Ken Dorsey Promoted to OC

Mopreme

46 minutes ago, Greg S said:

No surprise. Got to keep the boss (#17) happy.

I'm interested to know if they hired Dorsey because he was the best one for the job or because JA wanted him.  Perhaps it was a combination of both.  

Still, players have more say in the direction of coaching hires and free agent signings.  

At the same time, the easy hire isn't always the best.  These jobs aren't about checking boxes...but we'll see how it goes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Utah John said:

This will keep Josh happy, but who knows if Dorsey is ready for this job.  Did he ever sit down with Daboll and talk about the thought process Daboll used to call plays?

Fingers crossed this all works out, and Dorsey's offense isn't so predictable that opposing DCs can scheme up ways to stop it.

For crissake.  The stuff I read on here...

No, Utah John, Dorsey just got Josh's and Daboll's coffee and said "yes sir, right away sir" for three years.  It's not like he has been in the NFL for 14 years or anything, or played college football at the highest level.

Pretty sure he texted Daboll for the play sheet this afternoon so he's prepared for the job.

:doh:

• Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsVet said:

I'm interested to know if they hired Dorsey because he was the best one for the job or because JA wanted him.  Perhaps it was a combination of both.  

Still, players have more say in the direction of coaching hires and free agent signings.  

At the same time, the easy hire isn't always the best.  These jobs aren't about checking boxes...but we'll see how it goes. 

I havent seen a better option proposed in any of the threads or articles. It's slim pickins out there with everyone after young Offensive-minded coaches. Heck, Mike Shula's name was thrown around. 🤮

Any better ideas you know of?

12 minutes ago, Utah John said:

This will keep Josh happy, but who knows if Dorsey is ready for this job.  Did he ever sit down with Daboll and talk about the thought process Daboll used to call plays?

Fingers crossed this all works out, and Dorsey's offense isn't so predictable that opposing DCs can scheme up ways to stop it.

I found it interesting that McDermott interviewed him for OC back in 2017. He’s probably been ready for a few years. I’m sure he has talked with Daboll about his play calling thought  process since he was the passing game coordinator. 

• Like (+1) 5

35 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

1. When you have set offensive franchise records two years in a row and have been near the top of the league in offensive yards and scoring, the "status quo" in offensive philosophy seems kinda like the way to go.

2. Keeping continuity in offensive philosophy does not mean in any way that it can't also be even better

The "status quo" of using JA as our feature go-to RB won't be "status quo" for a long career or for full injury free seasons. Bills are not a college team where qb's are disposable....Bills can be smart and prtect their biggest investment....or use him to pick up 3 and 1 becuase they can't seem to come up with anything clever...

3 minutes ago, eball said:

For crissake.  The stuff I read on here...

No, Utah John, Dorsey just got Josh's and Daboll's coffee and said "yes sir, right away sir" for three years.  It's not like he has been in the NFL for 14 years or anything, or played college football at the highest level.

Pretty sure he texted Daboll for the play sheet this afternoon so he's prepared for the job.

:doh:

Haha. Some people have nothing to add, but they need to add something anyway. You see it in every thread. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

At this point does it matter?  Allen is the franchise.  He wants his Qb coach as the Oc make it happen.  Keep him happy.

6 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

hows Dorseys run game philosophy?   im not worried about the passing game,  im sure that Josh and the WRs could call their own plays and still be successful.   i want to know about the running game.

I think that will be determined by the OL coach that is brought in.....I'm sure he will have a say in some of the run game concepts, right?

Just now, TH3 said:

The "status quo" of using JA as our feature go-to RB won't be "status quo" for a long career or for full injury free seasons. Bills are not a college team where qb's are disposable....Bills can be smart and prtect their biggest investment....or use him to pick up 3 and 1 becuase they can't seem to come up with anything clever...

Just because we run Josh doesnt mean he's taking big hits. Quite the opposite actually. Dude is juking players out of their cleats, getting down or out of bounds, and even when he is tackled isnt taking big shots. More defenders have been injured trying to tackle Josh, than Josh has been injured getting tackled.

Sure the risk is always there, but I think you are overplaying it a bit. We should always have Josh's running abilities as an option. It creates mismatches, and keeps the D thinking.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Very happy to hear this. It made far more sense for Dorsey to take the Bills job and be an offensive coordinator under a defensive head coach with a great QB in a system you know than it would be to be under an offensive head coach in Daboll with bad offensive talent. I wasn't too inspired by the possible OC choices, going in house with Josh's QB coach seemed like the best idea and I am glad they were able to get Dorsey to stay.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

At this point does it matter?  Allen is the franchise.  He wants his Qb coach as the Oc make it happen.  Keep him happy.

Ya...I think I read that in a Harvard Business Case in grad school...."Let your employees run the show" 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

As you mentioned its probably a little bit of both. McDermott wouldn't have promoted him if he didn't think he was qualified. Josh speaks highly of him as well. I am sure Dorsey was involved with Daboll with game planning during the season in their meetings. The offense probably won't change much (why fix it if it isn't broken) with exception of a few tweaks Dorsey may want to install. Continuity is good for the offense especially Josh.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.