Brian Flores suing NFL, NY Giants, Dolphins, Broncos.

BillsFan4

I’m not sure what to make of all this.

Flores may have a point if it being a sham interview. I think everyone knew once Schoen got the job it was going to be Daboll. They have a working relationship and giants wanted an offensive coach to help their QB. Daboll is a quality candidate. This isn’t the Texans hiring a guy who has only volunteered at a HS. So yeah, his

interview with the giants probably was just to satisfy a rule. We can debate the merits of the Rooney rule, but I’m not sure Flores has Much of a case here. Less than a month ago he had one of 32 exclusive jobs in the NFL

Now the 100k per loss is a bombshell IMO. The league just signed gambling deals and has a team in Vegas. Throwing games looks very very bad. 

Flores is kind of an idiot for filing this while 5 coach openings are still available. He can kiss his NFL career goodbye. I get standing by your principles, but this seems off base to me and I’m not sure what his endgoal is 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, BananaB said:

From the texts it seems he was ok with getting the job without being interviewed. 😂 That was before the Bill realized he ***** up. 

I think it is misread imo. 

the 24th was the same day news breaks that Flores was the front runner. 

hence did you land. Yada yada then on page 2 of texts said the job is yours if you want it. 

sounds to me BB was parroting the media reports to his Former coach as motivation. 

This is why the Rooney Rule is a joke. It was pretty obvious once Bills assistant GM went to Giants that Daboll would be the favorite - "local" guy with family in the area and already a highly thought of HC candidate across the league it just made sense. But if Giants dont interview a black candidate they get penalized, however if they interview a black candidate even when they already know their guy and its not quite "genuine enough" boom lawsuit. As others pointed out though, IF it can be proven Phins management were trying to throw games - that to me is a huge issue.

One thing I just thought of today. With the new rules to encourage minority coordinators becoming HC. I wonder if it would backfire in some cases? Obviously there is now a big incentive to push a minority coordinator to HC somewhere for the draft picks. Do you think maybe a team in the conference would look at that and say "well I sure dont want to give a rival 2x third round draft picks...." For instance people discuss Eric Bienemy should be HC somewhere, but I wonder if a team like the Phins would go "ehhh I dont really want to give the Chiefs a couple extra decently high draft picks." Hell, same with the Bills and Frazier...I am not saying its the right thing to think about, I just wonder if this is something some teams would think about when it comes up?

1 hour ago, wppete said:

I suggest NE fire Bill Bilichick and give his job to Flores 😂. What insanity. People have had it with this stuff….. I believe Flores never coaches another down again. CFL time, maybe. 

I suggest Bellichick fires that slob Patricia & gives his job to Flores.

7 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Sad part is that even if Flores is RIGHT, his career is over. The good ole boys in the NFL wont tolerate any of this "fairness" stuff. That's just for show !

Right so he’s got the Dolphins for potential tampering and competitive tanking.
Giants and Broncos he has nothing so the racism issue is not happening. Since in fact Miami hired him in the first place. Perhaps his personality and poor O had a lot to do with not getting a job this cycle. At 40 with his career ahead of him. Fair would have him get the Giants job is that your point? 

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I suggest Bellichick fires that slob Patricia & gives his job to Flores.

I didn’t even know Patricia was back with NE. Really dislike all those NE guys. But unfortunately I don’t see Flores ever getting a job in the NFL again. 

Edited by wppete

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

Right so he’s got the Dolphins for potential tampering and competitive tanking.
Giants and Broncos he has nothing so the racism issue is not happening. Since in fact Miami hired him in the first place. Perhaps his personality and poor O had a lot to do with not getting a job this cycle. At 40 with his career ahead of him. Fair would have him get the Giants job is that your point? 

My point is that this is a no win situation either way for Flores. The NFL proved with Colin Kapernick that they can erase you if they want. Doesnt matter if you are right or wrong.

1 minute ago, Saint Doug said:

Thread has become too big too fast. Anyone have an answer what the allegations against Ross have to do with systemic racism? Plus, the irony is that he did get hired by the NFL as a HC, but only to throw the guy under bus (probably deservedly). 

I'm still puzzled by this. I get the circumstantial link to racism in the Giants and Denver allegations, but as far as I can tell Ross is just a dirtbag. I guess the hidden implication is he hired Flores as a "placeholder coach" to tank the team, intending to hire a "permanent" white coach later. Then Flores inconveniently won so he had to fire him, unlike if he was white in which case he'd never be fired after 2 winning seasons. At least, that is as close as I can come to a rationale. 

But the other poster who explained that in an EEO lawsuit you bring up every piece of dirty laundry possible to force a settlement probably nailed it.

5 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

Thread has become too big too fast. Anyone have an answer what the allegations against Ross have to do with systemic racism? Plus, the irony is that he did get hired by the NFL as a HC, but only to throw the guy under bus (probably deservedly). 

Scorched earth lawsuit. Forces settlement as NFL doesn’t want the tampering and paying to lose to get to discovery. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I’m not sure what to make of all this.

Flores may have a point if it being a sham interview. I think everyone knew once Schoen got the job it was going to be Daboll. They have a working relationship and giants wanted an offensive coach to help their QB. Daboll is a quality candidate. This isn’t the Texans hiring a guy who has only volunteered at a HS. So yeah, his

interview with the giants probably was just to satisfy a rule. We can debate the merits of the Rooney rule, but I’m not sure Flores has Much of a case here. Less than a month ago he had one of 32 exclusive jobs in the NFL

Now the 100k per loss is a bombshell IMO. The league just signed gambling deals and has a team in Vegas. Throwing games looks very very bad. 

Flores is kind of an idiot for filing this while 5 coach openings are still available. He can kiss his NFL career goodbye. I get standing by your principles, but this seems off base to me and I’m not sure what his endgoal is 

Principle.  And probably revenge.  But principle is high on the list. 

3 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I had a good chuckle at this part

21. Incredibly, this was not Mr. Flores’ first sham interview that was held only in an effort to comply with the Rooney Rule. Indeed, in 2019 Mr. Flores was scheduled to interview with the Denver Broncos. However, the Broncos’ then-General Manager, John Elway, President and Chief Executive Officer Joe Ellis and others, showed up an hour late to the interview. They looked completely disheveled, and it was obvious that they had drinking heavily the night before. It was clear from the substance of the interview that Mr. Flores was interviewed only because of the Rooney Rule, and that the Broncos never had any intention to consider him as a legitimate candidate for the job. Shortly thereafter, Vic Fangio, a white man, was hired to be the Head Coach of the Broncos.

I am not a lawyer, but I don't see how Flores could win this. Unless people in Miami/NYG ownership were stupid enough to send an email saying "We're not hiring Flores because he's black". Teams are free to hire/fire whomever they want.

I wonder if the league's response to this would be to nix the Rooney Rule ? 

Ya right…

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

this isnt a fender-bender case, so he doesnt have receipts for out-of-pocket expenses.  Maybe he can argue lost wages. 

But If its civil rights litigation, then the jury will decide what his damages are.  Especially if punitive damages are awarded (as they sometimes are for things like fraud or other misconduct).

What lost wages?  They chose someone else.

His civil rights were not violated in any way.  He can't claim the Giants and certainly not the Dolphins "discriminated" against him.  in fact, his complaint is that the Giants ONLY interviewed him because he is black

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I have no idea if the claims Flores made are true. They may be. I am a little skeptical and I would like to hear his answers to a couple of questions:

1. You claim Ross offered you bribes to lose games on purpose and asked you to violate tampering rules. You also claimed you had enough backbone to stand up to him and refuse to comply. Those things happened 3 years ago. If you had the strength to stand up to Ross and flatly refuse, why did you not feel strongly enough to come forward then, or when you got fired - rather than now, when you did not get the job you wanted.

2. You have been employed by the NFL for 18 years. You have been promoted through the coaching ranks throughout those 18 years up through the coaching ranks. You eventually obtained the top coaching position, head coach, which you held for 3 years. Did you believe the NFL was a systemically racist organization during that entire time? If so, why did you not speak out in any way during your coaching career, or even when you got fired - rather than doing so only now after not getting the job you wanted.

He may have some very good answers to those questions, I don't know. I would like to hear them.

I think what Flores is trying to say is that he was treated like a puppet in Miami. He rebelled against being a puppet for Ross and was fired. 

Probably true. Is it due to racism? IDK. Lots of puppets in the NFL. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.