Don't be surprised if Josh Allen has a bumpy 2022

beebe

I'm not agreeing that Allen will definitively have a regression next season...but i did take away something from Beane's presser.  He indicated that they tried to dial back some of his running during the season to save his body. It was short lived as Buffalo was scrambling to lock in the playoffs, win the division in the final 5-6 games and Josh started running again like crazy.  Then in the playoffs he said anything goes to try to win the games.

I just think there will be a bigger emphasis on Josh to either run out of bounds or throw the ball away in 2022.  Wouldn't be surprised if his stats are less impressive.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, beebe said:

All this to say: Josh Allen is about to start getting the Mahomes Treatment. Every team on Buffalo's schedule is going to spend extra time studying him and finding ways to beat him. And someone - perhaps Belichick, but maybe someone else - will find something that works. And every team will copy it. Doesn't mean they'll shut him down. Doesn't mean the Bills will start losing to teams like the Jets and Dolphins. But there will be turbulence, and I suspect you will see him go through a slump and his numbers will decline in 2022. 

Okay I'll bite - Allen is already getting the Mahomes treatment of a two deep safety shell. The difference is that Allen's otherworldly arm talent and his running ability can negate that defense. 

I think most of the Bills "turbulence" we saw this year had less to do with Allen and a lot to do with a franchise learning how to be consistent at the top of the heap. This is why the comparisons to 1989 are so apt.  The Bills had to shed their underdog image and learn to win ugly when they were the favorites.  Their season ending four game winning streak to claim the division title included astonishing performances by Allen twice against NE. And then the loss to KC which was simply a fluke with Allen again playing almost flawlessly.

Next season Allen will struggle a couple of times but the Bills will win ugly because they now know what it means not to get home field advantage.  Allen will shine in most of his games next season.  I think he will be the front runner to win the MVP.  I don't see Allen struggling next year I see him growing fully into the best QB in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

jeez maybe a new head mind and a new offensive scheme actually fires him up and helps him raise up to even another level.

Half full. Half empty. My days of viewing the Bills as half empty are over!

It's funny how creative these Allen "hate" threads have become.  And I do mean HATE. Oh sure they couch their words carefully and throw out some insincere praise - "Allen is good BUT........" - still it's clear they're throwing shade at Allen and trying not to look completely ridiculous in doing it.

Sure anything can happen next year. But how can any thinking Bills fan not be optimistic about our QB situation?  I just don't get it.

10 hours ago, beebe said:

Allen was a 4th-and-13 incompletion away from finishing 22-of-30 for 227 yards and two TDs vs Chiefs, with 75 yards coming on a blown coverage on a deep pass. Five of eight drives would have ended with a punt or turnover on downs. Obviously, he completed the pass, deserves all the credit in the world for how the Bills closed in that game, and was largely responsible for making the game so memorable. But there was probably a 1-in-4 chance of converting there—even with Dan Sorensen on the field—and the offseason narrative would be much different. 

Now you've lost all credibility.  Judas Priest are you serious here?

• Thank you (+1) 1

If they do bring in a new OC other than Dorsey i would think that Josh having a down season might be a good possibility because the offensive scheme could be totally different which is 1 reason why i wouldn't mind seeing Dorsey take over because he knows the verbiage & could keep some things the same while implementing change at the same time .

10 hours ago, beebe said:

Allen was a 4th-and-13 incompletion away from finishing 22-of-30 for 227 yards and two TDs vs Chiefs, with 75 yards coming on a blown coverage on a deep pass. Five of eight drives would have ended with a punt or turnover on downs. Obviously, he completed the pass, deserves all the credit in the world for how the Bills closed in that game, and was largely responsible for making the game so memorable. But there was probably a 1-in-4 chance of converting there—even with Dan Sorensen on the field—and the offseason narrative would be much different. 

Nick, Nick Wright, is that you man?  Boy you must be real pissed off the way the Chiefs and Mahomes choked in the 2nd half against the Bengals.  I would be to if Allen wet the bed in the same way.

Still got Diggs Davis and Knox. The language will stay the same in the offense.  The new aspects to the offense will make for a hot start imo.  Having a new mind and eyeballs will push Allen to be even better.  Daboll is good but  he is not Bill Walsh or Vince Lombardi.  

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, beebe said:

It would be like having a PGA Tour event where half the field plays in perfect weather while the other half tees off in 30 MPH wind and pouring rain. Gee, I wonder who will come out on top? 

They do.  It's called The Open Championship.  It's played every year in the UK and on at least one of the four days, the morning pairings play an entirely different course than the one the afternoon groups are faced with.woods_tiger640.jpg

I haven't read through the six pages of conversation before posting this, but...

All of the "Josh is going to have a tough 2021!" predictions seemed to work out pretty well for Josh, all things considered, so let's keep this tradition going.

I suggest someone start one of these threads before every season from now until Josh retires. Don't wanna mess up a good thing.

11 hours ago, beebe said:

And if Mahomes repeats his second half performance from Sunday ad infinitum, he'll go down as the worst SB winning quarterback in NFL history!

This post was more fitting after last season and Josh Allen along with the offense did have problems early in the 2021 season.

My take is the bigger problem with the offense is now with the NY Giants. Brian Daboll's failure to build a solid run game for most of the season led to a lot of poor performances against some teams.

Anyone else recall that 6-9 loss to the lowly 2-6 Jacksonville Jaguars who had the 30th ranked defense. Josh Allen under pressure all game, 4x  sacks on Allen while under duress the entire game. What was the answer from the OC? Just keep throwing, 47 passing attempts vs 9 runs from Buffalo RB's.

Yes, the 2021 Buffalo Bills beat up on some bad teams and some with back up QB's, Miami, the Jets, Washington, Houston, NO Saints, Carolina with Cam Newton. 

However, that cover 2 shell defense was kryptonite to the Bills offense and the Bills OC had no answer. Teams had figured out how to stop, slow down that "one dimensional" Buffalo passing offense.

Now, the Bills offense took off in the second half of that Tampa Bay game and didn't look back. Their offensive line play improved. The Bills OC finally decided to give the Bills RBs more than a few carries a game.

I suspect that the new Buffalo Bills OC run a more balanced offensive scheme like we saw after that Tampa game.

What the Bengals did to Mahomes was rush only 3. drop 8 into coverage. 

"By naturally clogging throwing lanes with eight in coverage, spying the quarterback, simulating pressure with corner blitzes, and allowing Bell -- and occasionally fellow safety Bates -- to roam free over the middle, Mahomes and the Chiefs were epically perplexed. It was a master class in proper defensive adjustment by coordinator Lou Anarumo, and his players executed fantastically."

Let's hope that any new Buffalo OC will understand how to defeat that scheme. 

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Eh, I get it, the Bengals got it done. Still no one can effectively watch the second half of that game and say KC played their best ball. Kudos to Cincy, they did what they had to do, not their fault Mahomes had a bad game.

If you look at Cincys 3 playoff opponents though they got really fortunate. Raiders committed more penalties than known to man, and Cincy got a TD after a whistle.

Tannehill imploded, Mahomes played like junk. I'm sour because the Bills didn't have the same luck, we got 110% Mahomes. 

I'm glad for the Bengals, not happy,  but Glad.

You would be correct if this was true.  But obviously it's not. 

Mahomes was on fire and was plowing his team through the Cincy D to the tune of 3 TD passes on the first 3 possessions in 25 min of football.  Then the Cincy D made proper adjustments and shut down the passing game in the second half.  Then Mahomes led them on a 14 play game tying drive in regulation. 

2 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Are you a joke? Never mind…Listen to some local chatter about the Bengals staff for the last 2 years and get back to me. The chiefs puked all over themselves

"I know you are, but what am I"...is a solid comeback.  Kudos.

Anyway, maybe that's a strategy the Bills coaching staff should adapt if they want to get this team into a SB...

11 hours ago, beebe said:

But he DID make that throw. Because he's extraordinary. And he's made those 3rd or 4th down plays his entire career. It's just your first time being exposed to it, you think it's some sort of miracle. 

How many yards would Mahomes have if Hill didn't have 4.2 speed after the catch? Or these questions don't apply to Mahomes? Of course not. 

I got a very original one. What if the Chiefs lost the coin toss?

I'm sorry Allen ruined your dynasty party. You want Mahomes alone at the top. But life isn't fair. There's always somebody better. Mahomes newest test will be dealing with being 2nd best for the next 10 years. Or worse once Kelce loses a step. Don't be surprised if Mahomes has a bumpy 2022 if that happens. 

Mahomes didn't get "figured out," he had a bad half of football. If Mahomes was just slightly above average, the Chiefs could easily be in Super Bowl.  I think it's a very good bet Mahomes will again be a MVP canddiate next year. Same story for Allen. Talent is talent.

For those who think the NFL has "figured out" Lamar Jackson, I believe a healthy LJ is still extremely dangerous and a potential Top 5 QB. 

1 hour ago, T master said:

If they do bring in a new OC other than Dorsey i would think that Josh having a down season might be a good possibility because the offensive scheme could be totally different which is 1 reason why i wouldn't mind seeing Dorsey take over because he knows the verbiage & could keep some things the same while implementing change at the same time .

T I trust that NO OC the Bills bring into the fold will want to do anything but enhance the positives we had and not completely change the scheme. I think if it aint broke don't fix it, know what I mean?

as far as the KC fan coming here to give his negative take all I can say is Bookmark this thread and we shall see who has the final and ultimate scoreboard regarding #17........he having an off year reads to me like a beebe wet dream just sayin'

m

Edited by muppy
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.