Can Our D Become More Versatile in 2022? If So, How?

st pete gogolak

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yes. Get a new defensive coordinator. That’s about it. 

9 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Get more aggressive! 

I tired of Leslie's stoic conservative approach.  It doesn't work and half the time McD has to take over anyway. Unless we're playing Indy or Tenn, I'd love to see us rotate between 3 and 4 man fronts. Especially against younger and more athletic  qbs like Mahomes,  Burrow and Herbert.

12 hours ago, st pete gogolak said:

Kudos to the Bengals DC for the second half game plan against KC.  Playing a lot of 3 man fronts with a spy and man to man in the back was pretty brilliant.  Would our 2021 D even been capable of pulling that off?  All I saw all year long was 4 man front, some blitzes (we were middle of the pack on blitzing I believe) and two high safety zone, fairly soft zone at that.  Even in the first NE game, when NE is bringing in an extra OL and obviously emphasizing the run, we're playing our usual 4-2-5.  

Should we try to add some flexibility in 2022?  If we retain Frazier, could we?  One thought is that if we are retaining Edmunds, draft a run-stopping MLB in the middle rounds and play a 4-3 against run heavy teams with Edmunds outside.  Experiment with some 3 man fronts in the pre-season.  Something, anything, that would give our opponents something to think about.

Didn't the Bills successfully employ a 5-man D-line (a 5-2-4 with Edmunds aligned on the edge) against the 49ers in 2020? And didn't they often utilize 3 LBs against the Pats the 2nd time this year and again in the playoffs? I know those are only a few examples, but I think the failures-to-adjust often loom larger than the successes-to-do-so.

That being shared, I STRONGLY believe the Bills D is too damned predictable, especially in critical passing situations (which often decide games).  

25 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

Didn't the Bills successfully employ a 5-man D-line (a 5-2-4 with Edmunds aligned on the edge) against the 49ers in 2020? And didn't they often utilize 3 LBs against the Pats the 2nd time this year and again in the playoffs? I know those are only a few examples, but I think the failures-to-adjust often loom larger than the successes-to-do-so.

That being shared, I STRONGLY believe the Bills D is too damned predictable, especially in critical passing situations (which often decide games).  

The interesting thing about our defense with McD is we've consistently been one of the poorest tackling defenses in the league. Is that a function of having speedier LB and smaller DL than most? I doubt we're going to suddenly be good at tackling without some major changes to personnel.

We are usually middling in sacks but near the top in pressures. And in general, the Bills have a sound defense that can't be beat deep. I'm not sure we can ask for a whole lot more besides a top flight rusher to actually convert pressures into sacks. And that's easier said than done.

As far as the above bolded comment, we are still one of the top 3rd down defenses in football. We don't play passive - we usually go man and ramp up pressure on passing downs. I think there's some recency bias here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.