Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

11 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Will the Patriots and Belliacheat come under investigation for tampering?

Tweeting about a hire before it even happened and all of the interviews had not been completed is tampering.

He is not a member of the media he is on one of the 32 competing clubs

"Hah!  I AM the media!"

image.thumb.jpeg.fb045b28b87e853f9d288e6d15364b2f.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

I've only read a few pages each of the last couple of days, so likely will repeat what many others have said (but that won't stop me).

First, so far as some who say this is evidence the Rooney Rule is a sham, I completely disagree. Are there (likely many) times where it's a check the box interview, of course. That's what happens when there are rules like this. Many companies have at least unwritten rules that you should interview internal candidates if they meet the minimum requirements for a job, even if you know them and know you don't want to hire them. I've been on both sides of that before. Once where the hiring manager actually sent an email that "Steve X" (outside candidate) accepted the job and he's excited to add Steve to the team. I assume I wasn't supposed to see that email (it wasn't an org announcement) a day or two before my interview. Although I was p'ed off about it, I didn't let on, gave the best interview I could, and I know I impressed. I heard back later that the hiring manager felt he made a mistake. Under a year later, when Steve was let go, If I hadn't have left the company a month earlier I think I likely would have gotten the job. So, my point is, having these interviews gives you exposure and practice. You may or may not feel you need either, but I think it generally helps. I've interviewed people when, in my mind I knew who I wanted to hire, and have changed my mind or have at least kept them in mind for future positions.

Of course people like to hire those they are familiar with. Joe Shoen knows Daboll and has observed his work first hand. If Shoen is a successful GM, he may have future needs to hire a HC. Others on the Giants that may have been part of the interview process may go elsewhere to be a GM and will remember those they have met and interviewed. I suspect that the interviews done for the Bills OC were also a sham. Their first choice was Dorsey and it's unlikely any interview would have changed that. But, what if Dorsey turned down the Bills and went to the Giants? What if he leaves next year? Then those other interviews will have been useful.

Regarding the being paid to tank allegation, that should rock the NFL. It was obvious by the moves the GM made that they were tanking, but the coaches and players left on the team clearly weren't. To now state that Flores was ordered to do so is a huge issue especially with legal gambling. I never would have thought about this a week ago (and still don't believe it to be the case), but if the Bills needed to throw the game against the Chiefs with having the fewest people involved, how best to do that? How about the coach ordering the worst possible kickoff (other than kick it out of bounds which would have involved Bass being involved as well) and then the worst possible defensive lineup? Just looks like a coach choking, no player involvement, they all were trying just had a horrible play call.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Governor said:

I never said that I thought the fix was in. You did. You claimed that Daboll had the job on day 1.

When you can't remember what you've actually said, it's time to slow down and review:

Direct quote: "He looks like an entitled guy that didn’t tip his friend off that the fix was in "

Nope, I didn't say that.   You think I did, prove it.

I think he was the guy Schoen wanted as soon as Schoen was hired, but he still had to interview and persuade the rest of the Giants decisionmakers - unless we think Schoen has unlateral hiring and firing power for the HC now, which is a position you've argued against.

9 hours ago, Governor said:

I said that it was “Flores’ job to lose” which he apparently did in the 11th hour, if you accept the Giant’s response to the accusations.

Again, you can't have it both ways; if you accept the Giants explanation that it "went down to the 11th hour", and was Flores job to lose all along, then Schoen did nothing to "look bad" and Daboll is not a "douche" - both things you have said.  Since you seem to have trouble remembering what you've said, let me help you:

In that case, Billy B's text messages are nothing but gossip and Flores lawsuit about a "sham" interview is frivolous.

Which is it? 

I got to say, I thought you were just a politically-minded rabble rouser with Bad Football Takes, but you're displaying some of the hallmarks of the troll here.

And your Avatar seems Perfect for you

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

To the people who question Flores’ credibility or lack of integrity for not coming forward about the bribe to suck when it happened—it seems apparent that at least 2 and potentially many franchises suck on purpose to get better draft picks. 

In the state of New York only a public servant can offer or receie a "bribe."  Also, one must distinguish between bribes and unlawful graities. An easy rule of thumb would be: bribe = Bad act. Illegal gratuity = Good act. For instance, a police officer arrests a man who is robbing and beating an elderly mother. Her son is happy so he gives the police officer (public official) a 200  dollar gift card to Morton's Steak House. This would be an illegal gratuity. Another person gives a police officer 500 dollars not to arrest him for heroin sales. That is a bribe. Now, can one legally offer a receptionist at a doctor's office (non public servant) a 20 dollar tip for a quicker appointment? Yes, absolutely.

I don't know the law in Florida (assuming this is where the alleged offer took place)  but I have to believe that Ross's alleged offer was not a crime for the reason stated above.  This doesn't in ANY WAY stop the NFL from having a policy which forbids acts like the one alleged. I was was the commissioner I would be very angry that Flores came in 3 years after the fact with this charge (which Ross now denies), and because of what appears to be anger and retribution seeking.  Is there an NFL bylaw somewhere demanding  that coaches come forward in situations like these? I have no idea, but Ross doesn't look so good right now, and neither does Flores. 

Of course, this is jmo.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

In the state of New York only a public servant can offer or receie a "bribe."  Also, one must distinguish between bribes and unlawful graities. An easy rule of thumb would be: bribe = Bad act. Illegal gratuity = Good act. For instance, a police officer arrests a man who is robbing and beating an elderly mother. Her son is happy so he gives the police officer (public official) a 200  dollar gift card to Morton's Steak House. This would be an illegal gratuity. Another person gives a police officer 500 dollars not to arrest him for heroin sales. That is a bribe. Now, can one legally offer a receptionist at a doctor's office (non public servant) a 20 dollar tip for a quicker appointment? Yes, absolutely.

I don't know the law in Florida (assuming this is where the alleged offer took place)  but I have to believe that Ross's alleged offer was not a crime for the reason stated above.  This doesn't in ANY WAY stop the NFL from having a policy which forbids acts like the one alleged. I was was the commissioner I would be very angry that Flores came in 3 years after the fact with this charge (which Ross now denies), and because of what appears to be anger and retribution seeking.  Is there an NFL bylaw somewhere demanding  that coaches come forward in situations like these? I have no idea, but Ross doesn't look so good right now, and neither does Flores. 

Of course, this is jmo.

Plus, at least with Miami it never actually happened.

To use your police officer analogy, the officer says "that's very kind of you but I cannot accept that gift card legally" and that's the end of it. No crime actually was committed.

Now Jackson is claiming he actually went along with it in Cleveland, making him just as guilty if that's what went down.

22 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Of course, this is jmo.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/02/stephen-ross-jimmy-haslam-could-be-prosecuted-for-violating-the-sports-bribery-act/

The Sports Bribery Act criminalizes such conduct. Under 18 U.S.C. § 224, “Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commence to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge of the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contests, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.”

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

To use your police officer analogy, the officer says "that's very kind of you but I cannot accept that gift card legally" and that's the end of it. No crime actually was committed.

Actually, a cop could get in trouble for not reporting it. You are supposed to make arrests for "Attempted Bribery."  It is not beneath Internal Affairs to run tests for this in NYC.  They will even have men and women in plain clothes hand you a wallet with zero ID and 100 bucks or so in it to see what you do. They come out to Madison Square Garden and tell a uniformed police officer that they have 20 extra tickets due to people not showing up and try to give them to the cop.

I wish that I was joking.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/02/stephen-ross-jimmy-haslam-could-be-prosecuted-for-violating-the-sports-bribery-act/

The Sports Bribery Act criminalizes such conduct. Under 18 U.S.C. § 224, “Whoever carries into effect, attempts to carry into effect, or conspires with any other person to carry into effect any scheme in commence to influence, in any way, by bribery any sporting contest, with knowledge of the purpose of such scheme is to influence by bribery that contests, shall be fined under this title, or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.”

Great find. That is how they got the Boston College basketball players and the Luchesse family gangsters. It is woth noting that the above makes no reference to gambling (which I would have assumed that it would). 

I will still tend to think that the NFL would need a policy in place to go after Flores for not reporting it. My suspicion is that they do, or at least probably do have one. What do you think?

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

At some point, someone saying this is racism, will tell us which part of Flores allegations are racist, correct? 

I see an allegedly sketch owner in Miami and two examples of teams going through the motions of the league mandated Rooney Rule.  

I would love to live in a world where skin color was no cause for even comment, much less it be bantered about any time it is a Black or Hispanic or Asian or  whomever is being written about at that moment. Color schmuller...If I didnt know Flores was black I'd have had to check why the race card was even mentioned.......for me it shows We people have more work to do in our collective consciousness.

Your post was rhetorical I got that. Its a sore subject with me I just needed to express what I did like a vent. This case has racial overtone all over it........its shocking top to bottom

m

Edited by muppy

What Flores' lawsuit fails to distinguish is the difference between teams having a guy in mind and discriminating based on race. Football fans know that teams alternate between offensive and defensive coaches as per team deficiencies. The Broncos have had two defensive coaches at HC back to back in Vic Fangio and Vance Joseph. In those years their offense was mediocre at best. They have decided to go with an offensive coach this time to address this deficiency. Their choice of Hackett proves that they had someone in mind going into the hiring process. We know that most African American coaches are defense oriented. As the rules have been changed to favor the passing game, offensive coaches are in vogue. If anything, there is a bias favoring offensive coaches.

If you are an African American DC angling for a HC job, you may get subjected to a token interview but it won't necessarily be because of racism. It will be because the team is going offense and already has a preferred candidate in mind. So if your team is going offense for HC, your African American choices are Leftwich, Bienemy, Culley, Lynn, Caldwell, Staley, Colts OC Marcus Brady (hispanic?). Culley, Lynn and Caldwell have all been head coaches. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--black-offensive-assistants-finding-roadblocks-to-becoming-nfl-head-coaches-054103279.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_offensive_coordinators

5 minutes ago, Irv said:

You can't tell me gamblers did not know about contract specifics and tanking games.  No way.  

To tank a game it would be obvious. Like if a team needed to go 40 yards in lets say 13 seconds and the defense plays everyone back 15 yards allowing a catch and run. 

No one would get away with that.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, PolishPrince said:

Ok excuse me, middle eastern and I believe the first arabic/muslim head coach. My bad

David Culley is also Lebanese

19 hours ago, Motorin' said:

But was Tom talking about Tua and the Miami Dolphins in this clip, and was Brady the QB Flores refused to meet with?

I remember when this came out and wondered what team this was. Could be Miami.

55 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Actually, a cop could get in trouble for not reporting it. You are supposed to make arrests for "Attempted Bribery."  It is not beneath Internal Affairs to run tests for this in NYC.  They will even have men and women in plain clothes hand you a wallet with zero ID and 100 bucks or so in it to see what you do. They come out to Madison Square Garden and tell a uniformed police officer that they have 20 extra tickets due to people not showing up and try to give them to the cop.

I wish that I was joking.

Wow! I had no idea, and that's pretty messed up!

From your post I'm guessing that whether discretion is exercised because it's a little old lady just trying to be nice and not having any idea that it's a "bribe" is entirely dependent on the whims of whoever processes the paperwork?

16 minutes ago, ThurmanThomasEnglishMuffin said:

David Culley is also Lebanese

I remember when this came out and wondered what team this was. Could be Miami.

I think the team Brady is talking about is SF.

Supposedly the 49ers were his #1 choice in free agency. His family is in California, he's from there, grew up rooting for the 49ers...

And they didn't want him, which IMO would have pissed him off and would fit with the "sticking with that..." in reference to Jimmy G.

BTW, talk about stupid! 49ers spent a gazillion picks to draft Lance but could have kept all that capital and just added Brady for free. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.