has many layers...

That being said, I’m still not sure anything can be done legally...it seems more of an internal affairs type of situation imo...

You’re right, I forgot about the whole paying him to lose thing. Not sure how I could forget that. 

9 hours ago, FarrellsFinest said:

Apparently the bills knew it too according to the text. At the end of the day there is no fixing it. You have the right to hire whoever you want. Reguardless of qualifacation. There needs to be more black owners. When jayz was trying to become a owner people called him a sellout!? So it is what it is. 

Where specifically?  But even if they did, it doesn't mean much for them.  It's not them breaking the rule.

8 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.20d94ff052f31e3cde5d4c77e9066e42.jpeg

So in English he doesn’t have proof, wow if this is all Flores has then he’s screwed. 

Depends on the credibility of his witnesses.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.