Bills request to interview Tee Martin for OC Job

17islongenough

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't think this is a Rooney rule interview imo, they could have interviewed any candidates they wanted to. Obviously coaches know way more than we do about coaches who are ready for an upgrade. I'm not going to act like I know if he's done anything great or not but the Bills respected him enough to give him the first crack at an interview. 

Also a fun side note on Tee Martin.... He is the father of GB rookie WR Amari Rogers who changed his name to his moms maiden name so he could get offers on his own without using his Dad's name who's pretty highly regarded in the College community for what he did at Tennessee.

Another fun fact, Tee Higgins the WR from Bengals got his name because of QB Tee Higgins (from his mom) but is of no relation. He's from TN, college football is a thing there.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He is a former college and NFL QB 

He has been a coach at the elite 11 football camps for the top HS QBs in the country 

He currently runs his own QB camp 

And has trained many D1 QBs as well 

He has a lot experience with QBs despite being a WR coach 

Thanks!!!  I was NOT aware of this.  Makes sense and I am happy the Bills braintrust is moving forward on this.

2 minutes ago, 2003Contenders said:

There is a part of me that likes the notion of bringing in an up-and-comer like Martin. However, with defensive-minded MCD at HC would prefer someone a bit more experienced. Good news is that with Josh, the OC position in Buffalo should be viewed favorably, so we should see a quality pool of candidates.

Agree thinking lots of candidates out there.

Bills should be wise to take there time.

5 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

From what I see on wiki, he was the OC/WR coach for 3 years at USC. He’s worked with some great coaches, the Bills could do a lot worse. I can’t say for sure whether I would hire him or not until I see the other candidates.

Exactly...I hate how every time the Bills interview a minority candidate, people have to jump on here and dismiss the guy as a Rooney rule interview.....it’s ignorant perspectives like this that make the Rooney rule necessary in the first place.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't know absolutely anything about Tee Martin as a candidate, but it's not going to stop me from LOUDLY PROCLAIMING STRONGLY WORDED DECLARATIONS OF OPINION AND DECRYING ANYONE WHO DARES TO DISAGREE WITH ME!!!!!!!

We’ll have to agree to disagree…

Some other interesting stuff from his wiki page...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tee_Martin

USC

...News of his hiring at USC was broken by a tweet by quarterback Matt Barkley...

Personal Life

Martin owns Playmakers Sports, a company specializing in sports event planning, quarterback training, and skills development[20] and is a college football expert on Comcast Sports Southeast program Talkin' Football.[21] He is a quarterback coach for the Nike Elite 11 Quarterback Camps, Nike Football Training Camps, and has trained many high school and Division 1 quarterbacks.[22] In 2008, Martin created the "Dual Threat" Quarterback Camp and Academy in Atlanta, Georgia.

1 minute ago, Special K said:

Exactly...I hate how every time the Bills interview a minority candidate, people have to jump on here and dismiss the guy as a Rooney rule interview.....it’s ignorant perspectives like this that make the Rooney rule necessary in the first place.

Disagree. The rule creates the perspective not the other way around. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't see why unless its for the Rooney rule.  What am I missing here?  Feels like the Ravens have been terrible at finding WR's in draft or free agency for years. 

Marquise Brown even took 3 years to finally have a decent year this season, and it was just solid but not anything crazy.  

I mean, there is really good information on why this may be a good thing in this very thread. Scroll back, I suppose?

Also, context is a good thing. In Tee's 1st season coaching him Brown went over 1,000 yards and had 90+ catches with Jackson and Jackson Lite passing him the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't see why unless its for the Rooney rule.  What am I missing here?  Feels like the Ravens have been terrible at finding WR's in draft or free agency for years. 

Marquise Brown even took 3 years to finally have a decent year this season, and it was just solid but not anything crazy.  

I mean, do some even basic research dude.

Compare his resume to Dorsey's.

He's been with the Ravens 1 season. He isnt the GM, so he isnt drafting or signing WRs. He coached Brown for only this past season (his first decent one).

• Like (+1) 1

Wishful wondering perhaps, but McDermott and Payton go way back. The Seans were in mutual admiration of their respective crafts with years of Panthers vs. Saints. Sean Payton does not need to prove himself in another HC job, certainly.

How attractive would the prospect of crafting an offense for JA and co. be to Sean Payton. Rather attractive, I'd venture.

Edited by theRalph

Just now, theRalph said:

Wishful wondering perhaps, but McDermott and Payton go way back. The Seans were in mutual admiration of their respective crafts with years of Panther vs. Saints. Sean Payton does not need to prove himself in another HC job, certainly.

How attractive would the prospect of crafting an offense for JA and co. be to Sean Payton. Rather attractive, I'd venture.

The knock on Payton is that he'd essentially be a 1-year rental and gone once the Dallas HC spot opens up in 2023.

Which could be fine, and gives us more time to find the up-and-comer we really want to hire. But will cause more instability and turn over when Payton leaves and tries to take guys with him too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Disagree. The rule creates the perspective not the other way around. 

The rule is not ideal, but it is not the problem....the real problem is the fact that this guy probably wouldn’t get an interview without the rule.....when that changes, the rule can go away.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.