Cincy squib kick before halftime - an FU to Buffalo???? As per Bill Simmons

Billsfan1972

• Billsfan1972 changed the title to Cincy squib kick before halftime - an FU to Buffalo???? As per Bill Simmons
23 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I’m over the kickoff.

Im more upset about the defense.

Cincinatti did for 2.5 quarters, what we couldn’t do for 13 seconds.

Although I cringe at most of his articles, Jerry Sullivan’s article today put it to bed for me. Onto the combine/draft. Looking forward to @gunnerbill, @blokestradamus, @Majbobby and others input 

It absolutely wasn't an FU to the Buffalo Bills 

And there's a lot of football coaches who have already explained why it wasn't a bad decision.. the bills execution after was bad

First squib kicking is not guaranteed to take any time off the clock.. you can fall on the ball and the clock is dead.. it gives the team the chance to have the ball at 35 or 40 with 0-1-2 seconds off 

It does not burn 6-7-8 seconds off the clock if the other team executes it 

Pooching it up in the air , and a directional squib can also have a chance of going out of bounds it's possible 

What is safe is Tyler bass booting it out of the end zone.. and thinking your d could defend 40 yards in 13 seconds 

A squib could have been 25 yards in 11 seconds

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Really was no need for it as there was plenty of time and every other kick was through the endzone.  

Know this was brought up on Sunday (and then merged with other gameday topics), but just was listening to the Bill Simmons podcast and that is how he referred to the squib kick as.....  A FU to Buffalo.  

BTW it took up 5 seconds and returned to the 19 yards line.

Yep not over it......😜

The thought crossed my mind when it happened.

10 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It absolutely wasn't an FU to the Buffalo Bills 

And there's a lot of football coaches who have already explained why it wasn't a bad decision.. the bills execution after was bad

First squib kicking is not guaranteed to take any time off the clock.. you can fall on the ball and the clock is dead.. it gives the team the chance to have the ball at 35 or 40 with 0-1-2 seconds off 

It does not burn 6-7-8 seconds off the clock if the other team executes it 

Pooching it up in the air , and a directional squib can also have a chance of going out of bounds it's possible 

What is safe is Tyler bass booting it out of the end zone.. and thinking your d could defend 40 yards in 13 seconds 

A squib could have been 25 yards in 11 seconds

Pretty sure Levi blew the game by defending the sideline for no reason and McDermott would never throw a player under the bus.  I can’t imagine every coach forgot how many timeouts kc had…he probably was used to pinching the sideline in a late situation like that and completely brain farted.

Really was no need for it as there was plenty of time and every other kick Cincy made was through the endzone.  

Know this was brought up on Sunday (and then merged with other gameday topics), but just was listening to the Bill Simmons podcast and that is how he referred to the squib kick as.....  A FU to Buffalo.  

Yep not over it......😜

All of your threads suck 😂

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Pretty sure Levi blew the game by defending the sideline for no reason and McDermott would never throw a player under the bus.  I can’t imagine every coach forgot how many timeouts kc had…he probably was used to pinching the sideline in a late situation like that and completely brain farted.

So Levi is to blame? Yikes that’s a big assumption. If McDermy is so detail oriented Levi’s task should have been communicated. We also rushed 4 needlessly and didn’t bump or double hill or Kelce. So the Levi did it is hard to land on for me.

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

So Levi is to blame? Yikes that’s a big assumption. If McDermy is so detail oriented Levi’s task should have been communicated. We also rushed 4 needlessly and didn’t bump or double hill or Kelce. So the Levi did it is hard to land on for me.

Well not the only one obviously lol but everyone is talking like the coaching staff told the players to defend the sideline which I very much doubt 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

All of your threads suck 😂

Actually 2 people (at least) posted asking about the squib kick Sunday and somehow it was moved.  I guess their threads and Bill Simmons sucks too by association....  Good to know. 

This is a Fan site is it not?

There was a reason Cincy squibbed it then....  And lo & behold it worked (time off the clock and returned short of the 25). 

But our Coaches are smarter?????? 

Edited by Billsfan1972

21 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I knew @LeviF had a part in this

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Actually 2 people (at least) posted asking about the squib kick Sunday and somehow it was moved.  I guess Bill Simmons sucks too by association....  Good to know. 

This is a Fan site is it not?

There was a reason Cincy squibbed it then....  And lo & behold it worked (time off the clock and returned short of the 25. 

But our Coaches are smarter?????? 

We don’t know how comfortable bass is with squibs though and it was a much different situation with the amount of time remaining on the clock assuming we are talking about the chiefs last drive before halftime.  Big special teams play is likely how you lose in the situation we were in and the odds of that are way higher when an up man can fall on the ball at the 40 

kicking it deep was the right call imo and then we blew the game for other reasons lol 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Really was no need for it as there was plenty of time and every other kick Cincy made was through the endzone.  

Yep not over it......😜

So is it your assumption that would have been the same result in KC? Five seconds off the clock? I highly doubt that. As soon as a KC player fielded the kick and gave himself up, the play would have been whistled dead. One, maybe two seconds at the most would have ticked off. 

Wouldn’t have mattered much anyway. KC had timeouts and they were getting three plays, regardless. 

Just now, K-9 said:

So is it your assumption that would have been the same result in KC? Five seconds off the clock? I highly doubt that. As soon as a KC player fielded the kick and gave himself up, the play would have been whistled dead. One, maybe two seconds at the most would have ticked off. 

Wouldn’t have mattered much anyway. KC had timeouts and they were getting three plays, regardless. 

Would have been at the 8 yard line and yes 2 seconds off the clock.

Maybe then the Bill DB's could have played 50 yards off the LOS (vs. only the 40 they did on Sunday)????😜

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

I’m over the kickoff.

Im more upset about the defense.

Cincinatti did for 2.5 quarters, what we couldn’t do for 13 seconds.

Actually I'm way more upset over the kickoff. It shouldn't have ever come down to 2 defensive stops. Just 1 hail mary. Stupid coaching......

11 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

We don’t know how comfortable bass is with squibs though and it was a much different situation with the amount of time remaining on the clock assuming we are talking about the chiefs last drive before halftime.  Big special teams play is likely how you lose in the situation we were in and the odds of that are way higher when an up man can fall on the ball at the 40 

kicking it deep was the right call imo and then we blew the game for other reasons lol 

We do know how good he was with the short kick to the 5-10 though, which always seemed to work.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.