Cincy squib kick before halftime - an FU to Buffalo???? As per Bill Simmons

Billsfan1972

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Would have been at the 8 yard line and yes 2 seconds off the clock.

Maybe then the Bill DB's could have played 50 yards off the LOS (vs. only the 40 they did on Sunday)????😜

I would have preferred a high kick, but as you implied, the defense screwed the pooch anyway. Squibs aren’t a guarantee that they don’t start in good field position, either. If an up guy fields the kick, chances are they are starting from their 40 or so. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Yea not sure what the risk factor is on kicking that OB though.  An out of bounds kickoff would’ve been an even more embarrassing way to lose that game lol

And then the blame lies wholly on Tyler Bass (as opposed to all the guessing over the last 9 days).  As I said in earlier threads, I was screaming for the Bass pop up kick to the 5-10, which he was proficient at all year.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And then the blame lies wholly on Tyler Bass.  As I said in earlier threads, I was screaming for the Bass pop up kick to the 5-10, which he was proficient at all year.

Well yea but they’re not making decisions based on who gets the blame though lol I don’t hate kicking it deep…one incomplete pass/short gain and the game is pretty much over.  also I have heard some people theorizing that bass was not supposed to kick it deep but that’s just rumors at this point

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes. Biggest game of their life and they are all...ya know what? Let's get a dig on Buffalo, a team we don't even play often. 

I'm sure of it. 

Agreed. It's all a part of the greater NFL/Officiating/Media anti-Buffalo and pro-New England conspiracy.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting that thing!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Agreed. It's all a part of the greater NFL/Officiating/Media anti-Buffalo and pro-New England conspiracy.

Well bill Simmons is definitely a pats homer haha so pro New England is accurate in this case…I think it’s more embarrassing giving up a perfect offensive game against us than the 13 seconds thing 

12 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Just wait. After the Super Bowl we will learn that The Patriots were awarded 7 comp picks because Cincinnati squib kicked it. It will never end

• Haha (+1) 1

I listen to Simmons a lot, which is weird, because his Boston homerism is very annoying.

Part of that is taking digs at the Bills here & there, unexpectedly.  He's definitely not pleased that another team has finally assumed control of the division.  He gives Allen a lot of props though (not that noteworthy, since any pundit who still refuses to do so looks silly).

1 hour ago, Success said:

I listen to Simmons a lot, which is weird, because his Boston homerism is very annoying.

Part of that is taking digs at the Bills here & there, unexpectedly.  He's definitely not pleased that another team has finally assumed control of the division.  He gives Allen a lot of props though (not that noteworthy, since any pundit who still refuses to do so looks silly).

He is great and a very knowledgeable good listen.  Yes a Boston fan unabashedly, and nothing wrong with that, as he doesn't hide it or pretend to be anything else (just like his friends who are Yankee, Washingtion and Cowboys fans too).  

Of course it wasn't an FU, but funny nonetheless that Cincy did the RIGHT THING and did it successfully one week after a colossal f up.....

Actually I put this up more so because two threads were taken down (merged with the game one) Sunday about the exact same thing.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Really was no need for it as there was plenty of time and every other kick Cincy made was through the endzone.  

Know this was brought up on Sunday (and then merged with other gameday topics), but just was listening to the Bill Simmons podcast and that is how he referred to the squib kick as.....  A FU to Buffalo.  

BTW it took up 5 seconds and returned to the 19 yards line.

Yep not over it......😜

They're playing for the AFCCG. 

They're playing the team that won the AFCCG the last 2 seasons and went to the Superbowl

They're losing.

Why on earth would anyone think the Bengals would make a playcall in that game for any other reason than they thought it was the right call at the time?

People are wierd.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They're playing for the AFCCG. 

They're playing the team that won the AFCCG the last 2 seasons and went to the Superbowl

They're losing.

Why on earth would anyone think the Bengals would make a playcall in that game for any other reason than they thought it was the right call at the time?

People are wierd.

Of course it was the right call and it worked as practiced.....

Why does Bill Simmons think the Cincy squib has anything to do with Buffalo? or a FU to Buffalo? TBH I thought at the time it was strange for them to do it but I guess the strategy was to avoid a big return and stop the bleeding. It seemed to work for that.  The only thing I noted at the time in the game thread is that they squibed it to the 4 yard line with 1:05 left and managed to kill 4 seconds off the clock. KC started on their 19. So the only relevance to Buffalo is comparing what happened there to the bone headed decision by the Bills to kick it through the endzone with 13 seconds left. Had the Bills done anything similar KC gets it on the 19 with 9 seconds left or worse their return man screws up as he tries to field the bouncing ball and fumbles or burns even more time on the clock. Kicking it through the endzone and trusting your exhausted D who had just been turbo shredded by the Chiefs on the previous drive with soft prevent defense strategy , will go down as one of the dumbest decisions in NFL playoff coaching history!

1 hour ago, Malazan said:

The hilarious thing is there are posters who believe it..

All while being basically embarrassed the 1st half down 21-3 with KC threatening to making it 28-3 before halftime. The CIncy coaches decided we need to send a big FU to Buffalo and Squib? This is comical AF to me. 

If you look at it, I bet KC could have actually really used those extra 5 seconds with how the half ended. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

And then the blame lies wholly on Tyler Bass (as opposed to all the guessing over the last 9 days).  As I said in earlier threads, I was screaming for the Bass pop up kick to the 5-10, which he was proficient at all year.

Yes BUT .. In the regular season , players catch that and return it 

Situational football wise

If that pop up is going to the 10 you let it bounce and roll into the end zone.. and they're still at the 25

10 hours ago, zow2 said:

I still can't get over the still picture image of Kelce running up the seam on the play just before the tying FG.   He's wide friggin open,,,just uncovered.  And Mahomes has a grand canyon sized throwing lane to toss him the ball.  The defense really galls me on in those final seconds much more than the lack of squib kick.

Wallace was technically covering him but he got a free release and Milano was way too deep and out of position to help.  The best TE in the league basically untouched and wide open on the biggest play of the season.

Both our All pro safeties so far deep they may as well have been on the bench.

4 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

Wallace was technically covering him but he got a free release and Milano was way too deep and out of position to help.  The best TE in the league basically untouched and wide open on the biggest play of the season.

Both our All pro safeties so far deep they may as well have been on the bench.

Wallace was supposed to have inside leverage and he played outside. Major screw up there that didn’t help. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.