Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

no but one of them involved burying evidence that players were prone to snd suffering from serious neurological damage as a result of playing football.  

Thats not more problematic than allegations of tanking for money?

Of course it is….and congress shrugged 

Yep it is. And if you remember during the concussion stuff Congress did have hearings. On the Anti Trust protections. There are people sitting in those chambers that do want to yank those protections and this gives them another thread to pull. 

5 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Maybe that's the racist aspect too. "Oh, we need to hire black guys? Let's hire them to be our fall guys! Hahaha."

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, if anyone has a claim, it's Culley.

Take out any "racist" reasoning (which was not my first intent) that guy did well in his job with not a lot to work with.

I guess an argument can be made about the NFL going through Head Coaches a little too fast.  I may have it wrong but it seems to me

that the HC turnover rate is much higher lately than in the past.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Wait, what? 

Evans bank was charged with redlining and settled in 2015.  Trustmark National Bank just settled a few months ago. The fact that the federal government had to charge lenders with said violations in recent local history would prove that institutional racism exists. And it exists based on the the standards you just set in this post. 

That doesn't prove racism.  It proves that the bank didn't abide by HMDA regulations.  Mistakes happen, but dig deeper for overt racism.   

Edited by Southtown Tommy
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Everybody knew that Brian Daboll was the front runner when Joe Schoen was hired as the GM. Maybe something to the effect that it's Daboll's job to lose and Flores would have to walk on water to get the job. That kind of stuff happens all the time. It's not racism. Schoen had his favorite from the get go.

On 2/1/2022 at 4:18 PM, Gugny said:

That's speculation.

It is, and regardless they would not be stupid enough to to say it out loud. Every team has contingency plans for lost players and staff. But it’s still wise to be open to any pleasant surprises. 

There is no doubt in my mind Daboll was discussed and was part of the plan when they hired the GM. They didn’t hire him then look around and wonder who the coach might be. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, if anyone has a claim, it's Culley.

Agree - Cully, to me, has a real grievance about his treatment.

IMO, Flores has done himself no favors by his own behavior. He appears to be a man that, contrary to this "pillar of principle" he is projecting himself to be, didn't seem to have a problem with anything, or at least to the point where he felt compelled to speak up, until he didn't get another head coaching job. The fact that his own behavior would lead a reasonable person to conclude that, had he obtained the Head Coaching position with the Giants, he wouldn't have never said a word about anything - in turn, could lead a reasonable person to question if his actions now are more self-serving and vindictive than about any "greater good."

I might feel differently if, after reading through the complaint, I found anything to substantiate that he, as the complainant, actually suffered harm as a direct result of racism. There is a litany of statistics, innuendo, speculation, and even a history of the league and the black race. However, it is stunningly void of any facts that would, from a legal perspective, substantiate his claims.

This is not a commentary about whether or not racism exists in the NFL. That is a separate issue for me. For me, this is a question of whether Flores, who obtained an assitant coaching position at the age of 23, was continually promoted up the ranks, and achieved the highest coaching position in the NFL, Head Coach, which he held for 3 years, was a victim of racism. He certainly didn't provide anything in the complaint other than he was part of two "sham" interviews. I can believe everything he said about Ross and I can believe the Giants interview was a "sham." It still provides no evidence that he was a victim of racism.

Maybe there is more beyond the 4 corners of the complaint. We will see.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Maybe that's the racist aspect too. "Oh, we need to hire black guys? Let's hire them to be our fall guys! Hahaha."

No, they hire Black HCs to bad teams as "bridge" coaches.  I read it in the shout box. Like how Denver hired Vance Joseph to "bridge" to Vic Fangio.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, not at all "powerless" or "victims", but in terms of say in how the team is run - what their daily schedule is, what they practice and when, how much weight they lift, whether they play or not, what their role is if they play etc, they are definitely at the bottom tier of the scale in terms of choice.   Being relatively well paid doesn't change that, especially when most of them can be released at any time.

And yes, the star players and the top draft picks get "huge signing bonuses", but most of the players in the locker room do not.  PS players get nothing.  Maybe the top 12-15 paid players on the roster - the top 20%, do.

If you follow this branch of the thread, the person I'm responding to suggested that the NFL owners and upper eschelon can not be racists because they hire black NFL players. 

I hope you'd agree that's baloney.  They hire the guys their scouts and pro personnel people select out of the draft and FA class.  They may believe some of those players have the capability to develop into coaches and scouts and executives, regardless of skin color - I hope they do - but it bears no evidence for or against that idea that they hire black players.

OK, gotcha. I do however think that a majority of NFL roster players do get some sort of signing bonus. 

I think that anybody can be a racist. I also think that not everybody is racist, even if you own a football team. 

I agree with posters in this thread that a problem is that there are not enough black OCs and DCs. As you probably know, I am a fan of the Crimson Tide and keep an eye on our current and ex-players. Do you know about DeMeco Ryans? He played at Alabama and is now the DC for the 49ers. He was hired by them in 2017 as a defensive quality control coach and just kept moving up. He recently turned down a second interview with the Vikings for their head coaching job. Imo there is no stopping a man like this. 

One poster in this thread suggested a draft pick reward for signing a minority OC or DC. Imo this is a smart and novel idea. You can't just appear out of nowhere and become a head coach. There is too much money involved in the NFL, or for that matter major college. 

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whoa. The dolphins might be ****** if there’s witnesses to the $100k offer.

Id have to imagine they lose at least one 1st round pick, if not more.

Same for the Browns if Hue Jackson’s accusations are true (and he also claims to have proof). They should actually be punished even harsher because their tank actually worked. They got two 1st overall picks, and one of them could be a super star (Myles Garrett).

5 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK, gotcha. I do however think that a majority of NFL roster players do get some sort of signing bonus. 

I think that anybody can be a racist. I also think that not everybody is racist, even if you own a football team. 

I agree with posters in this thread that a problem is that there are not enough black OCs and DCs. As you probably know, I am a fan of the Crimson Tide and keep an eye on our current and ex-players. Do you know about DeMeco Ryans? He played at Alabama and is now the DC for the 49ers. He was hired by them in 2017 as a defensive quality control coach and just kept moving up. He recently turned down a second interview with the Vikings for their head coaching job. Imo there is no stopping a man like this. 

One poster in this thread suggested a draft pick reward for signing a minority OC or DC. Imo this is a smart and novel idea. You can't just appear out of nowhere and become a head coach. There is too much money involved in the NFL, or for that matter major college. 

Jmo.

This is interesting and makes me curious. Why would he do the first interview but not a second? Did he not like what he heard? I have to think a second interview is not “a sham”.  But what do I know?  Any insight there? 

• BillsFan4 changed the title to Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.
1 minute ago, Augie said:

This is interesting and makes me curious. Why would he do the first interview but not a second? Did he not like what he heard? I have to think a second interview is not “a sham”.  But what do I know?  Any insight there? 

Augie, Harbaugh's name is being tossed around for that job. Maybe DeMeco thinks that a 2nd interview would be a waste of his time. Harbaugh really is qualified, wouldn't you say? Seriously.

But as I said, there really is no holding back a man like Ryans. He will get his chance. Things will happen for him and many other deserving people. 

That said, you can't start at the top. Not when billions of dollars are involved. That is why I made the point about rewarding teams who hire minority OCs and DCs. And btw, I did not think of this. Another poster in this thread did.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, jkeerie said:

It seems to me that if you awarded the picks to the team doing the hiring of the minority coach/executive, versus the team losing the coach/executive, it actually might work.  Part of the problem is that most of the minority coordinators are on the defensive side of the ball.  With teams favoring offensive minded head coaches this year (or so it seems with the exception of Eberflus who was ironically hired by a Black GM), the only minority coordinators on that side of the ball were Byron Leftwich (with Brady as QB), Eric Bienimy (with Andy Reid mostly calling that offense) and Eric Studsville (co-coordinator on Miami).  I would expect that the teams still looking for head coaches will also mostly favor the offensive side:  The Jags to develop Lawrence, the Vikings (since Zimmer was defensive), Saints (with their success with Payton), Dolphins (to develop Tua).  The Texans will be lucky to find anyone to take that job.  Actually, they would be smart to hire Flores, if he'd take the job.  That would be interesting.

Actually they should only award the picks if you keep the person for 2 years (or if they get hired away in 1 year). And there would need to be a limit on how often you could get comp picks. It doesn't help if you hire a minority ST coach every 2 years while firing the last one, just so you can get a comp pick. But I am sure the lawyers can figure it out.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Yep it is. And if you remember during the concussion stuff Congress did have hearings. On the Anti Trust protections. There are people sitting in those chambers that do want to yank those protections and this gives them another thread to pull. 

There might be few, but not nearly enough.  

Look, if these stories are true, the league (the owners) will come after the offending owner(s).  That's about it.   Congress won't hurt the NFL, not after scandals of sexual abuse, player abuse/neglect, cheating scandals.  This will be no different.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.