Ken Dorsey Promoted to OC

Mopreme

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:
20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Look at Vic suddenly with his finger on the pulse of the entire NFL.  Or ball washing his golden goose, you make the call :)

Either way, only time will tell.  Josh is likely happy, so there's that! McCoach is a defensive guy who makes questionable in game decisions so Dorsey will need to be able to stand on his own two feet.

Edited by CodeMonkey

5 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Excellent.  Continuity, let's just hope the grooming of him and trust in him via passing game coordinator promotion last year was not misplaced. 

Also, I think he has a chance to stick around and work well with Sean Payton in 2023.

Not sure if you're joking but whoever wants Payton will probably have to give up a couple first rounders to the Saints. They will still have his rights.

1 hour ago, Lothar said:

Not sure if you're joking but whoever wants Payton will probably have to give up a couple first rounders to the Saints. They will still have his rights.

Lothar, you’ve been spending too much time up in the hills with your people. Old Art here is quickly distinguishing himself as a poster to steer clear of. 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, billsfan3482 said:

Continuity? Yeah thats something.  Josh Allen endorsed him, Ok they like each other.  If I had a friend or someone I was close with I want to work with him too.

I'm fine with promotions from within the organization.  But continuity and Allen likes him mean Nothing game time!!

If the bills are facing a defense thats giving us trouble, Will Dorsey be able to scheme around that and make on the spot changes?? Is Dorsey a creative thinker as far as Xs and Os?  I'm not talking trick plays and wild cat.  I'm assuming hes going to have his own complete new playbook??

I guess its a gamble either way, but I dont want our offense to drop off because were giving a first timer a shot.

Continuity means running the Erhardt-Perkins system Josh has spent 3 years in. Don’t underestimate the importance of that. Brady worked in that one offensive system most of his career. Now obviously there will be differences in play calling style with Dorsey, but the concepts will remain similar. Don’t want to install a new offense when you’re competing for a championship. 

• Agree 4

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Curious how he will differ from Dabol and will he be better?

Aren't we all?

IMHO...Daboll had a learning curve his first 2 years about situationally appropriate game management and play calling.

Given that Dorsey actually has experience playing QB in the NFL, it will be interesting to see if he brings a different perspective.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Do you guys think they will just promote Shea Tierney to take over the QB/coach position? Or if they’ll hire from outside of the organization? It seems that he is lacking quite a bit in experience, but maybe they want continuity? Guess we all start somewhere. Any news here?

There are rumors saying that Shea Tierney and (I believe, assistant OL coach) Ryan Wendell will follow Daboll to the NY Giants.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2022/02/nfl-rumors-giants-brian-daboll-bringing-position-coach-with-him-from-bills.html

I don't know how grounded they were - obviously, the rumors that Dorsey would follow him as his OC were wrong, but the rumors about Bobby Johnson were correct (Bobby Johnson is still pictured on the Bills web page and labeled as OL coach).

I would think they might want Dorsey to take on an OL coach and a QB coach with more experience than Tierney and Wendell.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I'm keenly interested in those two 3rd-and-shorts against KC where the Bills ran the ball unsuccessfully and then punted; would Dorsey call those situations differently knowing he's got Josh Freaking Allen at QB in an elimination game? Would they still take the ball out of his hands? Would they still run on 3rd without also planning to go for it on 4th? Oftentimes a 3rd-and-short run pairs with a 4th down attempt. 

How will Dorsey and McD synch up on these situational play calls/sequences? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Probably Frazier with the most pressure… He’d be the first guy fired if the Bills defense is a sieve for the third year in a row in the playoffs next year. 

Possible.  But his philosophy and McD’s lines up.  They want to get home with 4.  When it works they win. When it doesn’t and they play explosive players they can lose.  Hopefully, development of those young plates happens and Beane gets a couple more athletic reinforcements.

4 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Continuity means running the Erhardt-Perkins system Josh has spent 3 years in. Don’t underestimate the importance of that. Brady worked in that one offensive system most of his career. Now obviously there will be differences in play calling style with Dorsey, but the concepts will remain similar. Don’t want to install a new offense when you’re competing for a championship. 

Thats the only thing I care about. Check my recepits

Happy with this.  

Dorsey won’t be perfect right away.  Will take some time to acclimate to being in charge of the entire offense.  Probably a perfect time for such a change in OC though.  Josh is doing great and can help make up for any learning curve issues by Dorsey.    

Very happy Dorsey stayed and we continue to promote from within. Continuity and Josh's involvement in the decision making process are key and glad that the Bills prioritized that (the kind of influence Rodgers has never been granted in GB). Still very curious why we interviewed two West Coast guys for OC, that would have been a disaster IMO. 

Now work on keeping Chad Hall and then hire a proven O-line coach who will use a gap blocking scheme and more of those pin and pull blocks that we found success with late in 2021. Enough of the zone blocking, it doesn't play to our o-line's strengths. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.