Don't be surprised if Josh Allen has a bumpy 2022

beebe

I think Allen will be on a mission next year and will take the league by storm. Yes, he'll have some down quarters here and there, but I think he is going to take full command of that offense.

I think it will be the best Josh Allen season yet.

Does that mean the Bills will win the Superbowl next year? Maybe. Maybe not. It takes so much to get to the Superbowl and win it. But no team has a better shot than the Bills next year. Some may have just as good of a shot, though. The AFC is becoming a monster.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, beebe said:

He's referring to Mathieu (injury on opening series) and Fenton (key DB for Chiefs). Both were hugely important. Mathieu's absence led to the terrible Dan Sorensen being on the field; and Fenton's injury enabled Mike Hughes to play significant snaps. He got absolutely torched. 

Mathieu and Fenton both returned vs Bengals. Sorensen played just 12 snaps, Hughes played just one. 

Quite honestly, reading this forum, I would expect nothing less than 5000 yards, 40 TDs and single-digit INTs from Allen in 2022. 🙂

Those numbers aren't uncharted territory in this league anymore. I expect that his numbers will approach that, simply because I expect him to adapt faster to what DCs throw at him than he did this past year. His processing should continue to improve.

In other words, it really doesn't matter what defense they put out there- you can always get them out of it, if you understand the situation. I expect he'll be better at said understanding next year.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

When I read your OP, I was like "OK, maybe he wants to have a discussion"

When I read the part about how it didn't bother you that your team lost, I :flirt:

When I read the part about how we're going to lose to the Chiefs in the playoffs next year, I was like "now that's some trolling"

When I read the part about "I said it didn't bother me, to be clear. It's obviously disappointing. But so disappointing that I'll spend a week dwelling on it? Nope. The Chiefs have essentially been the host city of the AFC title game for four straight years. They'll have more chances. Losses are easy to stomach when the opponent was deserving. The Bengals outplayed them and won despite losing the OT coin toss. Tip your cap and move on.", I said:

>>>Now That's Some Trolling<<<

Kudos for having the balls to call a moderator "psychotic" for trotting out the Old Chestnut joke about Mom Dad and the Picnic, but the trolling is getting a bit out of hand.  If it's truly unintentional, try to look at where you are and what you're writing from another POV

PS you can't "respectfully" tell someone they're psychotic.  That doesn't work.

Clock does not run during 2 point conversion, just like it doesn't run during extra point.  Sorry.

And failed attempt they still kickoff with 13 secs.  Yea think they should have gone for 2 pts and gotten it.  If they fail lose on fg not much different than the ot loss. 

3 hours ago, beebe said:

Allen was a 4th-and-13 incompletion away from finishing 22-of-30 for 227 yards and two TDs vs Chiefs, with 75 yards coming on a blown coverage on a deep pass. Five of eight drives would have ended with a punt or turnover on downs. Obviously, he completed the pass, deserves all the credit in the world for how the Bills closed in that game, and was largely responsible for making the game so memorable. But there was probably a 1-in-4 chance of converting there—even with Dan Sorensen on the field—and the offseason narrative would be much different. 

That's a weak argument. You could say that about any player in any game. If he just didn't make that play then.... Like if Harris didn't break that 69 yard run in the wind game we would've beat the Pats***, Billy boy wouldn't have looked like a genius for throwing only 3 times and we would've had home field advantage against the Chiefs. See the narratives changed.

Or if Mahomes didn't have those 13 seconds he wouldn't have gone 8/8 for 113 yards and a TD from that point forward.  What do you think the odds are of tying that game up with 13 seconds to go? I can tell you the previous 62 teams to go down 3 with 13 seconds to go all lost. His stats would've been pretty average also had it not happened, he would've lost the game and the narrative on the 2 QBs and the 2 teams would've changed. The talk would've been the king had been dethroned.

If Josh doesn't slip on 4th diwn against Tennessee we probably would've won, got the 1 seed with a bye and home field advantage throughout the playoffs. I could go on and on with what ifs.

Also the coverage wasn't blown on the 75 yard pass, Josh looked off the safety and Gabe beat him deep when the CB handed Gabe off to him.

• Like (+1) 2

Teams have been trying to figure out to stop great QBs for years.  The thing is, the great ones adapt.  Look at both Allen and Maholmes this year, the 2 deep shell was killing them early, they figured it out and destroyed teams that tried it until they came out of it.  There’s only so much you can do, especially with the rules all favoring the O.  If JA struggles this year it would be far more likely he has an issue with the new OC.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, beebe said:

I said it didn't bother me, to be clear. It's obviously disappointing. But so disappointing that I'll spend a week dwelling on it? Nope. The Chiefs have essentially been the host city of the AFC title game for four straight years. They'll have more chances. Losses are easy to stomach when the opponent was deserving. The Bengals outplayed them and won despite losing the OT coin toss. Tip your cap and move on.

thought you left

• Haha (+1) 1

I wouldn't be surprised if he has career bests in all his #'s

Why would this regime take a step backwards?

With JA17 at QB every OC that needs a job will be applying....they will have so many that they will be turning them away without an interview.

The next guy(OC) takes us over the hump to the #1 seed and ultimately the SB  :)

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No.

1. Machines was spanking the Bengals in the first half.  A SMART coaching staff made an effective halftime adjustment.

2. Teams have had plenty of time to come Iup with a “Mahomes Treatment” for Josh.  Their results are known.

The first two years those adjustments worked.

The last two years not so much.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

I think Allen will be on a mission next year and will take the league by storm. Yes, he'll have some down quarters here and there, but I think he is going to take full command of that offense.

I think it will be the best Josh Allen season yet.

Does that mean the Bills will win the Superbowl next year? Maybe. Maybe not. It takes so much to get to the Superbowl and win it. But no team has a better shot than the Bills next year. Some may have just as good of a shot, though. The AFC is becoming a monster.

The Bills need the #1 seed. I don't think there is a team that is more dependent on the home field and crowd than the Bills. In the McDermott era they are 3-0 at home in the playoffs and 0-4 on the road. Last Bills road playoff win was the 93 AFCCG over Miami. Since then 9 losses in a row on the road. If they get the #1 seed they will go to the Super Bowl. If not then history shows it won't happen. IMHO

8 hours ago, beebe said:

Allen was a 4th-and-13 incompletion away from finishing 22-of-30 for 227 yards and two TDs vs Chiefs, with 75 yards coming on a blown coverage on a deep pass. Five of eight drives would have ended with a punt or turnover on downs. Obviously, he completed the pass, deserves all the credit in the world for how the Bills closed in that game, and was largely responsible for making the game so memorable. But there was probably a 1-in-4 chance of converting there—even with Dan Sorensen on the field—and the offseason narrative would be much different. 

You realize the statistical models for the last 13 seconds of regulation had the Chiefs at less than 5% for a victory right? So let's dispense with the shoulda-woulda-couldas.

Here's one though: Allen wouldn't have ***** all over himself against the Bengals at home. 

Just now, teef said:

will someone call me when we start discussing the psychology of having fans in the stands or whether it's bad for the bills to have homefield advantage in the playoffs?  

Considering how they suck on the road in the playoffs. I would say lets give the homefield advantage thing a try.

I think there might be some bumps and adjustments, but I think that Josh will adjust quickly.  One of his best assets is his ability to learn.  Young quarterbacks often go through a period of success but then have to adjust.  Some do, some don't.  Baker was great his rookie year, but he still hasn't been able to change once the defense learns how to play him.  On the other hand, do you remember 2 years ago with Josh playing the Patriots? Bellichick went cover zero and Josh couldn't handle it.  Now, teams don't dare to go cover zero on Josh, he'll destroy them.  (Actually, I seem to remember that some team recently tried cover zero and got torched for a touchdown.  Might have been the Patriots.)  So then he couldn't play in weather or struggled against cover 2....but he quickly adjusted and then was great at these.  So, it is very difficult to take something away from him.  He'll quickly learn to make that defense an advantage.

Chiefs fans lol.  So basically the OP's thought process was as follows:

"Man I love my Chiefs...we're going to the Super Bowl as soon as we crush these Bengals"..."wait we just gave up a 21-3 lead and we lost?!?!?!?"...."I am devastated...I know!  I'll go over to the Bills message board and start a thread telling them they shouldn't get their hopes up for next year...that'll make me feel better!"

Sad.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.