KC Sports radio - loss is on Mahomes but it took Bills and Bengals to take the Chiefs out of the SB

YoloinOhio

Mahomes was shot. The Bills game was brutal. He ran out of gas in second half against Bengals. Like mental and physically exhausted. He is an extraordinary player but is human. He play was so out of character that exhaustion had to play a role. 

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

As I said elsewhere, Mahomes' performance in from the last five seconds of the first half onward to the end was one of the most baffling performances I've ever seen by a genuinely elite player. It was like he had the yips -- just a total meltdown in all areas of his game: decision making (including internal clock management), physical movement, and accuracy.  The sequence at the very end of regulation (the two sacks and the fumble) was just ridiculous.  His play over that 30-plus minute stretch really wasn't any better than Nathan Peterman, and I'm not trying to be funny. Just bizarre.

It felt like the first time he's become self-aware of his legacy and felt real pressure.   Yips is definitely the way to describe it.   Maybe that stupid play at the end of the half triggered something mentally.

It's been a little disconcerting watching Mahomes come into the league and play like he carries no weight on his shoulders when it matters.

That Mahomes half looked like one of those old fashioned choke jobs that would inevitably plague Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Brett Favre or Peyton Manning at some point........it really was a career-first for him.    

Will be interesting to see if Burrow has his moment in the SB............I can certainly imagine Stafford throwing away a SB...........he threw away that NFCCG but Tart dropped it. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It felt like the first time he's become self-aware of his legacy and felt real pressure.   Yips is definitely the way to describe it.   Maybe that stupid play at the end of the half triggered something mentally.

It's been a little disconcerting watching Mahomes come into the league and play like he carries no weight on his shoulders when it matters.

That Mahomes half looked like one of those old fashioned choke jobs that would inevitably plague Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Brett Favre or Peyton Manning at some point........it really was a career-first for him.    

Will be interesting to see if Burrow has his moment in the SB............I can certainly imagine Stafford throwing away a SB...........he threw away that NFCCG but Tart dropped it. 

Yup, and I would not be surprised if Stafford throws multiple picks. He has it in him, deep.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly, they could've just ran the ball the 2nd half with their rotational rb's. It was working earlier for nice chunks and should've worked with the 8 dropping backs. Reminds me of the Bills when they run well then abandon it the next half, houston wildcard game was one.

1 hour ago, motorj said:

Honestly, they could've just ran the ball the 2nd half with their rotational rb's. It was working earlier for nice chunks and should've worked with the 8 dropping backs. Reminds me of the Bills when they run well then abandon it the next half, houston wildcard game was one.

Hopefully that crap is gone the way of the NY Giants.

A lot want to blame Mahomes...

With KC coaching, what happened to running the ball and playing good defense. Last time I looked Patrick Mahomes didn't give up the 21 points to the Bengals. 

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was listening to 610 KC this morning to get their take and they absolutely filleted Mahomes for his performance in the last 30:05 of the game. But I found their assessment of why that happened interesting. They said that the 13 seconds from last week is what led to him falling apart vs the Bengals in OT. And that the game they were forced to play by the Bills spilled over into yesterday and they couldn’t recover.

First, because he was able to hero his team to victory in the 13 seconds last week, he felt like he could do it again but situationally it was the wrong decision. He had running lanes and didn’t take them. He could have thrown the ball away and didn’t. He ran around in circles and tried to make the amazing play that never materialized because he thought it was his right after last week.

The narrative they had is the team itself acted like they won the SB last week. They came out after the half thinking it was over, they were blowing out Cincy after beating the better team already last week, and their plans for LA were already in motion. They used up all their juice last week, they were tired and overwhelmed by having to do it again yesterday. Last week took too much out of them. It took the Bills and Bengals to keep them out of the SB.

just found it interesting, not positive or negative 

This analysis resonates with me.  They were mollywopping the Bengals in the first half.  And then they did the inexcusable.  The kind of play that would have nailed any other QB not named Brady, Mahomes or Rodgers to a cross.  It was a mistake made out of supreme confidence or arrogance.  You decide.  Andy Reid in a decision that he will rue for many a moon, let Mahomes talk him out of the common sense approach.  At the time, it was hard to blame the decision, but the execution was abysmal.  And it energized the Bengals. 

Romo began the game by ballyhooing the KC dink and dunk approach. It was on display and working, drive after drive after drive.  The Chiefs, as they were want to do most of the season, let up in the second half.  And when the Bengals tightened up the game, Mahomes reverted.  And it was both ugly and awesome at the same time.  He got inpatient and tried to make those crazy plays, except they were not there.  And he tried harder.  And they were not there. 

And when the day was done, all Chiefs fans, all Chiefs players, all Chiefs coaches and all Chiefs apologists woke up feeling like Buffalo did on Monday morning.  A game in hand was literally ripped away by poor defense and coaching.  The only thing that separates the two events is that Patty gift wrapped it for the Bengals.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, dma0034 said:

The AFC is going to be so difficult to win going forward. With Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Herbert and Jackson potentially being playoff opponents every year (that's not including the possibility of Rodgers coming to the AFC or Lawrence/Jones becoming good). It could potentially be a Slugfest. You could have an AFC playoff picture that has: Allen, Burrows, Herbert, Jackson, Rodgers, Mahomes and Carr in next year and you are going to have to beat 2 maybe 3 verd good/elite QBs to get into the SB.

You may be right, but I've never seen that many good QBs at one time. Some will most likely regress, could be the vaunted Mahomes, who knows.

If we get 6 or 7 all pro type QBs in the AFC as soon as Buffalo gets a QB, that will be brutal.

• Agree 1

Just watched the second half today. Looked like Mahomes was still seeing the ghost of Josh Allen out there. He was running around backwards trying to do too much. Surely some kind of hangover from the previous weeks game. Bengals did a good job stopping him from getting the edge when he ran. The Bills absolutely should have had a 3 man line at most in the final 00:13. Would have won easily even without a squib kick. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

15 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Yup, and I would not be surprised if Stafford throws multiple picks. He has it in him, deep.

I hate to say it, and you're both correct about Stafford's potential 😬

I had hoped being coached by McVay and surrounded by good players/supported by a good Defense would work it out of him, but Oh Boy, There it Was in the NFCCG.

11 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Just watched the second half today. Looked like Mahomes was still seeing the ghost of Josh Allen out there. He was running around backwards trying to do too much. Surely some kind of hangover from the previous weeks game. Bengals did a good job stopping him from getting the edge when he ran. The Bills absolutely should have had a 3 man line at most in the final 00:13. Would have won easily even without a squib kick. 

I think the difference is, the Bengals actually have a 3 man line that can get pressure and contain, with Hendrickson.

The Bills don't.

14 hours ago, wjag said:

This analysis resonates with me.  They were mollywopping the Bengals in the first half.  And then they did the inexcusable.  The kind of play that would have nailed any other QB not named Brady, Mahomes or Rodgers to a cross.  It was a mistake made out of supreme confidence or arrogance.  You decide.  Andy Reid in a decision that he will rue for many a moon, let Mahomes talk him out of the common sense approach.  At the time, it was hard to blame the decision, but the execution was abysmal.  And it energized the Bengals. 

Romo began the game by ballyhooing the KC dink and dunk approach. It was on display and working, drive after drive after drive.  The Chiefs, as they were want to do most of the season, let up in the second half.  And when the Bengals tightened up the game, Mahomes reverted.  And it was both ugly and awesome at the same time.  He got inpatient and tried to make those crazy plays, except they were not there.  And he tried harder.  And they were not there. 

And when the day was done, all Chiefs fans, all Chiefs players, all Chiefs coaches and all Chiefs apologists woke up feeling like Buffalo did on Monday morning.  A game in hand was literally ripped away by poor defense and coaching.  The only thing that separates the two events is that Patty gift wrapped it for the Bengals.

Well put.  Beautiful assessment, just add "ripped away by poor offensive play, poor defense, and coaching".

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

With KC coaching, what happened to running the ball and playing good defense. Last time I looked Patrick Mahomes didn't give up the 21 points to the Bengals. 

Mahomes deserves most of the blame. 

The play where he nearly fumbles the game away at the end of regulation from the TV angle looks like a classic coverage sack. From the all 22 he has Kelce with leverage on his defender at the front of the endzone and for a completely inexplicable reason instead of throwing him the ball he does a stupid pirouette.   

The all22 of Mahomes 2nd half on Sunday is downright ugly and if Josh Allen played a half that bad in the playoffs we'd be getting told bad Josh had reappeared. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Last I looked Mahomes scored 3 points after halftime while throwing 2 picks and getting sacked several times on crucial drives.  He looked like Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblach had a baby yip.  

he STUNK. 

The Bengals have a good offense.  Scoring 21 in a half isn’t very shocking

Just now, NewEra said:

Last I looked Mahomes scored 3 points after halftime while throwing 2 picks and getting sacked several times on crucial drives.  He looked like Steve Sax and Chuck Knoblach had a baby yip.  

he STUNK. 

The Bengals have a good offense.  Scoring 21 in a half isn’t very shocking

However they only scored 14 in the second half.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Bengals have played great as a team to get to where they are. But their offense hasn’t been nearly as explosive as it was at times in the regular season

Good enough to win.  Very reminiscent to Eli Manning & the NYG.  

Just now, NewEra said:

Haha, thanks.  My bad.  I should’ve fact checked before I blindly took the word of such a bad post. 

No problem, more just pointing out they weren't that explosive.  Just a weird time and playoffs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.