Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I think it means the Rooney Rule does more harm than good at this point.  I don’t really like Flores, but good for him for calling out the BS and going after these billionaire owners who think they can do whatever they want.  

“do whatever they want” as in hire the coach they want?  

The Ross stuff in Miami is certainly ridiculous, but if this is about the Giants coaching search… they abided by the Rooney Rule, perhaps seriously considered Flores as their 2nd option if Daboll falls through, and then ultimately hired their 1st choice.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Maybe he was concerned with the players on the team he was coaching and all of the assistants he hired and asked to move their families to Miami. Life is complicated.

From all reports out of Miami appears he was difficult to work with and had caused a lot of friction within the team and FO. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nitro said:

Flores, by filing this suit, has ended his NFL career.  He could be right on these charges and my win but in the end he loses.  I still contend that the Rooney rule is a sham.   

It’s proving to be just that. Clearly a tool for owners to hide behind when there’s 1 black head coach.  Well we’re giving them interviews at least.  

Having read the complaint and the background, I've come to the conclusion that the most likely scenario is that everything Flores is saying is true. Oh sure, there's some things that are subject to interpretation (was Elway really nursing a hangover when he showed up an hour late to interview Flores?), but:

- Flores is only 40. He's not likely to sabotage his future NFL career over minor slights.

- His firing was always weird. He had finished strong, his players were obviously motivated to play for him, and Tua actually had a fine second half that restored his value. 

- I think everybody thought "the Dolphins must have some celebrity coach ready to go." A Harbaugh type. But now it seems like they didn't.

So ... did Ross actually try to get Flores to tank the season? Flores refused, Ross got pissed, fired him, and badmouthed him to the rest of the NFL owners' club?

I'm not sure what exactly precipitated the scorched earth lawsuit. Oh, I believe it is meritorious in a general sense (I really can't explain why we'd have only one black coach in these days), but it seems to me that Flores believed that his career had been destroyed by Ross even before the lawsuit. Flores seems angry (with cause), not insane.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Still… and I don’t know how this operates normally… but is it normal to hire someone while they are still in the interviewing process? We know they interviewed Dabs and Frazier, they need 2 for RR I believe. Definitely smells like BS and glad Flores is sticking it to the NFL.

Agree.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Having read the complaint and the background, I've come to the conclusion that the most likely scenario is that everything Flores is saying is true. Oh sure, there's some things that are subject to interpretation (was Elway really nursing a hangover when he showed up an hour late to interview Flores?), but:

- Flores is only 40. He's not likely to sabotage his future NFL career over minor slights.

- His firing was always weird. He had finished strong, his players were obviously motivated to play for him, and Tua actually had a fine second half that restored his value. 

- I think everybody thought "the Dolphins must have some celebrity coach ready to go." A Harbaugh type. But now it seems like they didn't.

So ... did Ross actually try to get Flores to tank the season? Flores refused, Ross got pissed, fired him, and badmouthed him to the rest of the NFL owners' club?

I'm not sure what exactly precipitated the scorched earth lawsuit. Oh, I believe it is meritorious in a general sense (I really can't explain why we'd have only one black coach in these days), but it seems to me that Flores believed that his career had been destroyed by Ross even before the lawsuit. Flores seems angry (with cause), not insane.

I agree, with a lot of what you posted, I was pretty damn surprised when the Dolphins canned him last month.  I thought he earned another crack at it next year for sure with the way they finished.

19 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

So they set up a 2nd interview with a guy they weren’t impressed with after the first interview? Makes perfect sense.

What happens if the Giants settle on Daboll and Miami swoops in amd offers him an offer he can't refuse? Now they lost their choice. Always good too have 2nd or even 3rd fall back options. 

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

What happens if the Giants settle on Daboll and Miami swoops in amd offers him an offer he can't refuse? Now they lost their choice. Always good too have 2nd or even 3rd fall back options. 

So Flores was their 2nd (or 3rd) choice? After you just speculated he bombed his 1st interview. Again, makes perfect sense. You can stop now.

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Consider Josh McDaniels. He bombed in Denver as a head coach, backed out at the last minute after a handshake deal in Indy in 2018, and yet he merits a head coaching job with the Raiders. Flores takes a disaster in Miami and makes then very competitive in just a couple years. Hard to argue that there isn't racism in NFL coaching hires when there is a lone black head coach and a relatively small percentage of assistant coaches.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

It’s proving to be just that. Clearly a tool for owners to hide behind when there’s 1 black head coach.  Well we’re giving them interviews at least.  

Only way this gets changed if an impartial third party observes these interviews. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

To those who think there’s legitimacy to the Flores/Giants lawsuit:

Should we launch an investigation into our hiring of Dorsey?

Pretty obvious we never were hiring Tee Martin if Dorsey accepted the contract offer.  

There was a legitimate chance Dorsey would follow Daboll to NYG.

1 minute ago, JoPoy88 said:

So Flores was their 2nd (or 3rd) choice? After you just speculated he bombed his 1st interview. Again, makes perfect sense. You can stop now.

Well, being it's 100% speculation because I wasn't in the room I am raising plausible things that could be in play. Aside from repeating what I say and making a snide remark can you offer any proof my ideas are so ludicrous? Were you in the room? No? Do you have anything of value or intelligence to add? Again no? 

Sit down, pup. Grown ups are talking.

1 minute ago, BayBuck said:

There was a legitimate chance Dorsey would follow Daboll to NYG.

There was a legitimate chance, in NY’s eyes, Daboll goes elsewhere.   He didn’t just walk into the interview and immediately give away all his negotiating leverage by declaring his undying allegiance to only the NYG’s HC position. 

3 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Only way this gets changed if an impartial third party observes these interviews. 

Nope.  Rich old white guys gonna rich old white guy until it hurts them in the pocket book.  Which is exactly what Flores is trying to do.  Never particularly liked the guy, but good for Flores.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The miami roster in 2019 was without question the worst in the league with regard to talent. Pretending otherwise is just bias. The fact that he went 5-11 with a 1-15 team (talent-wise) and was competitive the entire second half of the season was good coaching, and everyone in the NFL knew it. Re: your line above, there are lies, damned lies, and statistics.

If the largest feather in your cap is getting a horrific football team to 5 wins 3 years ago, would you be mad teams weren't breaking your door down for an HC job?

3 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

Consider Josh McDaniels. He bombed in Denver as a head coach, backed out at the last minute after a handshake deal in Indy in 2018, and yet he merits a head coaching job with the Raiders. Flores takes a disaster in Miami and makes then very competitive in just a couple years. Hard to argue that there isn't racism in NFL coaching hires when there is a lone black head coach and a relatively small percentage of assistant coaches.

This is a pretty solid example. The Schoen-Daboll connection was obvious and the Bills had just laid down a perfect offensive game. Daboll was clearly a "hot" candidate this year. But McDaniels... it's unusual he gets another shot after the 2 prior debacles as compared to others. At least on the surface, Frazier has more going for him than McDaniels and so does Flores (pre-lawsuit). The Raiders just got rid of Jon Gruden - who was no prize either - so this could be a bit of a "quacks like a duck" situation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.