KC Sports radio - loss is on Mahomes but it took Bills and Bengals to take the Chiefs out of the SB

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought they came out in the 2nd half looking past the Bengals.  It wasn't just on Mahomes though.  His guys had a number of dropped balls they would ordinarily haul in - Kelce, Hill, etc.

It's funny how when those two guys don't play well or get taken out of the game plan, Mahomes doesn't have that extra gear to take over the game by himself and find other contributors.

I mean, it's not like he ran for a bunch of huge first downs and found Byron Pringle for 4 TDs, is it?

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, SF Bills Fan said:

I was listening to the main Austin sports talk radio this morning and they pinned the loss mostly on Mahommes. They said he looked completely confused and detached with his play. He was flipping the ball on several passes and the one led to the first INT. They did blame the coaching for mismanaging the final drive where the Chiefs ended up with the 1st and goal on the 5, yet were more concerned about eating up the clock rather than scoring because they felt that a TD was a forgone conclusion. The Bengals put up relentless pressure driving back Mahommes who seemingly couldn't understands that the Chiefs were not going to get an easy shovel pass type TD (makes you wonder what would have happened if we had put real pressure on Mahommes in those 13 seconds). 

I agree- the Chiefs got cocky and thought they had their ticket punched through to LA and a less talented but hungrier team did not lay down and let it happen. I don't think the Bills would have taken the Bengals for granted. 

Everything contributed to the KC loss, the bad decision before the half, thinking they already won up 21 (remember the Oilers?), the lack of emotional and physical reserves after playing the Bills in that epic last week, over-confidence/arrogance.

But, I agree with the bold statement above. Watching the game in real time as Romo was talking about them trying to use up the clock, I was saying to myself, that's a mistake, just get the TD (not that I wanted them to win, just thinking what I would do in that situation). Rather than focusing on just scoring the TD, they tried to score with as little time left as possible, wasting downs to run the clock down on that last series of regulation (I think that decision was directly due to Josh Allen and the Bills last week and the last time they played the Bengals). But, in their arrogance, they assumed they could score on any one play from the 5 (or wherever). So rather than having multiple shots at a winning TD, they basically gave themselves only one real chance...and then failed. It was like it was a combination of arrogance and fear at the same time. Not a good combination.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I personally think the Arrowhead mystique is done with.... They essentially got punched in the mouth in their own house 2 weeks in a row. They just so happened to get bailed out by an epic coaching meltdown. 

It doesn’t seem like anyone has a huge home field advantage these days. Would I rather we had home field? Yes, I’d love the number one seed next year, but home field isn’t the unstoppable force it once was. 

2 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

It doesn’t seem like anyone has a huge home field advantage these days. Would I rather we had home field? Yes, I’d love the number one seed next year, but home field isn’t the unstoppable force it once was. 

I'd go further.  Out of four games last weekend and two yesterday, the home teams lost all of them except the Chiefs beating the Bills (and even that one obviously could have gone the other way) and the Rams winning a close one.

Edited by Utah John
  • Like (+1) 1

Wanna dissect it?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/what-in-the-world-happened-to-patrick-mahomes-after-halftime-examining-chiefs-qbs-play-in-afc-title-game/

"After a nearly flawless first half in which he went 18 of 22 for 220 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions, Mahomes had a dud of epic proportions in the second half and overtime. 

Mahomes dropped back 24 times after halftime. He completed 8 of 18 passes for 55 yards with two interceptions, four sacks, and no touchdowns."

"By naturally clogging throwing lanes with eight in coverage, spying the quarterback, simulating pressure with corner blitzes, and allowing Bell -- and occasionally fellow safety Bates -- to roam free over the middle, Mahomes and the Chiefs were epically perplexed. It was a master class in proper defensive adjustment by coordinator Lou Anarumo, and his players executed fantastically."

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, folz said:

Everything contributed to the KC loss, the bad decision before the half, thinking they already won up 21 (remember the Oilers?), the lack of emotional and physical reserves after playing the Bills in that epic last week, over-confidence/arrogance.

But, I agree with the bold statement above. Watching the game in real time as Romo was talking about them trying to use up the clock, I was saying to myself, that's a mistake, just get the TD (not that I wanted them to win, just thinking what I would do in that situation). Rather than focusing on just scoring the TD, they tried to score with as little time left as possible, wasting downs to run the clock down on that last series of regulation (I think that decision was directly due to Josh Allen and the Bills last week and the last time they played the Bengals). But, in their arrogance, they assumed they could score on any one play from the 5 (or wherever). So rather than having multiple shots at a winning TD, they basically gave themselves only one real chance...and then failed. It was like it was a combination of arrogance and fear at the same time. Not a good combination.

I'm not sure that's a great take. 

Once the Chiefs got down into the Cincy Red zone, the only play that I think meets your description was a run to McKinnon on 1st down from the 5 yd line.  And I think the idea there was to maybe get a few yards, 2nd and 2 or 3 - which open up a different stable of plays.  McKinnin had just gained 14 yds on 2nd and 1, so it's not like he'd been getting stuffed for no gain that drive.

Prior to that, there were 2 Mahomes scrambles for 4 yds and a 2 yd pass to Kelce.  I don't think that was "arrogantly milking the clock", I think Cincy clamped down and Mahomes didn't have good alternatives.  Now they were on the 5 yd line (see above), and after the McKinnon run, there were two horrible Mahomes sacks, the second a sack-fumble that gave me "acid flashbacks" of the Bills playoff loss to Houston.

I don't think Mahomes was running around like a headless chicken on those 2 sacks because he was "arrogantly milking the clock".  I think he was desperately looking for a play. 

In hindsight, especially on 2nd down, he probably should have pulled it down and scrambled while he still had a lane.  He might have scored, or again got it down to 3rd and 1 which opens up a new stable of plays.

4 hours ago, dma0034 said:

Well that's the crazy part. If Brady retires and Rodgers goes to the AFC.... the best 4 QBs in the NFC are Murray, Prescott and Stafford and Wilson. You could be looking at the AFC having the best 5 QBs and 7 of the best 10 overall imo

Rodgers to the Broncos would be cool

5 hours ago, dma0034 said:

The AFC is going to be so difficult to win going forward. With Mahomes, Allen, Burrows, Herbert and Jackson potentially being playoff opponents every year (that's not including the possibility of Rodgers coming to the AFC or Lawrence/Jones becoming good). It could potentially be a Slugfest. You could have an AFC playoff picture that has: Allen, Burrows, Herbert, Jackson, Rodgers, Mahomes and Carr in next year and you are going to have to beat 2 maybe 3 verd good/elite QBs to get into the SB.

How could you possibly leave MJ10 out of the list?

Edited by No_Matter_What

2 hours ago, BRH said:

It's funny how when those two guys don't play well or get taken out of the game plan, Mahomes doesn't have that extra gear to take over the game by himself and find other contributors.

I mean, it's not like he ran for a bunch of huge first downs and found Byron Pringle for 4 TDs, is it?

You mean like Diggs vs. KC?????

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I was listening to 610 KC this morning to get their take and they absolutely filleted Mahomes for his performance in the last 30:05 of the game. But I found their assessment of why that happened interesting. They said that the 13 seconds from last week is what led to him falling apart vs the Bengals in OT. And that the game they were forced to play by the Bills spilled over into yesterday and they couldn’t recover.

First, because he was able to hero his team to victory in the 13 seconds last week, he felt like he could do it again but situationally it was the wrong decision. He had running lanes and didn’t take them. He could have thrown the ball away and didn’t. He ran around in circles and tried to make the amazing play that never materialized because he thought it was his right after last week.

The narrative they had is the team itself acted like they won the SB last week. They came out after the half thinking it was over, they were blowing out Cincy after beating the better team already last week, and their plans for LA were already in motion. They used up all their juice last week, they were tired and overwhelmed by having to do it again yesterday. Last week took too much out of them. It took the Bills and Bengals to keep them out of the SB.

just found it interesting, not positive or negative 

I posted earlier last week before the game that I questioned how much the Chiefs would have left in the tank and predicted a Bengals win because of it.

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Did they take the Chiefs for granted? I think that's kind of a given. They're a better football team in pretty much every way.

I watched 5 minutes max.  They were marching up and down the field the whole first half and  had over 300 yards offense and then poof it all disappeared.  

They were 1st & goal from the 5 @ the 2 minute warning and couldn't figure out what to do.....  

I was listening to 610 KC this morning to get their take and they absolutely filleted Mahomes for his performance in the last 30:05 of the game. But I found their assessment of why that happened interesting. They said that the 13 seconds from last week is what led to him falling apart vs the Bengals in OT. And that the game they were forced to play by the Bills spilled over into yesterday and they couldn’t recover.

First, because he was able to hero his team to victory in the 13 seconds last week, he felt like he could do it again but situationally it was the wrong decision. He had running lanes and didn’t take them. He could have thrown the ball away and didn’t. He ran around in circles and tried to make the amazing play that never materialized because he thought it was his right after last week.

The narrative they had is the team itself acted like they won the SB last week. They came out after the half thinking it was over, they were blowing out Cincy after beating the better team already last week, and their plans for LA were already in motion. They used up all their juice last week, they were tired and overwhelmed by having to do it again yesterday. Last week took too much out of them. It took the Bills and Bengals to keep them out of the SB.

The quality of football yesterday at Arrowhead was a big dropoff from the prior week.......the two teams mostly played down to each others level.

That performance by Cinci would have gotten them beaten handily by either Buffalo or KC the week before.

Burrow gets a lot of credit but he threw a lot of passes into harms way compared to the level of QB play we saw the week before.    

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The quality of football yesterday at Arrowhead was a big dropoff from the prior week.......the two teams mostly played down to each others level.

That performance by Cinci would have gotten them beaten handily by either Buffalo or KC the week before.

Burrow gets a lot of credit but he threw a lot of passes into harms way compared to the level of QB play we saw the week before.    

As I said elsewhere, Mahomes' performance in from the last five seconds of the first half onward to the end was one of the most baffling performances I've ever seen by a genuinely elite player. It was like he had the yips -- just a total meltdown in all areas of his game: decision making (including internal clock management), physical movement, and accuracy.  The sequence at the very end of regulation (the two sacks and the fumble) was just ridiculous.  His play over that 30-plus minute stretch really wasn't any better than Nathan Peterman, and I'm not trying to be funny. Just bizarre.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

Congrats to Cincy unlike the Bills coaching on Defensive side their coaches had a plan and then made adjustments at the half when plan A was not working.  Rushing 3 with 4th man dropping to watch for dump pass to running back or Mahomes escaping the pocket.  Yesterday just was another example on why you need replace Frazier,  he never adjusts and sticks with bend but don't break.  Get rid of this clown

• Like (+1) 1

Something i noticed while watching the 2nd half highlights.. not only was Mahomes blowing off some easy yards (not) scrambling... Kelce was loafing around and barely trying to get open on some of the plays when Mahomes was desperate to get rid of the ball.   I mean against Buffalo these guys were so sharp and easily creating space.  Cinci flustered them so much.. credit to them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.