YOUR choice for OC and WHY

BuffaloBillyG

26 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I don't have a person in mind because truthfully I don't know what makes an offensive coordinator a good hire vs a bad one at a competency level. I would however prefer someone with playcalling experience who is known for a dynamic offensive philosophy and who caters more to the strengths of the players than a person who slams down a book and says "this is the offense I run".

I don't want us to have to train someone on the job. We're ready to win now, so let's roll.

You judge a tree by its fruit.. Players they’ve worked with and developed.. Where their units ranked in the league statistically.. Coaches they’ve worked with.. Experience etc..

1 minute ago, Beast said:

Dorsey or Chad Hall. Someone that has been in the film rooms, practice fields and games with everyone already.

Being there doesn't mean they can do the job well. Which is why I asked this post focus more on externals than Dorsey and Hall. Because everyone's biggest fear is change...even if it has the possibility of being a better situation in the long run.

• Like (+1) 2

Have you watched Chad hall on the sidelines.   Players love him due to his energy and continuous celebration.   Over emotional may not be a good trait when having to make quick decisions on next play.  If upstairs maybe he would be more settled.  A real wild card for me. 

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

How about wr coach for Edgar if turns out that way? For me I'd take anyone who helps the Bills out.

I’d be fine..like I said, most fans and media really have no idea how a playcaller will do.  We can guess but won’t really have an idea until we get into the season.  

If you look at Daboll’s past you could say he was an uninspired hire as OC.  I remember everyone cited his run to pass ratio as evidence why he was going to ground and pound.  Didn’t happen.  

So we have no idea…. I think many of use prefer Dorsey or Hall just because we know them

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Was a new thread necessary on this?  There was already one covering it, plus 2 more on each OC candidate.  

I actually did not see a thread on external hire choices. I saw 2 threads about people saying the 2 guys announced so far are wrong...so I was curious who everyone thought was right. If it's something to be merged with one of them, I'm certain the mods will so their duty. They are pretty good at that sorta thing!

Doug Pederson - Why? Because he got the most out of Carson Wentz, he made Doug Foles (A career journeyman, who's done nothing since leaving the Eagles)a Super Bowl winner. Pederson also is a Super Bowl winning head coach, who coached an aggressive offensive style that Allen would love. He went on 4th downs plays/2 point conversions long before it popular, and Eagles players played hard for him. Plus, if/when McDermott cannot get the Bills to the promise land, Bills would have a Super Bowl coach in house!!  Sign Him. Bills can't risk giving the OC job to a neophyte. Bills time is NOW!!  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Sean Payton said it well.  ‘Mahomes and Allen are the best at off schedule plays.”

You need a OC who will continue to allow/encourage off schedule plays.

not all OCs are agreeable.  Some are “my system or the high way.” Or “I want the ball coming out at his exact moment and thrown to this exact spot.”

Not all OCs are giddy to dial up the QB Dive up the middle out of the spread formation.

You need an OC with a more modern philosophy and flexible personality and average ego.

I agree.  And while I did not mind Daboll, I think his biggest asset was letting Josh be Josh.  Outside of that, I did not see a lot of creativity out of him.  There was no dynamic running game, little screen game, and little for Diggs over the middle.  Continuity is good IMO, but I'd like to see some creative planning that takes some of the burden off Allen.  I mean he rode Allen to a head coaching gig so that's great, but I think there is lots of room for improvement in game planning with the right person.

• Agree 1

Bennett and Martin are the only named candidates

Dorsey and Hall are the assumed candidates

Between those 4 - I am tempted to go with Dorsey though Bennett has more experience. This would be a move out of continuity vs knowing Dorsey is better. We are all just guessing if we think we know who is best of these 4 names.

Some names we have not heard yet that we know:

Doug Pederson - Heard of him. Had some decent years without a Josh Allen talent.

Dave Culley - worked with Allen. Kind of blah. 

Bill OBrien - Good offensive coach, not a good GM. Would he want to be an OC or wait for an HC gig?

Mike Leach - If we are worried about going conservative. Leach will have Allen throwing 50 times a game. 

Edited by ngbills
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, since79 said:

Have you watched Chad hall on the sidelines.   Players love him due to his energy and continuous celebration.   Over emotional may not be a good trait when having to make quick decisions on next play.  If upstairs maybe he would be more settled.  A real wild card for me. 

Again, aa said in OP...looking for external names mainly. However let me say this...ever see Matt Barkley on the sideline? Team loved having him. However there was a better external choice out there potentially so the Bills took it. Same could happen with OC. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Sean Payton said it well.  ‘Mahomes and Allen are the best at off schedule plays.”

You need a OC who will continue to allow/encourage off schedule plays.

not all OCs are agreeable.  Some are “my system or the high way.” Or “I want the ball coming out at his exact moment and thrown to this exact spot.”

Not all OCs are giddy to dial up the QB Dive up the middle out of the spread formation.

You need an OC with a more modern philosophy and flexible personality and average ego.

This would explain Tee Martin as his time with the Ravens involved a lot of off schedule pass plays.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Being there doesn't mean they can do the job well. Which is why I asked this post focus more on externals than Dorsey and Hall. Because everyone's biggest fear is change...even if it has the possibility of being a better situation in the long run.

No matter who they hore doesn't mean they will do the job well.

Edited by Beast

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.