Ken Dorsey Promoted to OC

Mopreme

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/04/dion-dawkins-everything-starts-with-josh-allen-and-hes-most-comfortable-with-ken-dorsey/

“Everything starts with the quarterback and the fact that Josh is the most comfortable with Dorsey, the rest will all fall into place,” Dawkins said, via the team’s website. “Dorsey is a good dude. . . . If you notice every time we score, I find Dorsey and I sprint at him. It’s been a fun thing to do. It just shows that he’s relating to his players in a special way and now that we are officially his players, he’s already one step ahead.”

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/stefon-diggs-dion-dawkins-share-why-ken-dorsey-is-the-right-fit-as-buffalo-s-off

"He's a good coach," Diggs said. "He's been a good guy. I respect him. I feel like we've all built a relationship with our coaching staff even the guys that aren't in your room. Dorsey isn't in our room, but I still talk to Dorse every morning and make fun of him. So, I feel like it's something great we can build off of."

Edited by Jim Bob
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence😅

Yeah, Diggs saying stuff like "not only do I respect him, but I trust him" and "I don't think there will be any dropoff" and Diggs suggesting plays to "Dorse" and them being in the gameplan really sounds bad.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, Diggs saying stuff like "not only do I respect him, but I trust him" and "I don't think there will be any dropoff" and Diggs suggesting plays to "Dorse" and them being in the gameplan really sounds bad.

It isn’t any different from Daboll who listened to feedback from the players. I think it is fine to have open communication with the players as long the coach remains in charge and runs things the way he wants. Also, having experienced coaches in Brady and Kromer will help a first time play caller in Dorsey.

18 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

It isn’t any different from Daboll who listened to feedback from the players. I think it is fine to have open communication with the players as long the coach remains in charge and runs things the way he wants. Also, having experienced coaches in Brady and Kromer will help a first time play caller in Dorsey.

True and that's why Diggs probably feels like Dorsey won't be a step-down since he was passing game coordinator last year and had some say in the offense.

On 2/2/2022 at 8:45 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I think it was done to prepare him for Daboll leaving and he was always the succession plan. They thought Daboll would be hired last year and Dorsey I believe interviewed with other teams (lions?)for OC. When daboll returned, had to give Dorsey more responsibility and I’m sure a raise because he probably thought he would be OC last year.

I have only one reaction to Dorsey getting the job, and that's "Good."   McDermott's system, his plan, his - okay - process is to promote from within.  That's the plan because he wants each new season to take off from the last.   He wants continuity, so that he doesn't have to teach basics every season.   That's why Beane says they plug holes in free agency, but they build through the draft - the draft is where you get players for the long term.

So, when they promoted Dorsey, it means the system is working.  They had a guy in-house whom they've seen, evaluated, and who they think can do the job (they didn't give him the job just because he's been there - he got it because he's grown into it).

Now, does that mean Dorsey will be good at the job?   No, not necessarily.  But it's the way McDermott wants the system to work, and the system produced a quality candidate for the OC job.  That's a good thing. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I have only one reaction to Dorsey getting the job, and that's "Good."   McDermott's system, his plan, his - okay - process is to promote from within.  That's the plan because he wants each new season to take off from the last.   He wants continuity, so that he doesn't have to teach basics every season.   That's why Beane says they plug holes in free agency, but they build through the draft - the draft is where you get players for the long term.

So, when they promoted Dorsey, it means the system is working.  They had a guy in-house whom they've seen, evaluated, and who they think can do the job (they didn't give him the job just because he's been there - he got it because he's grown into it).

Now, does that mean Dorsey will be good at the job?   No, not necessarily.  But it's the way McDermott wants the system to work, and the system produced a quality candidate for the OC job.  That's a good thing. 

I think he'll promote from within when it's in the best interest of the team.  Wendell could have easily been made OL coach, but McD chose to go with Kromer.  And did Tierney go to the Giants because the Bills let him walk since they knew they were getting Joe Brady, or did he leave on his own?  I'd figure the former.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

I think he'll promote from within when it's in the best interest of the team.  Wendell could have easily been made OL coach, but McD chose to go with Kromer.  And did Tierney go to the Giants because the Bills let him walk since they knew they were getting Joe Brady, or did he leave on his own?  I'd figure the former.

I agree.  He's only promoting from within when it makes sense.  But that's why I was pleased with Dorsey - McD wants to do it, and its good to see that he liked Dorsey enough to do it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

This is really all very nice. But McD better get to the SB or someone else is gonna go shopping for groceries. 

14 hours ago, inaugural balls said:

This is really all very nice. But McD better get to the SB or someone else is gonna go shopping for groceries. 

Right, like the Bills are going to fire one of the most successful young coaches in the league.  

It's silly to spout this deliver-or-else stuff.  Aren't you watching?   Can't you see how good this team has become?   Can't you see how it's directly related to McDermott?  Can't you see how much the Pegulas love the guy?   

McDermott's going nowhere, at least not until he has two or three seasons under .500.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Shaw66 said:

Right, like the Bills are going to fire one of the most successful young coaches in the league.  

It's silly to spout this deliver-or-else stuff.  Aren't you watching?   Can't you see how good this team has become?   Can't you see how it's directly related to McDermott?  Can't you see how much the Pegulas love the guy?   

McDermott's going nowhere, at least not until he has two or three seasons under .500.

I don't get it. I mean part of me gets it because of all the Lindy Ruff and Regier debates I've had over the years. At least with those guys there was losing seasons.

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I see all that. 

He needs to coach this team in the SB next year or his seat gets hot.

We have the best freaking QB in the league. If McDermott can’t get us there, find me someone who can. 

Glad your’e satisfied. I am not. 

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.