Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think the league has a real problem with minority representation at all levels. Black coaches are given a much shorter leash and are required to have more success to maintain job security. The Rooney rule may not be the best solution, but you can't just waive it away. The sport is and has been dominated by BIPOC for quite some time, but the executives continue to be oddly pale. Until you have a better replacement other than "JuSt HiRe ThE bEsT cAnDiDaTe" it is the only real tool in the tool box.

Flores may very well be right here and I am probably side with him. 

But in court this will be a tough one. Unless Schoen put in writing somewhere that they wanted to give multiple interviews to Flores and Frazier in order to give the perception of fairness, he will have a tough time winning this. If Schoen did put it in writing his career as a GM is over before it started. 

I view things like this sort of like redlining. It is most certainly illegal. And it most certainly continues to happen. But the burden of proof needed to prosecute is so astronomically high/avoidable by companies/lenders that it is really difficult to move on legally. 

As people have mentioned: Bowles stuck around, Anthony Lynn, Marvin Lewis to a degree Hugh Jackson... Heck Saleh is still around with a terrible team after a year.

Pete Carroll was originally fired after one year, Jim Tomisula niners, Mike Mularky in Jax, Jim Mora Seattle, Bobby Petrino in the NFL, Cam Cameron for Phins all fired for just one year and I am sure there is more.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

If true, Hue must be a very wealthy man. 

HC openings need two minority candidates interviewed. 

Oh didnt realize that thabk you. Regardless he just Kaepernicked himself and I am not sure Nike is going to bang down his door for endorsements.

3 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Hue Jackson saying the same thing when he was the Browns HC.

(19) ProFootballTalk on Twitter: "Hue Jackson suggests he was paid extra for losses as Browns head coach. https://t.co/NZJv37PwkP" / Twitter

Jackson should be able to produce financial proof to back up his claims since he was actually paid.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Roy Hobbs said:

Jackson should be able to produce financial proof to back up his claims since he was actually paid.

Yup. Then he should be prosecuted for commiting what would appear to be a Class D Felony. 

https://criminaldefense.1800nynylaw.com/new-york-penal-law-180-40-sports-bribing.html

Edited by BuffaloBillyG
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I tend to believe the offers of $$ for losses to be true. The NFL may want to settle that. However, the Dolphins and NFL lawyers will be looking very closely at how such an offer (not accepted) is legally actionable, and whether they can fight to even prevent discovery as a result.

He does contend that afterwards he was treated as the "angry black man" and ridiculed, so potentially he can introduce it that way, I guess.

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think it's "too little, too late".

I agree with you on that.  I think the "spirit" of the RR is fine, I think the truth of the matter is, despite all the stuff you want to talk about with 'wowing'...  It does happen, but not often.  I've been involved in the interview process many times where internal candidates that you knew up front were going to get the job - even when you had a team of 6 interviewers with 10 applicants - and not-shockingly, that person got the job. Sometimes you get locked in on someone.  Sometimes you hear the buzz around your name and "think" you're (or from the other side of the table they're) the bomb.com, but you(they) aren't.  I suspect some of that is going on too. If it was Josh McDaniels instead of Brian Daboll with the same info.  He's not filing a lawsuit. But that doesn't mean it wasn't dodging a minority by the Giants.

At the end of the day, the RR is flawed. They need to find a way to fix the optics somehow, the RR was a band-aid to give them better optics.  Time to replace that with real reform.  Maybe flat out force NFL teams to have at least one coordinator or above who is a minority. I don't like that, it's like affirmative action. But I don't know how you fix this in an era where DEI matters to many of your paying customers - and those you hope to attract in the future.  As I said, this situation makes the NFL look bad, that is the part they need to fix.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We don't know that, right?  And in fact, if Katharine Fitzgerald of The Buffalo News is correct that Belichick's texts were 3 days before Flores interview (Monday), then Daboll didn't even have his 2nd interview until Tuesday.

It's one thing to believe or have some information that once Schoen was hired as GM, his plan was to bring Daboll with him as HC.    But a plan is one thing, actually having a HC hired is another thing and there's lots of steps in between.  We don't even know who Belichick's source was, and his comment to (the guy he thinks is Daboll)  "hope it works out if you want it to" does not sound like knowledge of a "done deal"

Still dying on that hill huh?

39 minutes ago, PolishPrince said:

Well since you insisted I carry on, I will a bit.

I even re-read your post and re-read mine. Your entire argument of the flow and logic was attributing the overwhelming amount of black players in NFL and college level and the math not adding up. So sure you didnt say even ratios, but its heavily implied it should be a lot closer to so. So if its not even, what is your satisfactory amount?

I also think its funny that once Flores and Culley is fired we bring this discussion up, and for some reason everyone forgets about Saleh does he not count? Now lets look back to during last season: Culley, Flores, Tomlin, Saleh 4/32 12.5% of the HC positions were black. If we arent going to go off player ratios, USA is made up of around 7.5% black males, so they were trending above the curve so far (this doesnt even count as Ron Rivera who is a minority coach but no one likes to bring that up). Isnt there still jobs to fill so there is more than the 3 minority Head coaches? Maybe Culley gets another shot, or Frazier, or Leftwich or Bienemy. Didnt like 2 or 3 years ago the NFL had Vance Joseph, Steve Wilkes, Anthony Lynn, Ron Rivera, Brian Flores, Mike Tomlin and Todd Bowles at the same time? Im going off memory and dont feel like going to look it up so I might be off someone not overlapping. But thats ~22%, yet after that year I remember articles and articles about how unfair it is there still isnt enough black coaches (not saying you wrote those obviously). 

Maybe the extreme uneven ratios is the amount of black players in the NFL compared to whites, hispanics and asians? Why is that not a concern? Because just like coaching it should be the best person for the job no matter the skin color and its stupid to start looking at ratios by skin color rather than merit. Across the USA there are a lot more white football players up until highschool - and really probably college too if you count JUCO and DIvIII (I dont know the stat so I could be wrong on the lower colleges). So if you have more white people in the country, and more white people realizing there potential for NFL is 0, they turn to coaching much younger making them better fit for coaching roles in the future.

I do not care what a coaches skin color is and no one should, its dumb. Flores got a raw deal and it sounds like it was more the business side with GM's it does happen to white coaches too (though owner paying for losses is a huge issue). Flores on the field and game prep was a great coach.

Robert Saleh is Lebanese.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So I just have to shake my head at this.

Let's just take one point.  "If racism is rampant throughout the league, owners would not employee black players."

Historically, the willingness to employ people at the lowest power level in an organization does not mean that some form of prejudice is not operating in the choices for who fills the highest levels of the executive suite.   It simply doesn't. 

We've seen this over and over and over again in field after field, where industries are perfectly willing to make use of one group at the entry level but for one or another reason don't see them as qualified for positions of power.  Sometimes explicit prejudice is the reason.  Sometimes it's something much more subtle, and harder to get at.

Getting back to football - what makes you think all football owners want to "win at all costs"?  Do you think Ralph Wilson wanted to "win at all costs" through most of his tenure?  Do you think Cal McNair is focused on winning above all?  Was Bill Bidwell?    From the evidence I see, I don't think "win at all costs" is anything like a universal football ownership sentiment.  I'm not even sure "win" is.

You are implying that the players have the lowest power level? Really? Lamar Jackson does not have any power in the Ravens organization?

Examples of industries you speak of?  As far as evidence of "win at all costs", this is competitive sports at the highest level, so yes, i do think it is win at all costs. 

Race baiting at its finest - nothing factual to back up the accusations.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I tend to believe the offers of $$ for losses to be true. The NFL may want to settle that. However, the Dolphins and NFL lawyers will be looking very closely at how such an offer (not accepted) is legally actionable, and whether they can fight to even prevent discovery as a result.

Is that kind of like bribery not being a crime if the bribe is turned down?

16 minutes ago, Southtown Tommy said:

You are implying that the players have the lowest power level? Really? Lamar Jackson does not have any power in the Ravens organization?

Examples of industries you speak of?  As far as evidence of "win at all costs", this is competitive sports at the highest level, so yes, i do think it is win at all costs. 

On the whole, Yes.  You name a Star in Lamar.  Yes, every player has Stars who have big guaranteed contracts, and on whom the success of the season rides - Lamar, Rodgers, Wilson, Aaron Donald.

But you weren't talking about a few stars on each team, you were pretty clearly talking about the majority of the team.  There are 69 players in each NFL locker room, counting the 16 on each practice squad.  Do you really want to try to cast an a argument that most of those guys have power in the organization?  The Isaiah McKenzies and Ryan "Rick" Bates and Tyrel Dodsons who comprise the majority of each NFL roster?

C'Mon Man.  What power do most of these guys have?  They don't have guaranteed contracts, they can be released from the team at any point during the season for any reason.

As for "competitive at all costs", do you honestly think the 2019 Dolphins were trying to be "competitive at all costs"?  How about the 2003-2019 Browns?  You think an organization that is genuinely dedicated to "Win at All Costs" manages to achieve such abysmal results? 

What about the Bills from the late '60s to the early '70s, or in the early '80s, or for that matter during the recent Drought?  You really think that's "win at all costs" when Ralph Wilson was known to hire people he trusted vs. the best football guys, and "lifers" "dysfunction junction" and "cash to cap" were part of our Bills fan vocabulary?

And don't get me started on the Detroit Lions.

No, I'm not going to go into a history lesson on institutional racism and sexism for you.  It's beyond the scope here.

16 minutes ago, Southtown Tommy said:

Race baiting at its finest - nothing factual to back up the accusations.

This is hysterical from the guy who made the statement ""If racism is rampant throughout the league, owners would not employee black players." 

Get a mirror and check yourself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.