Tom Brady Officially is RETIRED

muppy

Brady had 3 SB wins at age 37. That's what blows my mind. 

MOST of his SB wins came after age 37, which is why his SB rings probably will never be surpassed. As great as KC has been, for example, they have 1 ring to show for it. That's normal. What NE did was insane!

As amazing as NE was in their prime, as seemingly unbeatable, they only netted 3 SB rings by the time Brady was 37. If he had a typical QB career he would play at 38 and 39, maybe 40, have a few moments but noticeably decline and retire at age 40 or 41 with 3 SB titles and nowhere near any of the all time passing records. Totally different career, although still all-time great with 3 rings. 

It took the tuck rule, Lee Evans dropping an easy TD pass, Marshawn Lynch not getting a goal line handoff, Atlanta blowing a 25 point lead, a kicker nailing 3 last minute FGs, and so much more that had to go right. 

Brady was great, had an all-time great HC, some HOF level teammates, AND some amazing luck as well. You need all that. 

You have to get to a ton of Super Bowls to win them. Anything can happen in a single game. Just get to the big show.

If Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes played in 10 super Bowls I'll bet they win 5 for sure. 

But you need to get there first.

• Dislike 1

Good news, bad news on this.

First, the good news: every single all-time, career, and single season record will be broken by this new crop of QBs, especially since there are 17 games now to pile up stats.

Bad news... I can't see anyone getting to 7 Super Bowl wins. You have to play until you're 44-45 to do that, because the competition is just too good to get there enough times otherwise. 

Like I said, if Josh Allen played in 10 Super Bowls I think we'd almost be a little disappointed with "just" 5 wins. 

I'll still say that IMO Peyton Manning was the GOAT. Best QB ever. He still owns the single season passing yards and TD records. But he only has 2 rings, so that detracts from his GOAT argument. 

Super Bowl wins are a team accomplishment (is Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino?) but it's hoe you're judged as a QB. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

24 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I watched the Bucs playoff game with a buddy of mine who is a huge Bucs fan and we both kinda felt like you could tell that was going to be his last game.  He looked done.  If you can watch that game on gamepass or something you'll see a look, or expression on his face that I'v enever seen before.  It was like he was just worn out.

Actually, the more I think of it, Jim Kelly had a similar look on his face after the loss to the Jags.  It was obvious Jim was done and had nothing left in the tank.

Tommy would have been done 8 years earlier if played in that era.

The hits took a toll on poor Jim. I'll never forget I was at home game against Indy and the fans started a "We want Collins chant". People were stupid back then too

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

First, the good news: every single all-time, career, and single season record will be broken by this new crop of QBs, especially since there are 17 games now to pile up stats.

Bad news... I can't see anyone getting to 7 Super Bowl wins. You have to play until you're 44-45 to do that, because the competition is just too good to get there enough times otherwise. 

Like I said, if Josh Allen played in 10 Super Bowls I think we'd almost be a little disappointed with "just" 5 wins. 

I'll still say that IMO Peyton Manning was the GOAT. Best QB ever. He still owns the single season passing yards and TD records. But he only has 2 rings, so that detracts from his GOAT argument. 

Super Bowl wins are a team accomplishment (is Trent Dilfer better than Dan Marino?) but it's hoe you're judged as a QB. 

Seattle, Atlanta, and **** had a part in those SB victories as well. They had a lot go their way . . . it's always seemed to me the inverse Buffalo Bills law. The football gods made us pay the karmic price for all that good fortune, not that I'm bitter or anything.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

His play in the playoffs dropped off from his play in the reg seasons. 

32 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

That's where I'm at.  I don't like Brady, but I grew to respect his accomplishments, and what he continued to do the past two years at his age is just unbelievable.  He was smart to go out on top while he still had some ability left, instead of being shown the door as a shell of his former self.  

I will admit being a little sad since I could still pretend I was "young", so long as an old fart like Brady was out there tossing TDs and making the playoffs. 

We'll never see another qb like him in our lifetime. 10 SB appearances and 7 rings.  Just insane. Maybe now the devil will be expecting pay.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.